What's new

New tv = use old dvd or buy new dvd player? (1 Viewer)

Steve BL

Auditioning
My TV is an RCA 52" HDTV monitor (52W19)
I've read the manual front to back several times. It says it is designed to display 480p or HDTV 1080i signals. But I and flipped threw all of the options in the menus and I don't see any way to adjust the picture from 480i to anything else.
Is this a plug and play type deal where it will select the best display?

My current DVD player is a Toshiba SD-1750 and is a few years old. My questions are should I upgrade to a new progressive scan DVD player. It works well and the picture is great and DTS surround. I do not have any specs on this unit at all other then the model # and I’m using component cables. I don't even know if it's a progressive scan unit or not. If it's not, will it improve the picture quality by upgrading to a DVD player with a DVI output? How will I adjust the picture of a new DVD player from 480i to 480p-1080i? In other words do the new DVD players have anon screen menu?

And last I've heard that PS2 units are progressive scan DVD players but audio is limited to PLII ? I was able to set one of my PS2 games to 480p in the games main menu, but when I played a DVD it looked the same as my old DVD player and I no longer had DTS surround even though I'm using a digital optical cable.

Sorry for new so dumb about all this and some many question but I appreciate any and all help.

BrianGB

Auditioning
I can actually answer this one. :) Right now with your non progressive scanner dvd player you get no HD (correct me someone if I'm wrong). Progressive brings you 480i, but there are new HD DVD players that go above and beyond that, a Samsung DVD 850 will run you 135, and will come with it a HDMI cord if your TV supports it (if not go progressive) and will upgrade movies to 1080 or 720, I don't notice the difference too much. But it is there, but very marginal. Definatly pick up a progressive scan DVD player if you dont have this cord on your TV, world of a difference, and make sure it is set up to component, usually 1, or it will not switch in some TVs to HDTV. Hope that helps.

Also Im new here, so if anyone needs to correct me, be gentle but I believe this information to be accurate.

BrianGB

Auditioning
I'm a pretty big gamer so I can answer your question on PS2 also. It is progressive scan, but not. The new models are, very old ones are not. Simple enough. As for the sound... Don't bother PS2 sound for DVD is terrible you can do much better with a cheap progressive scan dvd player, believe I saw one today for under $50 and I bought an optical audio cord for $10. So you can make out pretty good.

Its that XBox360 that looks pretty sharp on these displays... Oh man got one yesterday, last one at shopko nearly got in a fight. Another story lol

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

On the Toshiba website click here you can find your manual for your DVD player and download it as a PDF file for future reference.

Look here

IMO I would buy a nice upscaling DVD player that will get you a very nice DVD experience vs. spending 3 or 4 times that on a HD DVD player that will have limited use and possibly even be obsolete in a few years aka Beta Max vs. VHS.

I might get some GRRRRR's about that but as far as the BLU-RAY - HD DVD thing I'll sit the fence for a while.

Just remember that even though a 50 dollar Progressive DVD player might be all that you want and or need you get what you pay for. Look around here and at other forums and there is a wealth of knowledge (except for me of course :D ) take advantage of that knowledge and most of all enjoy your new TV.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
As already pointed out, a DVD is inherently 480i and nothing is going to change that until the HD DVD mess gets straightened out. You may, or may not, see any improvment going from component cables to an HDMI/DVI interface. Properly implemented and with decent cables the two will, in theory, produce results that are to the eye identical. In the real world people who have tried both sometimes find a clear preference for one or the other--but not always HDMI over component. Personally, I saw no difference at all when I tried it but it's easier hooking up the HDMI cable so that's what I used.

Your HD TV will have a native resolution that it will operate in by converting everything to that. Most new DVD players will offer the choice of output and then upscale as needed to get it there. That's going to be one of several things that will be in the setup portion of the DVD install and how that is done varies but, yes, it usually is menu picks with an on-screen setup. Notice that what this means is that you've got two pieces of gear that can do the upscale process--the DVD player and the TV. Only experimentation will tell you what settings result in the best picture but its possible that you would find the best results with DVD player at 480i output and let the TV do all the upscale work. That's part of the reason that I wouldn't want to say as an absolute that getting a progressive scan player is 100% certain to improve how a DVD looks. It's probably true that a newer player will be a good thing, but maybe not for that reason or at least not for that reason alone. And how much better is really down to comparing the new and old players across a lot of factors and not just the progressive scan feature.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

Next year (or the year after that) you may want to buy a Blue-Ray or HD-DVD player, so why not stick to your excellent player for now, unless you're not on anything like a budget.

And if BR and HD-DVD don't make it after all, you can buy that upgrade anyway.

:)

Cees

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
When the TV displays "480i" on the screen that tells you what the TV is getting, not what the TV is showing on the screen.

The TV automatically matches its input circuits to what is coming in, within limits. Most CRT HDTV monitors do not accept 720p so the set top box HDTV tuner has to convert 720p to 1080i.

The picture on the screen (for most CRT sets) is either 1080i all the time or is 1080i for 1080i input and 960i for 480i/480p inputs.

Every progressive scan DVD player delivers only 480i from the S-video and yellow jacks and has a manual selection, perhaps a switch in the back, for 480i/480p from the component video jacks.

DVD video and standard broadcasts must be converted to 480p (and if applicable then converted to 1080i) to be viewed on an HDTV set. A new progressive player may or may not do this conversion better than your TV. I would suggest Googling for Stacy Spears Shootout Secrets and reading those reviews and choosing a player with a high score if you want to go progressive.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Whatever new equipment you decide to buy, make sure it has HDMI (or at least DVI) and it complies with HDCP protocol. This will be required on all equipment soon in order to watch digitally protected content.

Not to mention, you will get better video quality using HDMI on a good DVD player.

If your display does not have HDMI, get a DVD player that does anyway so you will not have to upgrade it again when you do get a new display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks