1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Theater 120' x 60' !!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gray, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Gray

Gray Active Member

Having almost finished my own home theater(see link above)I was dissapointed to have to stop construction due to deployment. After asking around about the "Old theater" I have been given the great task of remodeling a movie theater here "on post"(I am overseas). The room is already built (aprox. 120' x 60' with a stage and about 200 theater seats. I am excited about this job, yet I am not sure about the distance and projector for that kind of throw. Can you guys help me out with such a major project? Any advice on such a large scale would be great![​IMG]

2. Gray

Gray Active Member

Having almost finished my own home theater(see link above)I was dissapointed to have to stop construction due to deployment. After asking around about the "Old theater" I have been given the great task of remodeling a movie theater here "on post"(I am overseas). The room is already built (aprox. 120' x 60' with a stage and about 200 theater seats. I am excited about this job, yet I am not sure about the distance and projector for that kind of throw. Can you guys help me out with such a major project? Any advice on such a large scale would be great![​IMG]

3. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Well-Known Member

start taking pics.

what is your budget? or is our government flipping the bill [​IMG] since you are "on post"

pro speakers for efficiency and power ratings probably and crown amps. then a nice pre-pro.

4. Mike SJ

start taking pics.

what is your budget? or is our government flipping the bill [​IMG] since you are "on post"

pro speakers for efficiency and power ratings probably and crown amps. then a nice pre-pro.

5. Gray

Gray Active Member

Roger on the Pics. I only found out a couple of hours ago so the details are comming in slow. This a "funded" bill. I am not sure what the budget is yet. I am guessing it will be large. I am going to make a proposal here in the next 2-4 weeks.I will look into Pro speakers and the Crown amps.Do you have a link?

6. Gray

Gray Active Member

Roger on the Pics. I only found out a couple of hours ago so the details are comming in slow. This a "funded" bill. I am not sure what the budget is yet. I am guessing it will be large. I am going to make a proposal here in the next 2-4 weeks.I will look into Pro speakers and the Crown amps.Do you have a link?

7. Mike SJ

8. Mike SJ

9. Gray

Gray Active Member

All of the old stuff is gone already. As far as local shops, there is a language barrier. I plan on importing all of the equipment from the states. The theater will also be used as a "briefing room" during the day. I guess you could kind of compare this to a school auditorium as far as use. Board room by day and theater for the troops at night...

10. Gray

Gray Active Member

All of the old stuff is gone already. As far as local shops, there is a language barrier. I plan on importing all of the equipment from the states. The theater will also be used as a "briefing room" during the day. I guess you could kind of compare this to a school auditorium as far as use. Board room by day and theater for the troops at night...

11. Mike SJ

cool, well of course we'll all say BUY AMERICAN!!!

12. Mike SJ

cool, well of course we'll all say BUY AMERICAN!!!

13. Mitch N

Mitch N Well-Known Member

In the spirit of DIY, why purchase already made speakers?

There are so many ways to go about making a sound system for your theater and of course buying whats already made is easy. But you could save money and design exactly what you want with many of the available drivers on the web currently. Adire Audio has experience in PA systems with their Hurricanse system. They could design something for you that would cost much less then JBL's professional line.

Parts Express also has the hardware to provide what you want. I'm sure there are other places as well.

Granted this is funded, but don't blow all of our tax dollars. [​IMG]

Good luck and don't forget the pictures!

14. Mitch N

In the spirit of DIY, why purchase already made speakers?

There are so many ways to go about making a sound system for your theater and of course buying whats already made is easy. But you could save money and design exactly what you want with many of the available drivers on the web currently. Adire Audio has experience in PA systems with their Hurricanse system. They could design something for you that would cost much less then JBL's professional line.

Parts Express also has the hardware to provide what you want. I'm sure there are other places as well.

Granted this is funded, but don't blow all of our tax dollars. [​IMG]

Good luck and don't forget the pictures!

15. Gray

Gray Active Member

That brings up a good question. Can I build an all american theater? It seems like there is to much imported stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of technology, but that does have a good ring to it. "The All American Theater"

16. Gray

Gray Active Member

That brings up a good question. Can I build an all american theater? It seems like there is to much imported stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of technology, but that does have a good ring to it. "The All American Theater"

17. Gray

Gray Active Member

DIY where I am is kind of pushing it. Besides I don't want to learn how to build cabinents on a high dollar job. I will look into it however. As far as the blowing our tax dollars, your joking right? This theater is for the "Troops" to keep them sane and give them a place to get "away from it all". This not just a movie theater. This project will effect moral, sanity, and give people a piece of home away from home.

18. Gray

Gray Active Member

DIY where I am is kind of pushing it. Besides I don't want to learn how to build cabinents on a high dollar job. I will look into it however. As far as the blowing our tax dollars, your joking right? This theater is for the "Troops" to keep them sane and give them a place to get "away from it all". This not just a movie theater. This project will effect moral, sanity, and give people a piece of home away from home.

19. Mitch N

Well if you could build something for less and still achieve the same effect with similar name brand products, would you? I'm all for my troops and protecting our country. But gross mis spending I am not.

I've done all too many gov contract jobs and know what gets charged vs what it's actually worth. I'm in the IT field and gov contracts are where the money is at. Not only that there is a lot of favoritism in regards to getting contracts.

Don't take it personal, you do not reflect the whole US military. But there are some bad individuals that ruin the pot.

20. Mitch N

Well if you could build something for less and still achieve the same effect with similar name brand products, would you? I'm all for my troops and protecting our country. But gross mis spending I am not.

I've done all too many gov contract jobs and know what gets charged vs what it's actually worth. I'm in the IT field and gov contracts are where the money is at. Not only that there is a lot of favoritism in regards to getting contracts.

Don't take it personal, you do not reflect the whole US military. But there are some bad individuals that ruin the pot.