1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Zelda games underwhelming?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greg_S_H, May 13, 2003.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords GC

The Legend of Zelda: Tetra's Trackers GC

These basically look like GBA-quality games on GameCube discs. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why they need the GC involved at all. Couldn't this be done with four linked GBAs?

I really hope this isn't what was meant by the previously-announced GBA Zelda game and the second GC Zelda.

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Well-Known Member

It's been known for a couple of weeks that the second GC Zelda would be a Four Swords game, so that's not surprising. Not sure what's happening with the supposed GBA Zelda, though, since neither of these is "really" a GBA game.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg
    It wouldn't be surprising if you people would share news when you learn it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still, I really hope we can expect another fully-3D Zelda adventure on the GC.

4. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Well-Known Member

Those look more like tie-ins then actual full new games. Four swards is obviously an expansion of the GBA version, and Tetra's whatever is just a puzzle game. These strike me more as Mario Golf style games that try to tie in with the success of a franchise beyond its original style. I sure HOPE at least that's not the next huge Zelda game.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Well-Known Member

They look fun to me [​IMG]

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Well-Known Member

Nintendo pooched it on this year's E3. They lost out bigtime. These 2 games are just a further example.

What were they thinking?

I've known for months that Nintendo's (particularly the GCN) continued success depended greatly on their showing at E32K3. Did someone forget to tell them?

7. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Well-Known Member

Well, dumping Rare is beginning to look like a smart move, especially after seeing their lackluster line-up.

Other than Halo 2, I haven't really seen anything on consoles that came as surprise.

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

While these 2 games do look like stinkers, there's 3 new GCN Pokemon games, Metroid Prime 2, MGS: Twin Snakes, StarFox 2 (that's the title, apparently), F-Zero (which looks stunning), and Rebel Strike (just to name a few) that they've got at E3.

But for their main franchises of Mario and Zelda, I'm a bit disappointed. I dunno if I expected better or if these games are better than they seem, but I'm not very happy right now. In fact, I'm more excited about what MS is doing with XBL than what Nintendo is doing with GCN/GBA connectivity.

9. Dave F

Dave F Well-Known Member

So much for the "less & better games" idea. I'd rather play the CD-i Zeldas.

-Dave

10. Jean-Michel

No you wouldn't.

11. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Well-Known Member

These simply look like a budget title to help show off some of the stuff that could be done with the GBA/GC connectivity. If that's all, then I don't think it's all bad, and could be rather fun with a GC and a few GB's hooked up.

Any word on the pricing for these?

12. Jean-Michel

Haven't heard anything about pricing. I have a suspicion they will be sold together, though.

13. Morgan Jolley

There's also that Pac-Man game Nintendo is making with Namco. They're really hitting on these party/puzzle games. Seems like they've got some great candidates for introducing online play...

In case you don't know, the Pac-Man game had one player as Pac-Man playing on their GBA while 3 others played as the ghosts on the TV screen using the GameCube controllers. The ghosts can't see the whole map of the maze, whereas Pac-Man can see it all on the GBA. If a ghost catches Pac-Man, then the person playing as the ghost switches controllers with the person playing as Pac-Man. Neat, but I'm not sure the novelty would last too long.

14. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Just to make clear my own position, I don't think these games look bad for what they are. They just aren't the Zelda games I was hoping for. I want another big single-player overhead game on the GBA and another WW-style game on the GC.

15. Morgan Jolley

Doesn't Nintendo also have Spaceworld in August? Maybe we'll see something then to push the holiday game buying rush.

16. John Berggren

John Berggren Well-Known Member

They canned Spaceworld last year in favor of E3 and smaller venue shows through Japan. There is no longer any such creature. E3 is it.

17. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Well-Known Member

The whole Pac-man concept is pretty cool. Hope it is a budget title and not $50. Don't think it's cool enough to warrant $50, but for $20....

18. Morgan Jolley

When Nintendo decided not to have SpaceWorld last year, they said that SpaceWorld was never an annual event, but rather something they just decided to have. If they want to, they could do it again this year.