What's new

New TV, older components? (1 Viewer)

smcleod

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Hi there,

I am struggling with matching up my older components w/ my new TV.

The plasma TV I just replaced from 2006 seemed to convert digital sound just fine to my Sony HTiB.

I was able to have surround-sound w/ digital cable, Xbox 360, and DVDs from the HTiB.

Now the new LG plasma TV won't do it.

TV has 2 component inputs, 3 HDMI, USB, and optical sound

The Sony HTiB has 2 component outputs, no inputs, no HDMI, no optical sound.

Xbox 360 is 1st gen component output, no HDMI.

Cable Box is fairy new Motorola DVR, which component, hdmi, optical, etc.

As it stands, I cannot get these electronics into synchronicity.
When I add an HDMI for the cable box to the TV and the HTiB and XBOX into the TV via component cables,
the TV sound wont go into the HTiB.

So for now,
I have the cable and XBOX into the 2 TV components.
I have the HTiB audio component outputs in the cable box.

I can watch TV in surround sound.
I have to use TV sound for the XBOX, no surround.
I have to switch component cables to watch a DVD on the HTiB.

It is a pain.
I am pretty sure this is as good as it gets and I need to buy a new sound system w/ a home theater receiver but thought maybe I was missing something that could make this work while I save up some money for it.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you,
-Steve

mccambley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Casey
Your Sony HTiB is your problem, it does not have the proper connections and switching for all your current and future devices. All the video to the TV all the audio to the Sony. But you said you have no inputs so you can't. An inexpensive fully functional receiver from Denon or Onkyo package with speakers as their HTiB. Check out Accessories4less.com for a good deal on a refurbished model. Then you connect your device to the receiver with HDMI and one HDMI to the TV.

https://www.accessories4less.com/index.php

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm confused how you got sound into your HTiB when you say it has no inputs. No inputs means nothing can send it audio. I'm also confused by two component outputs on a HTiB. I. Have never know anything, at all, ever that had two component outputs...except for $1000+ multi-zone video AVR.

smcleod

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I appreciate the responses,

It is clear that I have to update my surround-sound system.

I was hoping to avoid it because I spent a lot of time feeding speaker wires under the carpet and tacking them around the room, etc. I don't think I can reuse the wires because they have plugs that seem specific for this particular unit.

Oh well, I'll get it done.

One last question. A relative offered to give me their old surround-sound system if it will work for me.

It is a Pioneer receiver VSX-D514, maybe 7 or 8 years old?. It seems to be what was then a high-quality unit. It has no HDMI but it has lots of component inputs and an optical input. It also would come with Denon surround speakers, oversized, wood cases w/ an active subwoofer. I remember hearing the system before and it did have really nice sound.
209695979VSX-815-k_Rear_300.jpg

I am not sure which input to put the Xbox in through. I have an extra DVD player in another room I could use.

I am wondering if I could ultimately make this set up work with the TV, cable box, DVD player, and Xbox all using component cables?

I'm just afraid I'll spend all day fiddling with it and end up disappointed.

Thank you!
-Steve

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You do realize you could buy the Onkyo RC330 on Ebay for under $150 from accessories4less. Or go to A4L.com. Sometimes Ebay is less.I'd still take that Pio/Den set and use it till you can scrape the $150 to replace the Pio.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That's a picture of a Pioneer 815. A year newer and a step up the ladder. The 514 only has two component inputs so one device would have to be connected with s-video which isn't near as good. It also only has one optical input, but two coaxial inputs so it's hard to say if you could hook all your components to the 514 in a satisfactory way. I'm sure you could hook everything to the 514 but it may be with a lower quality audio or video connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks