What's new

New Willy Wonka Pan and Scan ONLY ??????????!!!? (1 Viewer)

Jack_Gardner

Auditioning
According to dvdfile.com Warner Bros. has dropped the anamorphic widescreen version of Willy Wonka from the new disc and included ONLY a pan and scan version.
Can this be true? How can this be true? Please lodge your dissatisfaction with Warner Bros.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I had this title on pre-order, after hearing this news I will not be buying the DVD. I hope that Warners reconsiders this decision. I also hope that this is not a sign of things to come and that The Goonies and Neverending Story will be in anamorphic widescreen.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Bad form, Warner! Bad form! I certainly hope you reconsider this poor decision soon. I, for one, will NEVER buy a movie in Pan & Scan only. I make no exeptions for Willy Wonka.
I am very disappointed.
------------------
-J.Fo
Live in the Minneapolis/St. Paul Area? Wanna meet local HTF members? Click Here!

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Warner Bros.,
In light of this information, I'd like to advise you on how maintain this level of quality for another highly anticipated release:
Please mask Citizen Kane to 2.65:1 and output all audio through the right-surround channel. Also, you should add some "whoosh" effects in the snow scenes, and obscure those obscene, half-naked dancing girls with new, computer-generated characters. Colorizing the film would be great, also. Thank you,
Matt

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
If Goonies is the same way as willy wonka is going to be then its $15 ill save for something else
capt

EricCr

Stunt Coordinator
The thing that makes me the most mad is the fact that I sold my old copy of this movie so I could buy the new version. Well this is another that I can take off the "buy" list. Way to go Warner!! Your commitment to quality, or lack of, is really showing with this move.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
...and I was so looking forward to seeing the dazzling production design shown off in a great new anamorophic transfer. Sad now that a lot of J.M Kenny's work on the release will go unseen by fans thanks to this foolish descision.
And the award for DVD fuck up of the year goes to..... Warner Brothers. Congratulations!
Dan (UK)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Pan-and-scan on this title equals no purchase for me. I've already cancelled my order.
Everybody: send a message to Warner - place an order for Willy Wonka (if you haven't already) and then cancel it the next day. Make sure you e-mail customer service at Warner and the retailer you placed the order with and let them know exactly why you're cancelling. Money talks.

Gavin K

Stunt Coordinator
To repeat my sentiments from the other thread, If this move was in the name of being "kid-friendly" than why the commentary and the documentary?
This has got to be one of the most bone-headed moves in a long. long time. This movie is 30 years old, don't you think there is a large, intelligent adult audience out there for this movie?
Did you censor the tunnel sequence as well to make it more kid-friendly?
I'm sure J.M. Kinney is ecstatic that all of his hard-work has been flushed down the toilet? (The enthusiasts won't support this travesty, and kids and joe 6pk generally don't listen to commentaries.)
You've got a lot of explaining to do Warners.

Dave Lyons

Stunt Coordinator
furious.gif
Cancelled my pre-order at DVDEmpire immediately upon hearing the news
furious.gif
Absolutely ridiculous Warner!!!!

michael deakin

Deceased Member
Real Name
Michael Charles Deakin
Hi guys.
I can't believe warner could be so bloody minded when it comes to classics like this. It stinks Big time.
Mike
angry.gif

------------------

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
Warner's decision is APPALLING and INSULTING! Count me as another person who has cancelled his pre-order. Why bother with the extras if you can't even get the goddamned feature right!?!
-Jerry

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
This is the stupidest and most assinine thing I have heard since the advent of DVD as a format. I will NOT purchase this disk! And for Warner...the early heros of the format, to pull an idiotic stunt like this is absolutely unnacceptable. It is to be met with utter derision. Even Disney had the balls to delay Princess Mononoke after the uproar caused by the early relevation that the original Japanese audio track would not be included. It corrected the mistake. Warner...get a grip.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Count me in as yet another potential buyer Warners has lost. I was considering buying this DVD; now I wouldn't touch it.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Warner Bros.
Oompa Loompa Doompadee...I've got another riddle for you!
"What do you get when, you get a P&S DVD?"
"A pain in the neck and a I.Q. of 3"
"You get no....you get no..you get no...WIDE...SCREEN!"
I WON'T BE BUYING THIS DVD UNTILL IT'S 16X9! PERIOD!
------------------
Link Removed

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Just to throw my voice in: WB: GET A CLUE!!! There are certainly ways you could have done this release and made the wide screen fans AND the "family" DVD buyer happy, if that's what's driving this decision. Either get both versions on the disc or release seperate DVDs...PLEASE!!!

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I'm so glad that I kept my old Version. This is the most stupidest desicion WB has ever made.

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
Warner Bros. -
I have just cancelled my pre-ordered copy of this film from an online vendor.
I have no interest in purchasing films that are not presented in their OARs.
It's a shame that I won't be able to enjoy the extra features that were created for this disc. They looked to be quite interesting.
What a waste.

Britton

Screenwriter
5 bucks says we won't hear anything from AOL Time Warner on this issue. At least not here. I wasn't going to get Willy Wonka in the first place, but I can't help but feel very angry, and extremely concerned that this is the beginning of a world of s*it.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks