What's new

New X-box magazine-the next issue big news (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
In the past year, you could have easily picked up it & a DC to play it on with a couple of pads for the price of a modern game. Your loss"

Yeah, I know BrianB. I don't know why I held off on picking up a Dreamcast. Maybe it was my poor impressions of the Saturn. If I was to get one now I might try to get one of those portable versions.

It looks like the big news is that there is no big news, kinda. So what do you think of OXM, anyway? I don't think it's bad, but if it weren't for the demo disc, I would probably never buy it (then again, I don't really buy video game magazines anyway, prefering to get my news online.) Lately, the content in the magazine has seemed pretty thin - I mean like they've actually cut down on the number of pages...There's just not much in there and I can go through it in half an hour.
Those with the current issue - do the demos (Soul Caliber II, etc) justify a purchase?

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I think the big news they were referring to is on the very last page of the current magazine (page #96). With big red letters spelling "GRAND" with a certain silhouette and a known background...I think this is the big news (more like tease) that they were talking about.
So their big news was a teaser for GTA? Sheesh... You guys are letting OXM off the hook too easy. Even if they just put a few lines in their magazine to sell more copies, they still need to take responsible for their content.

I picked up Xbox Nation recently. It seems like a solid magazine, only no demo discs and they only releases 6 issues per year.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Xbox Nation recently. It seems like a solid magazine, only no demo discs and they only releases 6 issues per year.
Whoever's behind XBN are definite fans of the better UK game mags. Some of their recent layouts (especially the Prince of Persia one) are /heavily/ inspired by the likes of Edge. Lots of whitespace, unlike most US mags that try to cram in as much gumpf as possible.

Content wise, seems okay, though at times it's like they're trying to be the anti-official mag by being overly harsh...

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
[grin] I think assumption is the source of angst spewing from this thread. So pardon me if I inject my own relatively less exorbitant assumption.

Besides, anyone who would compare Bush's lies with a game magazine's hype is obviously being facetious. I was however serious that Deux Ex II is destined for my game collection.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Content wise, seems okay, though at times it's like they're trying to be the anti-official mag by being overly harsh...
I agree. One thing I like about XBN, though, is that they spotlight games that don't get as much as attention from most other sources. Of course, the downside is that I sometimes wonder if some of those games might turn out to be nothing in the end. For instance, one of the early issues talked about Good Cop, Bad Cop, which sounded like a neat idea for a game but there's been so little news about its progress that I wonder if it's actually still coming along.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"Besides, anyone who would compare Bush's lies with a game magazine's hype is obviously being facetious."

Usually I'm the one making deliberately absurd statements that people then mistakenly take at face value. It feels strange having the shoe on the other foot. What can I say, Keith, you got me...

Speaking of video gaming mags in general, one thing that never fails to annoy me is the abundance of so-called "potty humor" employed by reviewers. I've seen way too many variations on statments like "You'll need a change of underwear after you play this game!" Who are these reviews aimed at? Pre-schoolers, or senior citizens with incontinence problems?
Speaking for myself, no video game has ever made me lose control of either my bladder or my bowels, and I get tired of reviewers who repeatedly use this criteria as a standard of excellence...Enough already.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
Larry, I couldn't agree with you more about the potty or lame sexual humor. Whenever a WWE game is pre/reviewed, they always put a screenshot of HHH's pedigree so they can make some unfunny comment.

I also can't stand the phrase "don't get me wrong". I stop reading a story whenever I see that.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Oh I love this thread. New OXBM mag is reaching people's hands, and from IGN, this is the "rumour mole" section:

"I've heard from several people that Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City is still coming to Xbox this year, but the news has been delayed due to the contract with a super uptight Sony..."

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, the picture above the "coming next month" tease is a screen capture of GTA: Vice City with Tommy Vercetti blackened to where he is only shown in silhouette, but the background is in full view. I'm surprised Joey didn't mention that. It's just Vice City being officially announced.

If I had a scanner, I would put up a pic. I'm afraid it's a lot of hype for what's been unofficially offcial for a month or two already, though I assume they will have the first screen shots.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The news of "Vice City" (read: NOT "GTA: Vice City") is about 2 weeks old already.

Mike

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Well, the picture above the "coming next month" tease is a screen capture of GTA: Vice City with Tommy Vercetti blackened to where he is only shown in silhouette, but the background is in full view. I'm surprised Joey didn't mention that. It's just Vice City being officially announced.
I'm talking about the issue /after/ that one, Nick :) There's already a new issues with new reviews/demos in some people's hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks