What's new

News About Arrested Development on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I knew this was coming when I asked Peter in the Fox Chat earlier this year and said he was working on it and it should be alot of fun. Since then i've heard all kinds of rumors nbout when it was coming etc etc but today I read what was sorta of official confirmation but not close as Fox hasn't officialy announced it.

Here Katie O'Connell who is involved with Imagine Television (the company that produces the show) had this to say.

Q: Can you comment on when we’ll see a DVD release of Arrested Development?

A: Hopefully, late summer.

If this is the date then this is better what I thought as I assumed possibly September or October. And it's also true what they say this year this summer is the best for TV Shows on DVD.

Here's the official link.

http://the-op.com/view/article.php?sect=2900&a=37

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Good news. I think this bodes well for the series, too - that Fox sees it as a revenue source as opposed to something where they should just cut their losses.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Good news. I had to start deleting shows from tivo because I was running out of room.
They should release it before the premiere of the second season (wishful thinking) to get interest up.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Great news, I watched about the first 4 episodes and than missed a bunch. Glad to have this on DVD!

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Based on Fox's track record with 24, a boxed set before the fall season would make total sense. Of course, this is also the network that cancelled Wonderfalls, so who knows?

I would buy this, no question. I don't watch many sitcoms nowadays (thanks to too many TV shows on DVD I want to watch!), but I watch this one.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
The rest of the interview is also a good read. Thanks Jim.
I know I'd pick it up day one. A DVD release would be an excellent way tp build on the audience.
Hopefully the cast will be involved with the DVD. They all seem to enjoy working on the show. Even David Cross said he liked the show and if he doesn't like something he's not shy to talk about it. Just listen to his stand-up.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully the episodes will be in production order and not in the order they were shown on Fox.

Hopefully we will get Andy Richter too. (It seems like only half the episodes were ever shown on TV.)

BrianJau

Agent
The episodes were mostly shown in production order, but there was a little bit of weirdness with episodes 104, 105, and 106. Apparently because it was a sweeps month, Fox decided to run episodes 105 and 106 (which began the Liza Minelli "Lucille 2" storyline) before airing episode 104. The strange thing is that if you watch episode 105, it appears to take place BEFORE episode 104. In 105 Gob decides to do his magic trick of "escaping" from the prison where George Sr. is being held. And then in 104 he writes a letter to the prison warden, who doubts the validity of his escape attempt. Also in 105 the stair car is introduced for the first time, and Michael is seen driving it in 104. The most non-confusing way to watch the episodes is to watch 105 first, then 104, then 106. I'm not sure how they'll decide to place them on the DVD.

Fox did a similar thing with the Julia Louis Dreyfus episodes (117 and 118), bumping them up and airing them before episode 116 aired. If you watch them in production order there's no problems though.

Also, technically, episode 122 ("Let Them Eat Cake") should be included on the first season DVD, since it was produced for the first season. Due to various complicated reasons involving a George Bush press conference which bumped that week's episode of "24" from being shown, causing "24 to be moved to Sunday, FOX decided not to show this final episode. Supposedly it's been scheduled to air June 6th.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes shows are produced in a different order than their intended to be broadcast; in this case, for instance, it probably fit Liza Minelli's schedule best to shoot her episodes consecutively.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
This is a great show. I hope Fox learns from the success of the Family Guy DVDs and doesn't completely ignore the shows with small but devoted followings. The last thing we need is more of The Simple Life...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Sold!

I think AD is easily the best "sitcom" on TV right now. I'd feel a whole lot better if Fox would make an official announcement regarding the show's fate for next season.

But yeah: Season 1 I'd buy on that first Tuesday. :)

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
I LOVE Arrested Development. One of my only must see's at the moment. I'd buy it on the first day.

I am really hoping Fox will pull a 24 with it and take a chance on a second season.

Joe Road

Agent
Words cannot express how much I LOVE this freakin show. I called fox and sent them letters so they'd better renew this show, because without it I have no reason to watch TV. Let them eat cake was a very funny episode. I never realized that AnYong(sp?) was Maybe's uncle until the announcer said it.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

Same here. I just recently got caught up by watching 14-21 and watching the finale and this show is flat out brilliant. It's amazing how much and how many different types of comedy they pack into a 22 minute episode. They have broad slapstick comedy that they pull off in a way that doesn't seem cheesy, they have character driven comedy, subtle comedy (The family going on the Atkins diet in the finale and in the preview for next season gourging on carb-loaded foods), and just randomly hilarious comedy. The direct cuts to flashbacks are always hysterical. (There's no I in Teamocil...) The most inventive comedy I've seen in years and the best comedy ensemble since Seinfeld.

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
The Show has been renewed for a Second Season. Let's hope it catches on with the audience.

I'm very excited about it getting a DVD release. With a cast that dedicated to the show and a production staff that creative, I'm expecting loads and loads of brilliant extras.

JasonBrown

Stunt Coordinator
Nothing official, of course, but a positive sign nonetheless:

http://www.livejournal.com/community...ths/53049.html

i went to an emmy consideration screening for 'arrested' and met jason bateman, jeffrey tambor, alia shawkat (maeby) and the creator.
it was awesome.

they said to expect a season 1 dvd around october with an "uncut pilot" and other special features which they are making now because there isnt an uncut pilot.

Martin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that's legit.

Anybody know if FOX's fall season is gonna start late like this one? That way an October release would make more sense.

JasonBrown

Stunt Coordinator
re: Fox. Likely. They have the baseball playoffs again this year, which has been the reason for the delay in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks