What's new

new warner archive musicals - some thoughts (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I just received some of the new Warner Archives. musicals yesterday. One - Merry Andrew - I have never seen this film. Pier Anglei is dubbed by Betty wand, the same year Betty sang for Leslie Caron in Gigi. color and sound are very good. Two - Meet Me in Las Vegas - also very good color and sound her. INcludes two filmed musical outtakes - one never released where George Chakiris sings - great voice !!! three - Athena - very nice movie transformed on this disc, Remastered, sharp picture and great color. Remixed for stereo for the first time. Awesome !! also includes three filme outtakes - great stuff./ Only oddity is that for years Truner had another filmed outtake - Faster Than Sound sung by Vic damone, that is not included here. Always love Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds. I would love to know when and where The studen Ptince is being rleased this month. I think this covers all of the MGM scope stereo musicals from the fifties. Only one left to go is a restored Jupiters Darling, which would be fun.

greylocke5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard G.
The Student Prince is an exclusive WB Archive title at TCM.com and/or MoviesUnlimited.com.

D

Deleted member 372755

available: 7/26/2011 http://shop.tcm.com/product.asp?sku=D59276&directHit=1 here it is.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
wonder if we will get "the musical "Stop the World I Want to Get Off" (WB 1966)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Joe Caps said:
I just received some of the new Warner Archives. musicals yesterday. One - Merry Andrew - I have never seen this film. Pier Anglei is dubbed by Betty wand, the same year Betty sang for Leslie Caron in Gigi. color and sound are very good. Two - Meet Me in Las Vegas - also very good color and sound her. INcludes two filmed musical outtakes - one never released where George Chakiris sings - great voice !!! three - Athena - very nice movie transformed on this disc, Remastered, sharp picture and great color. Remixed for stereo for the first time. Awesome !! also includes three filme outtakes - great stuff./ Only oddity is that for years Truner had another filmed outtake - Faster Than Sound sung by Vic damone, that is not included here. Always love Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds. I would love to know when and where The studen Ptince is being rleased this month. I think this covers all of the MGM scope stereo musicals from the fifties. Only one left to go is a restored Jupiters Darling, which would be fun.
I wonder if any of them will have directional dialog?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
A Facebook answer from WAC says they have worked out the problems with the Loesser estate for WHERE'S CHARLEY and are now looking for good elements, which seem to be difficult to find. One can only hope. It is not a great musical, but it is one of Ray Bolger's great Broadway roles that seems to be transferred directly to film with most of the Broadway cast. Should be interesting.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by ahollis

A Facebook answer from WAC says they have worked out the problems with the Loesser estate for WHERE'S CHARLEY and are now looking for good elements, which seem to be difficult to find. One can only hope. It is not a great musical, but it is one of Ray Bolger's great Broadway roles that seems to be transferred directly to film with most of the Broadway cast. Should be interesting.

That's very encouraging to read. I haven't seen the film in decades, so I hope their search turns up some decent elements which can be used for a decent transfer. Since there was no cast album made at the time (due to a strike), the film and its soundtrack are the only records we have left of one of Bolger's signature roles.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
wonder if we will get "the musical "Stop the World I Want to Get Off" (WB 1966)

Good question. Saw it once when new (at a drive-in, as I recall) and never again has it crossed my path. I knew the original cast album and had seen a touring company do the musical on stage, so I knew what to expect. The musical itself is probably seen as very dated now, but that stuff was a big deal back in the day and I'll jump for it when it becomes available.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have it on VHS, and it's a pretty faithful recreation of the stage show (without the original leads, of course). It would be an excellent selection for the Archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks