What's new

New System Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

CH125

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I just purchased my new home theater system with the following components:
  • 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-141FD
  • Pioneer Elite SC-7 Receiver (actually I already had it on hand)
  • Integra DBS-30.1 Blu Ray
  • (2) B&W CM7 Floor Speakers
  • B&W CMC Center Channel
  • (4) B&W DS3 Surround Sound Speakers
  • B&W ASW610 Subwoofer
  • Universal MX-980 Remote
I ordered it today and am starting to have a couple of concerns.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Integra BluRays? I tried to research this model and not a single hit on the web. I pretty much took the salesman's advise on it.

Also, I found some mixed reviews on the DS3 Surround speakers...mine are going into a 15 x 40 foot room with a low ceiling (finished basement). I was going to mount (2) on the side walls and (2) on the rear walls. Does anyone have these speakers or would you advise to try something else?

Finally, I am very new to this and don't have near the experience that some of you on this forum have...did I make any crucial mistakes I should try and rectify before the equipment ships?

This is a rather large investment for me and I guess I am starting to get a little nervous so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think most around here would have opted for an SVS or HSU sub woofer and a Harmony remote.

As for the BluRay player, you're right. I could only find pictures of it but nothing else. Take a look at the OPPO-BDP-83 universal sacd/dvd-a BluRay player. It's only available from OPPO but it's pretty much the best out there for $499. Not saying you should cancel the order on the Integra but I'd be concerned about not finding any info on it.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Integra is supposed to be Onkyo's higher end stuff. The player should be a good one.
I'm not familiar with B&W speakers, but I know a lot of people like them. The ones I hear most about are the 600 & 800 series.
Look around their web site. You may find some info there.
www.integrahometheater.com/
Good luck!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The CM series speakers work well for HT but they are marketed for music. The center speaker was the weak point in the past. It may have improved since I last looked (18 months ago). The DS3's are normally paired with the 600 series, but they should work fine with the CM series. They should have no problem filling your room with sound.

I agree with the recommendation to get a different sub. While B&W makes great speakers, subs are not their strong point. SVS is what I like.

I didn't know Ingetra made a Blu-Ray (I heard about an Onkyo one). I'd suggest looking at OPPO or Panasonic if you don't need the features of the OPPO.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Chock up another vote for a Harmony remote and an internet direct sub. The MX-980 is a little out of date, hard to program and definitely not as easy to use as a Harmony. For the price of an MX-980, you can get the sweet Harmony 1100 touchscreen, the Mercedes Benz of remotes, and save some money.

www.amazon.com/Harmony-Advanced-Universal-Control-3-5-Inch/dp/B001M5U5AC/ref=sr_1_5

As for subs, you can't beat SVS or the like for subs. Nothing at a brick and mortar joint can touch them for the price. No need to match the sub to the speakers, so take advantages where you can.

CH125

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
No, I didn't listen to the CM9's....fortunately the did not have any set up.

I think I'll check out the SVS subs, I know the same place sells them.

As for the Harmony, I decided against the Harmony because I have one for my main living room and I am constantly having to reprogram it. When it is working, the clock on it won't keep time...not that the clock is a big deal, I just thought maybe it was indicative of a poor product.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
SVS is internet only. http://www.svsound.com/products.cfm

Harmony (Logitech) make some the best remotes out there. I have a 670 and love it. There is a huge user community that keep these on the cutting edge. Highly recommended.

PS - Are you sure you have a Harmony remote? The settings are saved on the internet and, even if you lose your settings, are restored. No reprogramming...

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I don't know why you guys are ragging on the MX-980 choice. That's a killer remote; great button layout, better longer lasting construction, RF capability, total icon customization (unlike Harmony), ease of usage is every bit as good if programmed properly. Just very expensive in comparison to the Harmony. Ease of programming -- well maybe as a software engineer I am not the right person to judge how hard it would be for an average layperson since neither seems at all difficult to me.

I'm also a Harmony fan, but mainly because of price vs. performance, you can get it to do everything 95% of people would ever really need for a lot less money. I used to like URC more but they've positioned their "pro" line for custom installers only, and became somewhat anti-DIY'ers. High prices and making software+updates harder to obtain. Which pissed me off since I'm pretty sure I can program rings around the average CI, also I was put off by CIs defending their position in internet forums, claiming that only CIs could figure out how to properly program something as simple as a remote, LOL.

CH125

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by David Willow

SVS is internet only. http://www.svsound.com/products.cfm

Harmony (Logitech) make some the best remotes out there. I have a 670 and love it. There is a huge user community that keep these on the cutting edge. Highly recommended.

PS - Are you sure you have a Harmony remote? The settings are saved on the internet and, even if you lose your settings, are restored. No reprogramming...
My mistake, the other line they carry is Velodyne...would this be a better option?

Positive, it is a Harmony 890....reprogram was probably not the right term to use, I have to plug it back into my PC and restore every so often.

kenyan

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
My guy at APW is recommending the Integra as well. Since you have it, how has it been working for you. I'm getting a new Runco plasma tv. These are supposed to be the creme a la creme of plasmas. Not cheap by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks