What's new

new system set up (1 Viewer)

I'm looking into a new audio system to go with the new 70 inch sony wega tv i got.

Here is my list after 2 weeks on forums and 3 revisions.
i would post urls but i cant......
fronts- the rockets NEW - RS1000

center- RSC100 MKII

surrounds.RSS300

and a sub from svs

I have not decided on a receiver yet maybe something from b&k or nads? or something else completely.....dunno.
need some help..

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you're going with the top of the line Rockets for the front why skimp on the center channel? I would definitely go w/ the RSC200, especially since the RSC100 MKII doesn't use the same Vifa Ring Radiator Tweeter as the fronts you've picked out. The RSC100 is really only meant to match up w/ the RS150s in very small systems.

Also, if you plan on doing much Hi-Res audio listening (SACD or DVD-A) I would reccomend going w/ RS250s as surrounds. If you're planning on using the system mostly for movies or have to wall mount then the RSS300s are a good choice.

If you have to step down to the RS850s to be able to afford the RSC200 and RS250s then I would do so. It would give you a much more balanced system and would increase your High Res Audio listening enjoyment with little if any decrease in the ambience of surround movies.

As for the receiver I would reccomend something that can put out plenty of power or perhaps even looking at seperates. What's your budget for the receiver or pre-pro & amps?

Hope this helps :)

by budget for the reciever or seperates is 3000 max.

I'm having problems finding any store around me that has the rockets or axioms that everyone recommends over everything else. I need to listen to them and yet i cant find them anywhere. frustrating.....

here is my biggest problem.

No one around me has heard of axiom or the rockets that I so desire.
So i can't really listen to them which everyone says i should do. I keep running across shit that isnt axiom or the rockets.

I just listened to some klipsh rf-7's which had an awesome wide sound and had some decent highs...

I really need to find a dealer that has the rockets and axioms...
i live in the chicago suburbs...

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I think that Rockets and Axiom are available on-line ONLY. They have no dealers.
I am assuming that you have been to AV123.com ?
The have their own batch of seperates coming out that you might wanna check out. You would even get the family pricing.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello David:

I agree with all of the comments from all of the other replies. I have Rockets all around, including the Bigfoot. Don't scrimp on your center channel. An outrageous percentage of your HT sound (I'm guessing 75%, chime in, folks!)comes out of the center. The Bigfoot is nothing short of awesome.

You will not find Rockets in any store. They are online order only. In order to do an audition, you have to hook up with a Rocket owner in your area. We are very helpful and accomodating :) ! Here is the link to help you find a Rocket owner in your area:

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=715

Good luck.

Nick B

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since speakers like Rocket, Axiom, and Swans are internet only some people organized a website to help prospective buyers find owners in their area to demo with. Go to www.audioenvy.com and see if you can find anyone in your area.

With $3000 I would strongly consider seperates or perhaps a $1k receiver as a pre-pro w/ dedicated outboard amplification.

i will be auditioning more speakers today.

The room i am in is a living room.

I have the 70 inch in one corner and i am planning on putting the fronts to either side of it. I want to put the sub behind it and put the surrounds on the wall by my couch since it is right up against the wall with no room behind it for shit.

Updates later today on what i heard.

If push comes to shove i might just say fuck it and by the rockets, and the svs sub if i cant find anywhere to hear them. Everyone says that I cant beat the rockets or axioms if i choose and the svs sub would kick any subs ass.

I really want to hear the rockets and svs sub BUT NO PLACE HAS THEM @@!!!!

RandyAT

Auditioning
You might want to reconsider a spot for the sub that close you might find that it will cause the picture to shake as I did. Just something to think about.
Good Luck
Randy

Ok here goes my nut...

I went to this store called sound and video which were nice enough to open for me even though they were closed.

The guy promptly asked about my price range considering I was dressed like a homeless meth addict and had 36 hr O clock shadow.

After that I listened to the RBH signature series 1044-SE floor speakers.

site ww.rbhsound.com/

A review -w.rbhsound.com/hometheater1299.shtml

The salesman told me that the drivers on these were made of aluminum and that made the sound quality kick ass. So I listened to them with a music cd I brought.

It was pretty good. Would have been much better if the encoding quality on the cd I brought was all cd standard instead of ripped of my computer at 192KB. Then he put on this jazz cd and as soon as she started singing it was like I could feel her raspy breath on my cheek.

Then it got lame. He put on the movie Pearl Harbor. Lame freaking movie. The first scene I just sat there but as soon as he put on the fight scenes with boats blowing up and machine gun fire my chest started pumping. I could feel those base explosions in chest and feet. The movie sucks but if he had put on the matrix I probably would have pissed myself while tears of joy came over my face.

Good speakers.

What do you guys think of RBH? Any one heard of them?

Are the rocket series or axiom better then RBH?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You might get more responses if you tone the language down. When I got an email reminder that someone had responded to this thread my e-mail client marked it with 3 chili peppers (the sign of very strong language) and I was suprised that the warning was legitimate. There's not alot of that kind of language on this forum and it turns alot of people off. There are tons of great ways to express your enjoyment or even your dislike for a product without using foul language. No judgements or preaching intended, I just think you'd get more responses with a bit more tact.

Good luck in your speaker hunt :)

I have edited for the kiddies.

just bought the SVS PC-Ultra sub

now i need to decide between the rocket series r1000.
and the RBH'S i listened to.

in a bind

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The PC-Ultra will make a great sub. I'm sure either speaker will please you but to my eyes (not necesarily ears) the rockets look like they would be much more impressive, especially when paired w/ the RSC200 which is a monster of a center channel. But that said you have heard the RBHs and know you like their sound. Did you have any luck finding any one in your area to auditon the rockets (audioenvy or the av123 board)? You wouldn't even really have to listen to the RS100s, the RS750s and 550s (which have been available much longer and more people have) would give you a good idea of the sonic characteristics and help you decide if it's the kind of sound you like.

Hope this helps :)

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Like others have said, don't skimp on the center channel. You seem to be prepared to put down some good money for some good sound, so trust us on this one. You won't be disappointed with the results of a top of the line center.

I might get a nad receiver.

I hear NAD has been having some quality control issues??

Undecided about the reciever.

Any suggestions on the reciever considering I will probably get the rocket r1000s, and matching center and surrounds.

and wtf is this bigfoot center speaker stuff i keep hearing about?

i want to buy a setup asap.

i'm prob going to get the rocket series 1000 with matching center and surrounds.

Some guy named demetri called me that has the RS750s and says i can listen to them.

Have yet to decide on a receiver having ruled out seperates.

The last thing to decide on is the receiver...

Some people have been saying go with nad but i hear they have been having customer care problems and quality control problems too.

What is a kick ass receiver to match up with the rocket series?

Aragon 2005-AMP
Anthem AVM-20-PRE-AMP
Onix Rocket series rs1000's - Fronts
Onix Rocket series rs200- center
Onix rocket series rs300- surrounds
svs pc ultra- Sub

Revison ver.7.9

what do you think?

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I think that is a very good choice. I definetly think you should be going seperates if you are going with that big of a speaker.

I haven't heard Rockets, but I do think that RBH makes a hella good spkr. They always get great reviews too.
They use aluminum drivers as well. Some companies choose these as they are light and stiff and fast = accuracy.
I don't think you would go wrong with either.

Thanks for toning the language too.

Aragon 2005-AMP
Anthem AVM-20-PRE-AMP

Or

Emotiva DMC-1 Pre-Amp/Processor
Emotiva MPS-1 Seven Channel Amplifier

ww.av123.com/products_product.php?section=processors&product=22.1

Onix Rocket series rs1000's - Fronts
Onix Rocket series rs200- center
Onix rocket series rs300- surrounds
svs pc ultra- Sub

Revison ver.347

Anyone heard anything on the new Emotivas coming out? Reccommend?

what about this?
Anthem
Statement D1 Surround-Sound Processor
-ww.hometheatersound.com/equipment/anthem_statement_d1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks