What's new

Newbie questions for possible front projector purchase?? (1 Viewer)

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Hi gang;

Now that I got an HD DVD player and a blu-ray player on order, I am considering getting a front projector under 3K. I would like it to be 720p/1080i native, DLP and HDTV ready with DHMI connection. I mostly watch Time Warner HDTV DVR recorded programs(60%). If it is 4x3 , I stretch the image, some video gaming(10%) and widescreen dvds(30%).

Room size:
11' wide by 13" long
Light fully controlled
Projector mounted from 9" ceiling dead center at the back of the room

Screen size:
Not decided yet but, will appreciate any size and aspect ratio recommendations.

Possible projector:
InFocus 76

Can I get a quick definition of 720p and 1080i native resolution and how that will impact watching HD content?

Thanks,

Ian B

Rob||Kur||

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, you're stuck with native 720p at that price point. I don't think there are any 1920x1080 native projectors under 5 figures right now.

A native 720p projector will still give you a very nice image in 720p or 1080i.

SamNavy

Stunt Coordinator
Go get the latest copy of Sound and Vision Magazine, they just had a "Budget" projector shootout. The article should get you pointed in the right direction.

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I had looked at that article and am very interested in the Infocus 76. Any experiences or word of mouth on it?

Thanks again,

Ian B

SamNavy

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I don't have experience with any of the projectors in the article, but they're all 720p LCD or DLP... I would suggest however, that before you spend $2400 on the IN76, you check it out next to the Panny 900u, currently avail for $1800 w/$400 rebate. If you see them side-by-side and can tell a $1000 difference... you make more money than most of us.

JohnnyZ

Grip
As Rob said, that price point is 720p equipment. But the Sanyo Z4 is very nice. Google for the reviews on it. $1700!

PhilDi

Auditioning
With all due respect to SamNavy, if you saw the IN76 and the Panny 900u side-by-side you would see considerable difference in the picture characteristics.

Note that I said "characterisitics" and not "quality". This was intentional since both represent excellent picture "quality" for the money. But the picture "characteristics" are quite different. The IN76 has the typical DLP-type punchy picture, and the 900u has the typical LCD-type picture, which many describe as more film-like.

It is totally a choice based upon personal preference, because when each is matched with the right screen/room combination, they are great. Personally, I prefer the DLP projectors - but that's me.

BTW - I'm a dealer and sell both of these projectors, so I'm not biased one way or the other. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one.

Hope this helps,
Phil

Shane Harg

Second Unit
If it were me, I'd be basing the the decision on screen size and approximate viewing distance. Do you know the screen size you want yet? The room is 13' long, but do you know what your net viewing distance will be?

A good rule of thumb I have found (in doing a lot of FP research myself) is that if you will be viewing 100" or more from a distance of less than 10', something with a more film-like picture (so you won't see inidividual pixels), such as the Panasonic AE900 may be a more appropriate choice. If, however, you will be viewing the same size image at more than 10', something with better pixel separation (and therefore a more razor sharp image), such as the IN76 or Sanyo Z4 may be a better choice.

I believe that the AE900 is just about the only projector capable of projecting an image size of 100" at less than 10', anyway.

whatever the size, I recommend a 16x9 screen for best versatility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks