What's new

Newhart? (1 Viewer)

Alix2190

Auditioning
Real Name
Ali
Huge "Newhart" fan here! I used to watch the show religiously when it was on Nick at Nite. I remember I was so obsessed, I printed out the show's episode guide so I could keep track of which episodes were coming up and which ones I had already seen.

Obviously, I've been waiting for it to come out on DVD, but I was starting to give up hope that it would ever happen. I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I got the first e-mail alert from the site saying that there was news about the show finally being released.

My two favorite characters, Stephanie and Michael, weren't part of the main cast in season 1 -- so obviously I'm hoping that Fox continues on with the release of other seasons. I agree with those of you who've said that the show got better with each passing year.

Does anyone know when we might be hearing about possible bonus features/audio commentary on season 1?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Maybe yes, maybe no. The 80s was when filmed shows started to be edited on video tape. I don't know if earlier Newhart seasons were edited on film or not, but by the end of the series they were editing on video, so we'll be stuck with 1980s-quality film-to-tape transfers at some point.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Newhart switched to tape-based editing in the fall of 1986, so it's from season 5 onward that we should start to worry about picture quality.

Whether it gets that far is another matter. But I really want this show to succeed. Maybe they should have released it backwards.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I missed it but on Sunday's "NBC Weekend Today", they reunited the cast of "Newhart". There were also nice reminisces for the late Tom Poston, Suzanne Pleshette, and Mary Frann.

msnbc.com Video Player

LCD22

Screenwriter

I might have linked it wrong. Try this: msnbc.com Video Player.

If the video doesn't work, go under "TODAY" on the lower left side and then click on "Entertainment". Scroll down and click on the video "A look back at 'Newhart'".

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I purchased the First Season of NEWHART on it release date hoping that FOX would release the final two seasons of The Bob Newhart Show on DVD soon. I puschased all of those on the days they were released also.

I really don't like FOX starting what they can't finish, fans are still waiting for the remaining Mary Tyler Moore Show Seasons and I doubt we'd ever get Rhoda or Phylis at this point. FOX should let Shout Factory or someone handle Rhoda etc. FOX should finish out the bob newhart and mary tyler moore shows. It would help boost sales of previous seasons if all are out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw this at BJ's but there was no price to be found anywhere so it remained on the shelf.

Why retailers expect to sell merchandise with no marked price is perplexing to me.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The stuff showing up at BJs should be pre-tagged . Although you should always mention this lack of tagging to the manager. They should have more of the scanners around the store so you can self check a product before taking up to the counter - like Target does.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I haven't seen Newhart in years and was a big fan of the later seasons (especially the series finale), so I have this to rent next in my Netflix Queue, and I was wondering if anyone happened to rent it first through them. They don't list any "bonus features" on their page, so are they renting out just the episodes or it is a error on their part which they never corrected? Thanks.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I'll be receiving Disc 2 in the mail from Netflix tomorrow, but I just wanted to say that even in the first season (the first eight episodes that I've watched so far) this series was even hilarious. I did read beforehand the review on Sitcoms Online, but is the first season truly unedited? Did you guys notice any edits from the original broadcasts while viewing the DVD? I’m thinking of purchasing The Complete First Season when I'm done renting it. As I tend not to buy seasons (or series) with edited episodes or replaced music, I thought I would double check. And will there be anything down the road that Fox may not want to pay? Thanks.

I should mention that Superstation WGN (now changed to WGN America) will be airing Newhart every Sunday at 8-9pm EST starting June 8th. They're showing the series in broadcast order.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Also, what about the music edits on the season 1 DVD? Are there really a lot of them, like Chris Cook claims that there are?

One to watch out for is in the episode titled "No Tigers at the Circus". It originally had the Mister Ed theme in the scene where Dick watches a TV show. In reruns, it was changed to the theme from The Bob Newhart Show (1972). It's mentioned in the alternate versions section of the shows' IMDB page.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The last time I contacted Fox about this and "The Bob Newhart Show" the reply was "They are not on the schedule". That was about a year ago. I would say with the supposed impending release of the complete "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" that there may be hope, but that release appears to be primarily the result of Oprah (and her viewers) pushing for it. Maybe if she could be convinced to have Bob on the show and gush over his output as she did with Mrs. Moore...

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
I gave up waiting for Fox ages ago and have been acquiring season 2 onwards by "other means". This is a truly hilarious series that has not dated even slightly, and it is an utter travesty that the remaining seasons haven't been made available.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Yup its very funny from start to finish....but then so was Green Acres and where is THAT one??

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd love to see Green Acres finished. I can't complain though, Petticoat Junction is even better and at least we're seeing that one get released.

I hope at least season 2 of Newhart makes it out. The episodes with Leslie as maid and their crazy nextdoor neighbor Kirk were the best of the series. It went downhill when those characters got replaced with Stephanie and Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks