What's new

New to electronics (1 Viewer)

tjfaivre

Auditioning
Real Name
terry
I recently purchased some 6 1/2 in Klipsch floor speakers on Black Friday at Best Buy, for my home theater room. I believe they are the KF-26 model. I am getting ready to buy the home projector now and after reading many reviews I have decided on the Epson 8350. The room is totally light controlled and I figured it was the best "bang for my buck". I also already purchased a 120in Elite Screenhttp://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-EzFrame-120-Inch-Projection/dp/B000YUG02S/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1326588051&sr=1-2, but now need to help with a receiver, sub, and rear speakers. I am leaning toward the BIC 12in Sub after reading alot of your guys posts. Like everyone else, I am kind of strapped for money after all my other purchases, but I do want it to sound good. Any help would be appreciated. I have wired my theater for 5.1 btw. Also, I plan on having an XBox360, PS3, and a Directv receiver hooked up, so would need enough HDMI outs to run these things. Thanks in advance Projector: Epson 8350 ( not purchased yet, but probably will tonight ) Screen: Elite Screen 120in. CineWhite Receiver: ??? Front speakers : Klipsch KF-26 Rear Speakers : ??? Sub : BIC 12in ( leaning toward this ) *On a side note, my upstairs receiver is a Yamaha RX-V371. I cannot comment on if it is good or bad because I honestly do not know the difference. It works for what I need it for.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The BIC F-12 sub is very nice, I have one in my theater. For the center speaker and surrounds you need Klipsch speakers, and timber match them to the 2 front speakers.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
According to the Klipsch website the KC-25 is the proper center channel for the KF-26 fronts. It's pretty important to have the fronts and center be from the same series and brand. It's better for the surrounds to also be from that same series but not as critical. For the surrounds, you have two choices. The KB-15 is a traditional small bookshelf speaker while the KS-14 is strictly a surround speaker. I prefer to use a bookshelf speaker for my surrounds as I think they do a better job with music (I listen to a lot of 5.1 music videos/concerts and DVD-A's/SACD's). For movies, most people would probably select the tradition surround speaker, the KS-14. They are both priced about the same so it's your choice. But if money's tight you can use a less expensive brand for the surrounds. A bic sub is a good choice. They look real good on paper and perform even better. My brother has a V1220 and it's very good for the price. The F-12 is even recommended more often than the V1220. For the receiver, of course we will really need a firm budget but since you're new to all of this I would say stick with another Yamaha. Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, H/K, Marantz, etc all make fine products but being familiar with the way one brand of receiver operates makes it much easier to enjoy both of them. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now and have had all but (ironically) Yamaha receivers and I've recently decided to stick with Pioneer for both of my setups and it's much easier going from room to room without having to remember how a different receiver works vs the one I just used. Klipsch speakers are very efficient and are 8 ohm so any Yamaha receiver should power them just fine (even tough another member a while back thought the huge 3900 still wasn't powerfull enough for his Klipsch speakers). I'd look at the 471, 571 and 671. The main advantage of the 471 over the 371 is the 471 has the YPAO auto setup room correction eq. The 571 has video conversion from analog (vcr) to digital and two more hdmi inputs (6) and the 671 has a better amp section Sirrius/XM and a Network Port for Pandora, Rhapsody, etc. Here's a comparison chart. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/?mode=compare&tab=product_lineup&selected=221392_221393_221391_

tjfaivre

Auditioning
Real Name
terry
Thank you guys, As for the proper speaker placement... I had a professional prewire my home theater while the house was being built, and double checking with that chart, I would say it appears to be pretty spot on. He also told me that there is a microphone type device that can be used to dial speakers in after they are up on the wall? Any knowledge on this? So this is what I decided and currently have on order. I will let you know how it sounds. Receiver : Yamaha 471 ( appears to be very similar to the 371 I have upstairs so it should be easy to operate ) Projector : Epson 8350 Screen : 120in CineWhite Speakers Front : Klipsch KF26 Center : Klipsch KF25 Surround : KS14 Sub : BIC F12 The only thing that concerns me is the sub location. I have a media closet (cased opening) built into the wall, and I planned on having the sub in there, according to the chart it says you should not put a sub in a corner. All my other speaker wires are in the walls and I would prefer not to have the sub out in the open with a wire running from it the media closet. I guess I will have to see how it sounds and figure out something different if need be. Thanks again, you have been a big help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Yamaha 471 has the YPAO I mentioned earlier that the 371 doesn't have. It comes with a mic that you put at the main listening position (the "sweet" spot) and the receiver sets the speaker size, distance, volumes and adjusts the equilizer for optimum sound. Others around here know a lot more about subs and their positioning than I do so I'll let them tackle that one.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Putting the sub "in" anything is usually a bad idea. The sub was designed to function best with the cabinet it ships with. Adding another one does not help. While it is true that you will get higher sound levels with the sub in the corner, it could excite room modes making the levels at your seat worse. The corner is usually the first place we recommend to try since you could potentially get the best sound. There have been entire books dedicated to the science of locating the sub. Short of becoming an expert, the usual advice is to move the sub around the room and see where it sounds best. Another popular method is place the sub where you sit and then you walk (or crawl) around the room and see where the sound is best. Then move the sub there.

n3ok318

Grip
Real Name
Jacob K.
David, According to the site (http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html#), Dolby does not advice you to put the subwoofer in the corner as the sound gets too muddy. But since you say putting it in the corner may potentially give the best result, could you elaborate a little more?

haonewbags

Auditioning
Real Name
haonewbags
Beautiful Nike NFL Jerseys is always being the favorites for men and women who like to have sports. And discount Nike Shoes also are the choice of people. Cheap Nike shoes with our Cheap NFL Jerseys here have high quality will give you a comfortable sport. 2012 Juicy Couture Bags in such low prices will help you to wholesale products from our Juicy Couture Outlet store sale; you can find many beautiful Juicy Couture Handbags for girls in our site. Online Coach Outlet handbags also have many Coach Handbags on sale in excellent appearance and quality, come to shop products from Coach Handbags Sale in our Coach Handbags Outlet. Discounts shoes from Nike Outlet shop will make you in good mood.

haonewbags

Auditioning
Real Name
haonewbags
Cheap Red Bottom Shoes are popular all over the world. Women with charming Red Sole Shoes will become more beautiful. And the Winter Coats on sale in our site can match any Red Sole Heels shoes. In this cold winter, you will need a warm Winter Clothes sale and high quality Red Boots shoes. You can purchase excellent Winter Jackets for men and women in our Winter Coat Sale. Fashionable new Red Bottom Heels can be easily bought here; you will like the shoes with Red Bottoms here. Come on; choose some stylish Red High Heels shoes to parties.

haonewbags

Auditioning
Real Name
haonewbags
Cheap Red Bottom Shoes are popular all over the world. Women with charming Red Sole Shoes will become more beautiful. And the Winter Coats on sale in our site can match any Red Sole Heels shoes. In this cold winter, you will need a warm Winter Clothes sale and high quality Red Boots shoes. You can purchase excellent Winter Jackets for men and women in our Winter Coat Sale. Fashionable new Red Bottom Heels can be easily bought here; you will like the shoes with Red Bottoms here. Come on; choose some stylish Red High Heels shoes to parties.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not sure what 'muddy' means, but it will be louder (at least in certain parts of the room). Perhaps 'muddy' means the 'one note bass' you can sometimes get when the sub is not properly located. This means that one frequency overwhelms all others and you HT sounds like a bad setup in a Honda Civic bouncing down the street. :D I suggest you listen to this podcast. Floyd Toole, retired Vice President of Acoustical Engineering for Harman International Industries, Inc., goes into a lot of detail about speaker location and the science behind it. If you really want to get into the this, check out these books from written by Mr. Toole .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks