What's new

Newbie setting up klipsch system (1 Viewer)

luanng

Auditioning
Real Name
Luan nguyen
Here is what I have in mind. This will be my first time setting up a home theater. I have a fairly big living room. 18ft by 23 ft. I would love to get some help in choosing the right system. I did a little research. 7.1 system Denon receiver 1913. Front 2 klipsch WF35 floor standing. Center kilpsch WC24. Surround 4 klipsch quintet. My question now is what sub to pair it with and are all the speakers compatible together. ? Budget is between 1400-1800. Any help setting it up would be greatly appreciate!!!

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
Can you specify the room layout I mean things like carpeted/wooden/hard floors, windows, curtains, the actual useable width of the wall that will be used as the main staging area (screen, front left/right/center speakers), seating arrangement, etc??? Also, what is your objective for HT....music or movies?? With $1400-1800 budget, you have tons of options including ID subs. Usually one potent and high powered sub is enough for a room your size.

luanng

Auditioning
Real Name
Luan nguyen
The room is carpeted. I'm mounting the tv on one half of the 23 foot wall. So staging area will be about 12 foot. The other half of the room will be a pool table. Seating is an L shaped couch about 7 foot each way. It will be split music 50 movie 50. I'm trying to fill the whole room with good sound. My first system, my first house also.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Depends on how much bass you want - and how much of the room you are willing to give up. Can go with dual epik Empire's - that would give you 4 15" subs and woud run you $1500....you could even out the bass response throughout the room and have more than enough headroom. You could save a little and go with a single one ($800) - it would be more than enough for 95% of the folks (with the other 5% being the bass nuts...who would perfer the duals...) http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

luanng

Auditioning
Real Name
Luan nguyen
I gotta admit it. I'm a bass junkie. But that is a little too much for me. Lol. My budget is about 1800 for the whole system. I have pry about 400-500 left to get a good sub. Something that will blend with klipsch. I heard klipsch sub is not that good.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nice to know the $1500 isn't just for the sub... The way you originally worded it you were spending $1500 just on the sub.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Something that will blend with klipsch.
Unlike the main speakers, you don't have to worry about blending a sub. The low frequecies do not have the same kind of harmonics. So front 3, definitely, front and surround, a nice touch. But the sub is open. So just pick a known brand. I'm a fan of Hsu, a lot of the forum likes SVS.

luanng

Auditioning
Real Name
Luan nguyen
Would the hsu stf-2 be big enough to cover the sound stage-- expected to be half the room. So 12ft by 18ft. It would put me a Lil over budget. Now I'm pondering between onkyo or denon. I've gotta make this under 1800 so the gf can stay happy !! Thank you for all the help guy. Very good and accurate information.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You won't be the only person for the next month pondering... AVR 1913...or spend less and "get more" with the NR717....and do I need everything the 717 has....and get the 616...

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
$1400-1800 for the entire system and expecting earth shattering bass is being a bit too optimistic. Also, I don't think HSU STF-2 @ 200 watts rms can pressurise room your size and can offer the kind of bass you are looking for. I reckon you raise your sub budget a bit. Also, If you want more value for money; go with onkyo. Denons cost a lot for all bells and whistles.

luanng

Auditioning
Real Name
Luan nguyen
The speaker altogether will cost me about 1100. I have about 600-900 at max to get a receiver and sub. So I should put about 200 toward a receiver. And 700 on the sub?? I don't know what will fit best for me as I said before. I'm very new to this and all the information seem to cluster up sometime. I am willing to learn and take input. Again, I am very thankful for all the reply and all the help. Greatly appreciated!!!

BraveHeart123

Second Unit
Real Name
Faisal
So I should put about 200 toward a receiver. And 700 on the sub??
For $200, I reckon you should look at some good used receivers on ebay. For the remaining $700, you can get HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer. If you corner load it; it can pressurise the listening area considerably if you do not go nuts with the volume dial. You can also look at other ID big boys in that range. That's what I would do if I were in your shoes. Do not skimp on the sub coz it is the heart of any system. You can always upgrade your avr when the funds are available.

luanng

Auditioning
Real Name
Luan nguyen
I think I have figured out a way to make this fit my budget. Go with a 5.1 setup for now. Get the sub. Some 200 refurbished receiver. I read somewhere that 80% of my money should go to sub and speakers. I don't know if that's true or not. Does different types of receiver play a role in making your speaker sound better or worse? And how big of a different between 5.1 and 7.1? Again thank you for all the input guys. My eyes have opened up a lot!!!;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only 7.1 content is on BD. And that is only on roughly 40%(is that still accurate, I don't think it has hit 50%, but I'm not one that "lookes for" what is 7.1, I just buy movies I want to see). For the VAST majority of people, 5.1 is fine. Especially if the preponderance of their viewing is TV related. Yes the subwoofer is that important. Is it important enough to go all the way down to a $200 AVR? Only if you'll buy a used AVR. We don't even know all of your sources. An AVR for a good price if you can live without HDMI 1.4 is the Onkyo SR707. It is a "lost step-child" in the used market. The SR706 before it is part of the "last great Onkyo" era(704/705/706 and up) and the NR708 gained networking. The SR707 can be had for around $250. There is nobody on this forum that would kick that AVR out of their theater...if they bought it that cheap. The "new replacement" for the 707 is the 717.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Of all the components of your home theater, you'll wind up replacing the receiver the most (mostly because the technology changes the most rapidly, but also because they fail the quickest these days). And if there's not a specific feature you need, buying the low end of any decent brand receiver will drive your speakers just fine. (The one exception is if you get 4 ohm speakers, and you aren't). The "usual" ratio is 70/30 on the speakers; but 80% puts you in the right state of mind. So to repeat what everyone else said, you can go pretty low on a receiver, although $200 might be a bit too low, and spending the difference on a better sub will money well spent.

luanng

Auditioning
Real Name
Luan nguyen
we don't even know all your sources.
Here are my sources: ps3, planning to play a lot of blue ray on it. No 3d cuz I think it's overrated and gimmicky. HD DVR box. Tower computer. Xbox 360. I listen to music from my phone a lot and mostly depended on my iphone. Something with built-in airplay and iphone remote apps will save me tons of hassle. I think I will wait a couple more weeks and save up a couple more hundred dollar to get a decent receiver. I want the receiver to be relevant within the next couple years. I really really like the denon avr 1913. Haven't heard any bad stuff about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks