What's new

New SVS Plus Driver! (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Thanks for the reply, Steve, even though I don't see it posted here. I did receive about 152 e-mails showing your post though!:D

Wierd.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
George,

If your SVS Plus sub was built Jan 05 or later it's got the 12.2. You can validate this visually by looking down into the sub (not possible with a PB sub, you'll have to loosen up the amp and peek inside).

Look for a rubber magnet cover, we did this on the 12.2 to keep our own sanity with rev.s out there.

Ron
SVS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I cant think of the last post I have made in the reg speaker-subwoofer section. I still spend plenty of time there, but in the DIY section. The format has just gotten to skewed. One thing is for certain from my view..as much as some try to hold a good company and good people back, their/SVS products will move forward regardless, on account of performance for the $$ toped with their customer care. In my view and dealings, there is no better.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Why can't people just like and appreciate their subs w/o kicking dirt at others?

BTW, AVS sells SVS subs, so their relationship cannot be that bad. Surprised?

Ron,
Is there a performance increase in the new driver and where? Low end, distortion, etc. (Answered above)
Do you guys ever make changes to your amps overtime?

Also, I personally think that current + owners should find an ISD owner and sell their old driver for the $100 upgrade fee. That way 2 people get upgrades and the SVS family can form some new bonds.
I am sure Ron or someone could comment if there are any incompatibilities w/ the amp and new driver integration.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Steve, nice to see that your post finally made it. That was strange.

Thanks for the reply.

And thanks for yours too, Ron.

Adil,

You may very well find someone willing to do this for you.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
It's not for me, it's a suggestion for SVS owners to give a helping hand to those who only have the entry level drivers.
It makes sense, b/c it's a win/win.

DavidSGT

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I won't be selling mine. It will be a spare or if I am lucky a very heavy paperweight, hehehe

Go svs...
David

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jack

I get "Access Denied" when I click on your link. Now you have my curiosity aroused.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Adil,

In most if not all cases that won't work. The flange and baffle recess is not compatible. The 500 watt amps are custom configured to the parameters of the Plus woofer such that dropping one in an older ISD based sub isn't likely to yield much if any improvement. Of course there would be warranty issues too, so frankly I'd recommend against it.

Keeping the woofers as spares, or if you are particularly enterprising, making your own sub with any replaced 12.2 or 12.1 Plus woofers could be fun (though much as we'd love to providing help on such things will probably be beyond the staff's ability just in terms of time).

ISD-based sub owners have a new prospect to upgrade that's going to be fully supported by the SVS factory-works.

The NSD woofer has arrived. We'll miss the ISD, we really will, it's like a solid old friend, lover or car you genuinely hated to see replaced.

But replaced it is.

http://www.svsound.com/news-news.cfm

The NSD is drop in ready (upgrades will be available to ISD owners for pre-order probably in mid-May) and is virtually all the woofer the 12.2 Plus driver ever was. No hype, no fanfare, and no two year lead up with all sorts of promises and crazy proclamations about who it was gonna slay. It's here and it's shipping and it's damn good (it had to be or the ISD would not have been replaced).

If you think we're just in the mood to pile on, when no products we know even caught up to the "old" ISD ... and we just want to solidify quantitative and qualitative advantages over other brands... well, you would be right.

Other than that blathering (and that on the website itself) we'll let the NSD do the talking (and those customers that have been knowingly beating on them for weeks).

Ron
SVS

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Good grief! So now I am really wondering just how "bad" are the drivers used on my 16-46 octet and twin B12-Plus/4 subs by comparison!... :frowning:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I've been an SVS owner since my first order around number 300. Went from 1 1646pc (original setup), to upgrading the driver, then a better amp, then selling that and getting a 1646pc+, then buying my 2nd 1646pc+.

Always the same great customer service and phenomenal sub performance.

This new driver upgrade will work on any pc+, right?

If so, I'm planning on upgrading both of my Svs's.

Keep up the great work Ron/Tom.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Frank, it has been a while..:)

you have 16 plus drivers total---right? I'm not really sure if you would even benefit. I mean, if you never driver faster than 150mph...what is the difference if you modify your "hot rod" to go 250mph rather than 200mph?

Tom V.
SVS

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Derrick,

Yes, the new plus 12.3 will work in any plus subwoofer. It won't be any fun getting it into a B12/plus/4...but it will fit..:)

Tom V.
SVS

Michael Saint

Auditioning

Good God man........what's the rest of your system consist of? You obviously don't live within 5 miles of me or I'd know it by now.....:)

Ron when did the new pb12-nsd start shipping? i just ordered a pb12-isd received it the 20th and have already had problems with the seal. I didnt realize the nsd had been shipping. should i have received the nsd? Oh and i emailed tech support about the seal problem...with pictures. thanks shaun

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
SVS,

Yes, that's the new NSD. I've already met with our woofer engineer (I'm at the factory this week for meetings) and he's seen the image. Looks like that seal crept over a bit and probably was a source of a leak. Not good. That'll be fixed very soon I'm sure. I believe the plan is to tool a one piece design that can't do that but in the meantime that'll be inspected more closely (yours was probably one of the very first built and a flaw like this just slipped thru).

I doubt it'll ever happen again, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Ron
SVS

thanks Ron. Yeah I'm positive that was the problem because it has not been an issue since i fixed it. I'm just glad that was the problem and not that i like to listen to it a little on the hot side. It sounds alot better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks