What's new

News about future Batman animated DVD's. (1 Viewer)

BrandonJF

Second Unit

I think there may have been some preliminary advertising using the "Gotham Knights" title - I can't be positive. When I read the term "Gotham Knights" throughout the thread, I knew exactly what he was talking about and seemed to have recalled the same thing.

In Paul Dini's "Batman Animated" book, many of the sketches for that show refer to it as "Gotham Knights" and there is some artwork in there that uses the "Gotham Knights" logo. Maybe that artwork had been floating around somewhere during that time... The book says that they had wanted it called "Batman Gotham Knights", but the network preferred "The New Batman Adventures". I'm still not sure if it ever aired as "Batman Gotham Knights", or if it was changed to "The New Batman Adventures" once the WB began the whole "The New Batman/Superman Adventures" thing. The first episode was called "Holiday Knights", a play on the original title, I'd imagine.

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
I don't know if they'll use the "The New Batman/Superman Adventures" opening. A reruns of Batman episodes #86 - 109 (TNBA) and Superman #14 - 54 (TNSA) featured their original opening titles (Batman with the BTAS, and Superman with the first season STAS opening).

And yes, the original concept name was "Batman: Gotham Knight" and there was concept art done for it (when Creeper was still being considered in a regular 'comical' role), but that was dropped for the network preferred "The New Batman Adventures."

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
Just a little extra related news:

Names revealed for upcoming 'The Batman,' and 'Teen Titans' DVDs

An official announcement on these titles should be coming anyday now, just in time for Tuesday's big releases? AVP? Nope! Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow? Awesome movie...but nope. I mean Batman: The Animated Series - Volume 2 and Superman: The Animated Series - Volume 1!

And what the? Is WB considering a new Superman cartoon...?

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Good to hear that these series will likely be immortalized completely on DVD.

Now if only the Justice League will follow suit...

...And dare I say a SE of The Mask of the Phantasm? :D

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I think the problem with TNBA vs B:GK is that a lot of the fans prefer the B:GK name (and obviously the TPTB do as well) which is why its labeled two different ways on the internet. I think the word play (Gotham Knights/Nights) fits the show better.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Where I watched the show (living in St. Louis at the time), it was The New Batman Superman Adventures. Personally, I'd love to see a set of the originally aired combined episodes. Yeah, I know, they have to appeal to Superman fans and Batman fans who don't want to buy the other show...

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor

So "The Batman", which (as far as I know) JUST finished airring its first season for the first time is already getting a volume 1 DVD release, while the "Batman: The Animated Series" DVD releases are spaced approximately six months apart? No fair. :frowning:

Christi P

Agent
I bought the first Batman Animated Series set, and I am enjoying it.

There seem to be quite a few other animated Batman series. How are all these connected? And do the Justice League and Teen Titan series use the same mythology, or is each series a reboot with new versions of the characters?

Christi P

Ronald Hill

Auditioning
Hey Jim, do you think that they might announce a new Justice League (or Static Shock) DVD with these new single-discs? I think that would rock immensely.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Justice League is within the same continuity as Batman The Animated Series/The Adventures of Batman and Robin/The New Batman Adventures and Superman The Animated Series. They have even referred to events that occurred in the previous series'.

Teen Titans is totally out there on it's own. Completely different style and tone.

Rob T

Screenwriter

It is in the same world, despite the different style and tone. Batman has made reference to Robin being with the Titans at least once that I know of.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

That doesn't mean the two series take place in the same world. The Teen Titans have been a part of the DC Universe for decades. A reference to them on one of the other animated shows doesn't necessarily mean they are referring to the version depicted in the current show.

The Robin character on Teen Titans isn't anywhere near the character in the other shows. Plus, all signs point to the TT Robin character being Dick Grayson, which would put Teen Titans years before the other DC animated shows' continuity (Dick Grayson started in college on BTAS and was last seen as Nightwing).

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
For the record, the history is like this:

the show without a real title, simply known to many as Batman The Animated Series; eventually renamed and it's last group of original episodes aired as The Adventures of Batman & Robin; also, there was a theatrical movie, Batman (The Animated Movie): Mask of the Phantasm, plus a direct-to-video film, Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero, and a couple of video games: The Adventures of Batman & Robin, Batman: Vengeance and Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu .

The show without a real title, simply know as Superman The Animated Series was made.

Both shows eventually were merged into an hour long group of an episode of Batman and an episode of Superman or vice versa or two episodes of Batman or two episodes of Superman; there were aired under the title of The New Batman Superman Adventures; a direct-to-video film, Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman.

A spinoff was made titled Batman Beyond; this in itself got a spinoff titled The Zeta Project; there is also a direct-to-video film, Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker.

A separate series called Static Shock had a few crossovers with the other DCAU shows.

Then came Justice League, and that transformed (or ended and a new show took it's place, depending on one's view of the situation), titled Justice League Unlimitd

As for Teen Titans, Krypyo and other future episodes in the DCAU, it remains to be seen. Some of the same creative staff are working on those shows; whether there is continuity, who knows? Teen Titans is particularly weird. All the subtle hints in the show point to Robin as being Dick Grayson under the mask; based on age, size and other factors, if this is the DCAU Dick Grayson, the show is chronologically a prequel to most episodes of Batman The Animated Series.

But... the weird thing is that Scott Menville, the voice of Robin in the Titans series, also provided the voice of what is clearly the Tim Drake version of Robin in the video game Batman Rise of Sin Tzu. Also, in an episode of Static Shock, when Batman met Static alone, unlike a previous crossover adventure together, and thus Batman was asked where Robin was. He responded by saying that Robin was with the Titans.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I believe it was a Static Shock episode where Batman made an appearance. I believe it was called "Hard As Nails". It was the second Bats appearance on the show. Static comes to Gotham. And while in the Batcave. Static asks where Robin is. And Bats responds with the Titans quote. He then makes a comment something about that Static might meet them eventually.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Also (back on to the TT/BTAS continuity question) that Static Shock episode aired before the Teen Titans animated series began it's run and the Robin in question at the time would have been Tim Drake, further breaking any possible continuity between the two current DC animated universes (well, three, I guess, if you count The Batman).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

There was a Justice League Unlimited "before" the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited shows. Members included an older Superman (visible gray/white hair); Big Barda (of New Genesis); a Green Lantern (none of the ones we know), and a few others.

This JLU appeared once, on a two-part Batman Beyond episode. Superman recruits Bruce's protege to help him find the traitor within the JLU. Turns out the traitor is none other than Superman himself: a Superman wearing a mind-controlling starfish that has plans to take over the Earth.

They didn't call the critter "Starro, the Starfish Conquerer", but it was clearly a somewhat less over-the-top version of him. And it had come to the Fortress as part of the Preserver's zoo collection from Superman:TAS "The Main Man".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks