What's new

New TV-$2500 (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Hello all. I'm looking to upgrade from my Zenith C32V37(which I love!) to something a bit bigger. Also I'm looking to go from a 4:3 set to a 16:9 set. I live in a medium sized apartment and the TV will be near a sliding glass door with ALOT of daylight coming thru. My viewing distance is about 8 feet. I'm looking to spend around $2500. Any suggestions?

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I went with the Toshiba 46HM84 DLP set, I have about 8 feet of viewing distance. I bought it for DVDs and Video games. I didn't get it yet. You can get it for under $2500 from onecall.com (shipped).
-ELmO:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I should also mention that my girlfriend watches ALOT of SD cable. I watch MOSTLY dvds/HD content( around 80%). The issue with the sunlight really concerns me. I don't want to get a new tv that I can only watch at night.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
SD is going to look bad on most HDTVs, though, I have a Toshiba 57H82 downstairs (57" widescreen HDTV) and I must admit it looks very smooth and nice on SD.

As well, you will want to consider stretch modes. I heavily researched this years ago, and found Toshiba's stretch modes to be the best. As such, I have gone with a Toshiba again without researching much about the stretch modes. Most SD is 4x3 right now and you have the choice to watch it with bars on the side, or stretch it. Toshiba's stretching capabilites are very good, they don't make things speed up/slow down as they move across the screen (like most of the other tv set stretch algorithms use). You don't want her watching a tennis match and the ball speeding up as it gets near the edge of the screen, right?

Buy the set with the preconceived notion that DVDs, HDTV, and video gaming will be the best PQ that it can shoot out, and SD will be some of the worst, and you will be fine.

-ELmO:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks