What's new

New to HDTV. Need help. (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
Hey guys,
Well, I have owned a Mits 55805 for a while now but I haven't got my HD receiver yet. I want to go with the Mits DirecTV receiver to get my HD signals from Charlotte. I am hearing alot about Sattelite 119 and 101 and all this stuff but I am really not clear on it. Can anyone shed some light for me on what I need to know before getting set up to get my signal? Thanks alot.
- Jonathan

Bob Dycus

Grip
Your Directv receiver will need an oval dish to receive the two satellites. You will get HBOHD this way from directv.
You will need an antenna to receive over the air signals from Charlotte. WBTV, WSOC, etc. will come in OTA.

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
Does the Oval Dish double as an antenna to receive OTA signals? I had heard that it did. I still don't understand why I am hearing that guys are pointing one dish at 101 and another at 119. I don't understand what all of that means. Thanks.
- Jonathan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The majority of DirecTV's programming is on a group of satellites positioned at 101 degrees. Their local channels and HDTV programming is on a satellite(s) positioned at 119 degrees. The oval dish aims between these two positions and picks up signals from all of the satellites on two LNBs. The signals from the LNBs are combined through a multiswitch and fed to your receiver.
The oval dish will not double as an antennae to pick up OTA HD signals.

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
Well, can I feed the DirecTV signal to 2 different TV's with this receiver. IT sounds like that if it has 2 LNB's then I can feed 2 TV's. I would like to do that so I can get DirecTV programming in the den at my house.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes you can feed the signal from this receiver to two TVs but there are some drawbacks. Both TVs will be showing the same thing. If you you are watching something in HD on your Mits, then nothing will be on the other TV. HD sat receivers will not output an HD signal and an SD signal at the same time. Most people buy a cheap secondary receiver for another TV.

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
This last weekend I hooked up my mits HDTV receiver box to my pioneer 710. I had trouble aligning the oval dish so I purchased another round dish to aim at the 101 and my old Sony dish to point at the 119 satellite and used the multi switch that came with the oval dish. I have a total of four receivers hooked up to the multi switch including the new mits. The picture is awesome with HDTV HBO and the Direct TV loop. my only problem is my roof top antenna is not pulling in the local HD channels.
I purchased one of those 4' long stick antennas from radio shack and it still is not pulling in an adequate signal.
Any suggestions on a good roof top antenna for locals would be greatly appreciated.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
The majority of DirecTV's programming is on a group of satellites positioned at 101 degrees. Their local channels and HDTV programming is on a satellite(s) positioned at 119 degrees. The oval dish aims between these two positions and picks up signals from all of the satellites on two LNBs. The signals from the LNBs are combined through a multiswitch and fed to your receiver.
I'm unsure if I can use the oval dish from my apartment. What direction does this dish need to be pointed? (south-east, south-west?) Will some trees being in the way matter?
------------------
Surf on to...
http://www.geocities.com/best101films

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks