What's new

new to HT just purchased some equipment (1 Viewer)

Hi I'm new to the HT hobby. I have been listening to movies my whole life on dated equipment and cheep speakers. The receiver is over 30 years old purchased by my dad. The speakers are about 10-12 years old and we purchased them at radio shack on sale. They were $250 for a 12" sub and two 3.25" bookshelf speakers. They did add to the movie by having speakers in front of the audience but it still didn’t quite sound good enough.

I have always liked a well set up sound system, and working at a place that sold high end home stereo equipment just rose the bar. This past weekend I was X-mas shopping with my mom and showed her around good guys. She told me that she would get me a receiver. I picked out an RXV-630 that was on a 1/2 price sale. While down at GG I went into the sound room and listened to some of the floor speakers. I settled on the RF-25 along with an RW-12 subwoofer, and an RC-25 center channel. I though that these components would be adequate for my taste and be within my budget. I am a college student so money is something that needs to be watched.

Now for my questions. Will my receiver be able to adequately power the system(Yamaha RXV630)? Any recommendations on brands that I should look out for in the future when getting something? Is their a certain brand that works better with the klipsch line of speakers? The receiver has 75 watts per channel and my front speakers have an RMS rating of 125 watts. I'm not worried about the sub because it has its own amp. Will I be able to purchase the extended warranty after I get the system home? I was told that if I got a warranty on anything it should be one the subwoofer because the amp is the main thing that will go out. Any truth to this?

Also after reading up on the HT forum I was quite surprised about how many people don’t have faith in monster cable. After hearing stores I decided that I will save some money and opt for cheaper speaker wire. I'll get at least 12 gage. What kind of wire should I use to hook up the sub? Do you recommend a specific type? Should I go out and get a specific cable for it? I'd rather not spend money on something that doesn’t make a noticeable difference.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Your receiver will be fine for klipsch speakers. Some may say it'll be too "bright" however its a matter of opinion or taste. Myself I have found yamaha to sound awesome with klipsch speakers even more so than my own denon 4802 did.

John S

Senior HTF Member
As far as the sub goes, It will be an RCA line level connection. Decent shielded RCA connector equiped audio cables are sufficient.

Sound is subject, you may very well like the way the Yamaha and Klipsch sound together. I would hope you could get some sort of trial period with it, if you don't like it, you would / should have the oppertunity to get something else.

On the type of speaker wire, I use what looks like 14 gauge lamp cord myself, cheap in spools.

Klipsch speakers tend to be very efficient, I would think they would get near ear bleeding loud before you run out of power.

On the extended warranty, that is really up to you. I don't get them very often, unless the piece is $1000 or more to replace, then I do at least consider it.

Thanks for the replys. I have an aiwa system in the bedroom right now but an unable to play anything loud because of current living conditions. Townhouse limits anything to pretty much a soft listing level. I will be moving out of this place after this semester into a house with my two roomates. I'll then be able to play music, and movies as loud as I want. Cant wait till everything is shiped.

When I get everything hooked up I'll give it a little review. I cant wait to go home for X-mas. I had everything shipped to the home address insted of the apartment that I'm living in now. This next year is going to be better then last year for movies! Espically when I get all of the movies I want for free. I have a friend that works at a video store. Anyways this is defentally going to be a step above the 2 channel receiver and 30 year old speakers that I'm currently using.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks