1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New TV, no headphone jacks, big problem

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by EHouston, Dec 8, 2012.

1. EHouston

EHouston New Member

I recently purchased a new HD TV (my first) and got it home only to find out it had no headphone jacks. This wasn't stated on the package and I assumed that all new televisions had them because my old (10 years old non-HD) had them. I, unfortunately, live in a housing complex where headphones are required by my lease. I tried to return the tv to the store but, because it was a pre-Christmas sale, I cannot return the set. I love the picture but I am now left without a television unless I can figure out a way to connect headphones. The set is an Emerson LC320EM3F. While there is no headphone connection there is a single "Digital Audio Output" jack which I assume is to connect to a Audio System (which I am also not allowed). There are also red and white Audio Input Jacks. Is there any kind of adapter that might allow me to connect headphones. I would love to have a television but I don't want to have to move. I can't afford it right now.

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Welcome to HTF!
    I'm surprised you can not return the set. It would be for the pre-Christmas sale price, of course.
    And there is no reason you can not get an audio system if you use headphones with it. Right?

3. EHouston

EHouston New Member

Right, I just have to find a cheap enough audio system that I can plug headphones into.

4. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    You could probably use something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=pd_sim_e_5
    But I'm not sure the TV volume control will work with the headphones, so you may also want this:
    http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable-6-Inch/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=pd_sim_e_5
    Sale price or not, you should be able to return the TV. I suggest you find someone big and snarly and try again.
    I also can't believe you're not allowed to use normal TV volume. Are you sure you aren't being sold a bill of goods on that front?

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Some headphones have a volume slider on them. Get a pair of those, along with the adapter Al listed above and you should be fine.

6. EHouston

EHouston New Member

Nope, it is in my lease that all musical and video appliances must be headphones.

7. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    Wow, that's unbelievably controlling.
    And here I mock homeowners associations for mandating white curtain backing and white Christmas lights.
    Does the landlord live close by? I say run a leaf blower all day until he's ready to renegotiate.

8. EHouston

EHouston New Member

No, it's a huge apartment complex and managed by a property management company. I should say It is one of many complexes they take care of and yes, the regulations are brutal.

9. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    A lot of the wireless headphones have to plug into a line out jack and the volume control is on one of the ear pieces.

10. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I looked at the specs, and one of the big problems is this TV only has a coax digital audio output, no analog.

You may want to consider buying an inexpensive HT receiver (Denon has an entry-level for about $199). The other option would be to find a HTIB that has a coax digital audio input and a headphone jack.

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Well-Known Member

Robert
    Digital to analog converter $36 - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=180-997
    Wireless headphones from $15 to $400 - http://www.parts-express.com/cat/headphones/116?kg=807|5288