What's new

News on Playstation3 DTS-MA decoding & 1080 deinterlacing support (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
EngadgetHD.com is reporting on a AV Watch interview that discusses the new 2.20 update and BD-Live. The interesting part is that AV Watch was able to get a little more insight into why DTS-MA decoding is still not part of the PS3 feature set.

Link

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
video in link

Big upgrade for the store.

Besides MA also adds DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Good news of course but does anyone even use this codec?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
PS3 firmware v2.30 walkthrough: DTS-HD MA support / new PS Store included - Engadget HD

"Oh sweet mercy, what have we here? A sneak peek (on video) of the looming PlayStation Store revamp and a confirmation of DTS-HD Master Audio output in the next PS3 firmware update, that's what. Over on the PlayStation Blog, we're casually walked through the impending v2.30 update, and just as we had heard, Blu-ray fans can shout in unison as the inclusion of their favorite audio codec (as well as DTS-HD High Resolution Audio) is just days away. Word on the street has v2.30 headed down the pipes on April 15th, and if you're eager to catch a glimpse of some more stills from the made-over PS Store, head on over to Joystiq."

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Just to be clear--the PS3 will internally decode DTS HD MA but NOT output it in bitstream to be decoded elsewhere? Not a complaint, just want to know how it works.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Correct the PS3 will ouput internally decoded codecs (DTS HD MA, Dolby True HD, Etc.) via LPCM to your receiver.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

There are releases that use it, especially some import ones.

Since PS3 (probably) doesn´t support "bitstream" and new HD-audio tracks will be send as "PCM" to the receiver, I guess we have to trust the reviews and back covers etc for the "Master" or "High Resolution" info... Most US-titles from the bigger studios now tend to use "Master" (or "Dolby TrueHD" and "PCM").

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Remember to set your audio output settings on the PS3 to "PCM" out, not "bitstream", when we get DTS-HD MA decoding next week (just the same as for Dolby TrueHD.) Otherwise you will only be getting the 1.5mbps DTS "core".

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Well it never fails... the minute I think I have some cool tech rumor to post about I get trumped by a press release. :D

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
I'm still in the standard def age as far as receivers go, so I think I need a little more clarity on this.

As was stated, the PS3 internally decodes DTS-HD, DTS-MA, and Dolby TrueHD. This PCM data is then transported via the HDMI cable to any HDMI capable receiver (regardless of labeled abilities to decode said formats). This signal can only be transported via HDMI and not via optical cables. The receiver then outputs the data as 6-8 channel sound with the resulting speaker output equivalent to a DTS-MA/DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD capable receiver doing the conversion itself. Am I correct so far?

Newer, dedicated Blu-ray players without onboard decoding capabilities would then presumably need to pass the high-resolution audio via HDMI to a compatible receiver to decode the sound.

This then brings me to two questions:

1) Would any HDMI capable receiver be able to receive the PS3's signal and output high resolution audio, or are specifically labeled receivers necessary?

and

2) Why can't the PS3 just pass the original, un-decoded (would that be "coded" :) ) signal to receivers capable of their own HD audio decoding?

mike.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

1) The receiver has to be capable of accepting and processing (performing bass management, speaker levels, etc.) incoming multichannel PCM via it's HDMI input. Some "HDMI" receivers only do video switching for HDMI and can't do anything with audio, others can only accept 2 channel PCM via HDMI, others will accept multichannel PCM but won't do any signal processing such as bass management or speaker levels etc.

2) A limitation of the PS3's HDMI chip prevents it from being able to output the raw Tru-HD or DTS-MA bitstream via HDMI for decoding by a receiver.

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
So, what HDMI receivers will do all of the above? I'm leaning heavily toward the PS3, but want to make sure the receiver I upgrade to has the chops.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Good points. Some older HDMI-receivers might be rather crippled, but I believe most of the newer ones do the job. You´ll need HDMI 1.3-receiver, IF the player will output only "bitstream" (=receiver decodes the audio). IF the player will decode the HD-audio (and then outputs it as "PCM"), also e.g. HDMI 1.1/2.1 will work (more: High-Definition Multimedia Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) .

I believe at the moment, there are HD-players that do (with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD) only "internal decoding" (probably the case with PS3, it seems), only "bitstream", or both (e.g. upcoming Panasonic DMP-BD50). See this thread for more info about the different players: Current Blu-Ray Player Specs and Comparisons - AVS Forum

(if the link to avsforum is wrong, please remove it mods - I could understand that...)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Thanks for the help and information. I guess I'll have to study the manuals for any potential receiver to make sure I get the right one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks