1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Theater Equipment start list - advice/comments

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vagabond, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Agent

Hello eveyone, Ok, getting down to the start of things. Permits in and design pretty much set between the wife and I (dont have pic right now will post soon). But here is a list of audio equipment that was suggested to me. Please let me know any and all thoughts. I am not really up to speed on these things and well may not actually have the time i would like to learn enough about them to stand on my own judgement.

[SIZE= larger]Paradigm Studio60 front speakersParadigm CC290 center speaker
    Paradigm Studio10 rear speakers (two sets)
    Paradigm DSP3400 14" powered subwooferYamaha RXV2065 surround receiver
    Samsung BDP3600 Blu-Ray player w/ NetFlix [/SIZE]

[SIZE= larger]SIM2 D60 front projector [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= larger]92" Black Diamond II screen

This set up is a little heavy on the price side of things since it does not include cables and a cool remote (expensive on its own).

Thanks

Vagabond[/SIZE]

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    What can you tell us about the room that this is going in? I assume it's NOT a basement, and is probably a pretty bright room (hence the Black Diamond screen)? What about size?

I can see that a good chunk of the budget is going into the projector ($4k+) and screen ($2.5k+). I suppose if ambient light is a major concern, then perhaps the extra money is necessary, but if it's not a major issue, then you should maybe research some of the new 1080p projectors that are coming in at roughly half the price (and are very well-reviewed). There are also many other less expensive screen options.

If you haven't already, check out projectorcentral.com and projectorreviews.com for detailed reviews of projectors (including a number that have just recently become available).

Edit: As far as the speakers and reciever go - I think those are fine choices. I've always been a fan of Paradigm, and the Yamaha looks as though it's got all you'll need to experience the best of what's out there.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Agent

Jason thanks. And actually this is a basement media room and light I would think is not an issue. This is a list i was quote from HiFi house sales guy . I asked him for a list of items so I could at least start asking for advice from those who know and that I can start really learning about these things.
    Below is an image of the current basement layout:
    The thin black lines are walls the brown ugly box is a place holder for a small window. Other windows are on the right. The second row of chairs are on a ~6 inch riser. All windows will have curtains and are small 30 inch wide basement 1/2 windows. The double door will also have curtains. the Door on the far left is to the outside. thanks

[​IMG]

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I built a screen for $75 and it matched anything I saw in the local stores. If I need more gain, I'll paint it with one of the dozens of paint formulas that are floating around the 'net.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I'd go with a DIY or internet direct sub. You always get a better value that way.

6. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    Eric, that looks like a nice, open basement layout. You've got a good-sized area set aside for the theater. It'll look great when it's done!

How high are the celings? Since it is a light-controlled room, I would strongly suggest doing a bit more research on the projector and screen. The room geometry (including ceiling height) will have a strong impact on whether or not a projector will work for a given screen size.

Speaking of screen size - did you have a size in mind? At a seating distance of roughly 10 feet, a 100" screen is not out of the question - especially for a 1080p projector. If anything, you can probably shift the seats back a foot or so, and you may discover that a 6" riser is not enough, but that doesn't really impact the equipment any.

Mounting the surround speakers may be your biggest challenge - since you have an open area to the right, and the doors to the left. Do you have a plan for that? It is good that you have some room between the back seats and the rear wall for the rear speakers - and any theater that has a "bar area" gets major bonus points in my book!

Oh, and to your comment about cables and a universal remote - get cables from monoprice.com. Their HDMI cables are excellent and inexpensive (even the 25 footer that you'll need to run to the projector). They also carry in-wall rated speaker wire at very good prices. As for a remote - a good Harmony remote that will serve you well should run less than $200 (though you could go higher for more bells and whistles).

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Agent

Hey the room height is 8 foot. Was thinking of getting a 92 inch screen.
    As for the right speakers that plan is not set yet :) working on it any suggestions?

Tanks for the links. I check them out. How high of a riser would you suggest?

8. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    8 foot ceilings should give you some extra flexibility when choosing a projector - you won't have to be as concerned with the offset as you would if you only had 7 foot ceilings.

As for the surround speakers - their optimal placement will be dictated by the seating position (have you seen the Dolby recommended speaker layouts?). With two rows of seats, you can compromise a bit - wall-mounting the right surround speaker right near the corner of the wall may work out, or you could place them on stands a little bit further back.

I've never built a riser, but have read several other threads here from people who have. Some folks have gone as high as 12" (average seems to be about 8-10), but it really depends on how complicated you're willing to go.

9. ShanonS

ShanonS Stunt Coordinator

I would second looking at some of the internet direct subs. I would also recommend also looking at either Onkyo or Denon receivers over the Yamaha. The biggest difference would be the Audyssey sound processing. You can find a lot of information about it by doing a search.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Agent

Any thoughts on using say 2 - 10" or 2 - 12" sub woofers in place of the 1 -14"

ShanonS txs for the info I will read up on it..

11. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You can't look at the size of the driver or how many watts the sub amp puts out to determine if it is a quality sub or to compare different subs. For example, this 15" driver - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-206 can be outperformed by this 10" driver - http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/revo given the proper enclosure and amp.

That being said, I am a fan of multiple subs. The more cone area the less each sub has to work to reach my goal of extension and SPL.