1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New upgraded HT; 11 Pictures

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Nick.H, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Nick.H

Nick.H Well-Known Member

Updated 14th April 2004,

Ive taken pictures of the new setup,

http://www.arach.net.au/~nickh

Equipment,

HK AVR5550 Reciever
    DVD30

Panasonic AE-500 Projector

Aaron CC240 Centre
    Aaron CC240 Rear Centre
    Aaron ATS4 fronts
    Aaron ATS3 rears
    Aaron Sub240

Its being projected onto a yellow wall, I was going to invest in a screen or even just paint the wall white, however Ive found that the yellow seems to bring out the colours quite well. Gives good black levels aswell compared to a white wall.

Cheers

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    Looks nice. If you paint the front wall flat black and the screen surface light gray, you may find that the improvements are even more drastic.

3. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Well-Known Member

Looks great! What size image are you projecting?

4. Nick.H

Nick.H Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph: Thanks, painting the wall black, hmm... mite not go with my decor. I was thinking keeping it how it is and only where the screen is painting it a bright white. Ive heard that for the grey screens its best to have a DLP projector. Mine is only LCD.

aaron campbell: Image size is 150"

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    LCD can benefit from a gray screen also, or in my case, a silver screen. What they do is help to boost the contrast ratio. The silver screen can help with colour saturation also. Keep in mind that if you test various samples, you need to calibrate the projector for each sample in order to do a fair test. It is very hard to test multiple samples at the same time... ie by placing multiple samples on the wall and projecting across them to see comparisons.

I know what you mean about the decor though. In my own room, the walls all were white. I saw a huge difference when I did the front wall flat black as it helps to greatly reduce the light reflections and washing out of the picture.

6. Glenise

Glenise Well-Known Member

I love your wall color, furniture and rug selections.
    Very earth tone and comfy looking!

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Nick:

Great looking set up. Wow! 150 inch diagonal. That is a big screen.

I agree with Neil. If you were to paint the area of your wall that the image is projected on to in a grey and then the rest of the wall in a flat black the image will pop even more so than what you have right now. Having the perimeter of the area around the screen in black makes the images stand out in a more 3 dimensional way. Especially when you are watching a movie at night.

That Panasonic looks to be doing a great job for you. How do the imgages from SDTV look?

Parker

8. Nick.H

Nick.H Well-Known Member

and?

9. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Well-Known Member

WOW Looks great .... again I love the clean lines. How do you like the sound with the speakers on the stands? I would suggest bringin' them forward away from the walls a little. Youd achieve better imaging and depth overall.
    And having a dark border behind the screen helps with perceived black-level. Also allows the picture to float in midair.

I hate to tell people what to do with their systems, especially when they already look really good. The speaker placement and screen suggestions are the only ones I think I would do different had I your system.

I think this room was perfect and destined for front projection, Looks Amazing ... Most of all enjoy!

10. Nick.H

Nick.H Well-Known Member

Well thanks for the information, I am considering doing some modding in regards to the screen.

Speaker placement Im thinking of turning the froms in alittle to "fire" more onto the primary seating position.