What's new

New York City public performance cellphone ban (1 Viewer)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
As I stated in another thread:

At a performance of "The Producers" last Christmas some guy kept opening a 14" laptop color tv to watch a sports event. In the dark theater this became distracting. Finally an usher demanded he put the tv away.

In a NYC theaters (live performances) there are many ushers who can easliy locate the offending party. If they can call the police I'm sure they will, just to make an example of someone.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This is great!!!:D I hope Florida follows NYC's lead. I hardly go to movies anymore b/c I'm tired of spending $8 to hear some ones cell phone. I usually only go for a big event like LOTR or Star Wars. My home theater sounds pretty good if not better than some theaters so I just wait for the DVD release. If I had the money I would open the best theater in town. At the door all pagers and phones are turned in and you can get it back after the show. If some one refuses to do this then they are not granted access without a refund.

Now, if only a similar law can be passed banning crying babies from theaters. Parents, your toddler isn't old enough to understand The Two Towers so leave the f'n thing home!!! Get a babysitter or go to blockbuster. New thought, I'll build a kennel in my theater also. Not for animals but for babies.

Back on track, I like this law even though it will be hard to enforce. I hope other cities follow with the same law. It's worth moving to New York for this!:D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Enforcement is definitely going to be a problem. The entire state of New York has a statewide cellphone while driving ban (I believe we were the first to have one). While many officers do pullover cellphone users and ticket them, many more do not; I've even seen some cops using cellphones behind the wheel of a squad car. I haven't really noticed a decrease in cellphone use, either. One assumes that it would be similiar during performances.

But I do commend the law based on principle. It limits the disruption from cellphones, but at the same time allows "on call" professionals the freedom to attend social events, as long as they use vibrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks