What's new

New York Travel Question - Woodstock to Manhattan (1 Viewer)

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone,

A friend and I are going to Woodstock New York at the end of the week. On Saturday we would like to go to Manhattan so we can look around... we also have tickets to see the Blue Man Group, which I'm very excited about!

What is the best way to get to Manhattan from Woodstock? We'll have a car, but I've heard that it's probably not wise to drive in the city. Is there somewhere we can park the car and switch to a train, subway, or other form of public transportation?

Any advice from New Yorkers would be greatly appreciated, as this is the longest road trip I've ever taken!

Thanks,
Bob

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Driving to Manhatten from Woodstock NY would most likely be about 2.5 hours give or take a 1/2 hour depending on speed/traffic, etc. But from looking on the map, if you go to Poughkeepsie which is like the New Paltz exit on the NY Thruway (aka I-87) it should not be that far from Woodstock which I think is exit for Saugerties/Woodstock. I would gather about 30-45 minute drive or so. Only like 2 exits I believe, though the exits on the Thruway can be long. Other options which may or may not be faster is to drive further south and pick up the train closer to NYC. Never taken the train from there to NYC anyway.

And yes, you're better off not having a car in NYC. :)

Jay

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy and Jay,

Thanks very much for the detailed directions! I really appreciate your help, seeing as I'm a bit directionally challenged at the best of times :)

I think that we're going to drive south to a station that's a bit closer, so we can hopefully reduce the fare.

This might be a silly question, but would it make more sense for us to get on the subway at one of the more northern stops (Woodlawn or Mosholu Parkway) and just not take the Metro North Railroad? The subway is $2 per person, as opposed to $7 - $10 for the MNR. Can you transfer between the Metro North Railroad and the subway all on the same ticket / ride?

Do any of the northern subway stations have free (or reasonably priced) parking? Or will we hit lots of traffic by the time we're at Woodlawn, making it kind of pointless to drive so far south?

Thanks again for your help planning this trip!

Bob

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
You might hit ALOT of traffic by the time you reached Woodlawn or Dyre which incidently cannot be predicted by time of day or day of week. There is no parking in these areas except whatever you could find on the street (and if you can find your car still there when you come back). Check the zone fare schedule on the Metro North site to find exactly where you can park to reduce the load.
There are no transfers from MN to subway but you can buy a one day funpass to ride the NYCSubway to your hearts content, which helps with the touristy stuff.
Considering that gas is $2 a gallon in the city I really dont see the cost savings in driving all the way south. If your worried about $7 then Manhattan is not the place to visit (welcome to the land of the $2.50 slice of pizza!)

Also consider that boarding the train in Woodlawn will take you through the SBronx, and baby, that aint Toronto!

Bob Movies

Stunt Coordinator
Tommy,

Point taken! :) It's easier to be a cheapskate when you're looking at the map and saying "Look, it's so much closer!"

I think we'll probably take the Metro North Railroad, getting on between Poughkeepsie and Cold Spring (as you first suggested).

I'm very excited about this trip! Thanks again!

LewB

Screenwriter
Bob:
I would do what Jay suggested. NYS Thruway I-87 South to the New Paltz exit, take 299 east to Highland, take 9W south across the Mid-Hudson Bridge and park at the Poughkeepsie Metro-North Station and take the train in to Manhattan. Here is the MTA web site . You can even order the tickets thru the web if you have enough time before your trip. I think you can also purchase a discounted Metro Card at the train station that gives you unlimited bus/subway rides on the NYC transit system for the day. I would advise that you got on in Poughkeepsie as the weekend trains can fill up with lots of us 'hicks' going to 'the big city' for the day.
Believe it or not, the train is actually clean and there is nice view of the Hudson River if you sit on the right side of the train. The ride time is around 1:10 or so. Enjoy your trip to the city and BMG. I saw the show in Vegas and loved it !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks