What's new

New SVS Member (1 Viewer)

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for the SVS revolution
icon14.gif
!! I just ordered my 20-39CS based on the reviews in this forum and the fantastic support I received from Tom and Ron. These guys are doing things the right way.
Now I just can't wait 'till it arrives!
Do you think I'll notice much of a difference?
wink.gif
I'm replacing my 6" Sherwood
laugh.gif
blush.gif
!!
Thanks Again Tom and Ron!
------------------

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
my b-stock SVS 25-31PC shipped today and i'm about to die of anticipation! it's gonna replace the cheapo sub 'module' type thing that came with my Cambridge SoundWorks Ensemble IV system.
i cant wait to blow the roof off my dorm...hehehe...
drool.gif

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure to get Avia & a radio shack SPL meter so you can calibrate it properly. This is critical to getting it to sound its best. I love my SVS, it really lives up to all of its hype and more. . . .
------------------
"Remember Sammy Jenkins"

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Matt, All,
Thanks for the kind words. When you fire that sub up you KNOW you did right, and we mostly run this business to KNOW we did the right thing for you.
The right sub is absolutely critical to good HT sound and when you step up from a 6" woofer the phrase "night and day" comes to mind. Finally hearing HT like it was meant to be is what SVS is all about (and making it so mere mortals can afford it is the real trick).
Pay heed to Tyson's sage advice. A test disk like Video Essentials (my favorite, though I admit I am not very familiar with Avia) tests your ENTIRE audio chain, and (HT) life without the trusty Radio Shack Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter would hardly be worth living.
If you use a tire guage to ensure your car tires are the proper inflation, then you can relate. If you poke them with a toe and say "looks good to me" (or worse don't even do that) then maybe an SPL meter isn't for you.
We've seriously thought of bundling them with our subwoofers we feel they are THAT critical to good HT setup.
Ron

Matt Parsons

Stunt Coordinator
Ron and Tyson,
I do have VE and the Radio Shack SPL, I know what a difference it makes to set them up right and can't wait to do so. My new Denon 3802 is scheduled to arrive today, the SVS I assume sometime next week......Nirvana
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'll post my findings when it's all said and done, thanks again to all.
Matt
------------------

congrats, matt. i have the 25-31PC and you will NOT be disappointed. upgrading from the little thing you have now will be like the first time you saw a DVD and couldn't believe how you managed with VHS all those years. you will just giggle to yourself when you first feel it.
although, i am very glad i am not living in the room next to, below, or above you and needing to study...my neighbor knows when i am playing a deep bass movie and that is a separate house that is 30FT away! (he thought my house was going to blow up during the depth charges in Das Boot).
the time between now and arrival will pass incredibly slow. but, it's worth it.
sdg
------------------

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
We've seriously thought of bundling them with our subwoofers we feel they are THAT critical to good HT setup.
THat is brilliant. I think you should stop joking about it and start offering it. I guess that's why you own the company and I just work for one(to paraphrase Mike Boogie from BB2 :) )
Rich
------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Richard,
That wasn't a joke. We ARE considering it. Problem is, so many folks already have one that it might be a bit of a waste. And $40 is a chunk or margin to throw away when it might be a waste.
With our SS line we might be including them anyway. Hard to convince folks that just dropped $5K on a subwoofer system to trundle down to Radio Shack and spend $40, maybe.
Anyway, you'll get my SPL meter when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Ron (happiness is a warm SPL meter) Stimpson

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Thought that was Ron "Happiness is a SS system" Stimson?
wink.gif

Its amazing how much of a difference a $40 SPL meter makes in a system.
You going to be able to go over to Tyson's one day and audition some of his equipment?
[Edited last by BryanZ on August 01, 2001 at 03:13 PM]

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I am also a new svs owner. My 20-39pc just arrived this afternoon. I haven't had a lot of time to demo it, mostly music so far, but from what I've heard thus far I am exremely happy! From what I've read here an spl meter is pretty important to the optimization of the sub(I already have VE). Looks like I'll be making a trip up to radio shack.
Also one more point I'd like to make. I mentioned this in a post I made last night but for those that missed it I'd like to reiterate. I oredered my sub monday night at 2:30a.m. The next evening at 8:30 I got my shipping notice. And the next afternoon, which would be today, it arrived! A day and a half after ordering it. If thats not service than I don't know what is.
RobP

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Hello..
Has anybody bought the equalizer with there subs and do you think you need to buy one?
Thanks
Rhett

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad those of us here out west have to wait a week to get our subs. I placed my order last Wednesday and I'm suppose to take delivery tomorrow. This has been one of the longest weeks of my life. I'll be watching for the UPS man tomorrow and looking forward to getting the subs and amp hoooked up. I just hope it lives up to all the hype here on this forum. Ron and Tom are great at answering questions I just wish they had an overnight delivery option.
Mike (going crazy with anticipation)

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
Well I kinda know how you feel Mike, although I only had to wait 1 day it was the longest day in my life!
laugh.gif

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Mike,
Actually we can send stuff 2-3day express or overnight. We don't advertise this because nearly every time folks have had to recover from sticker shock when we quote the extra shipping costs. Our subs are not nearly has heavy as their performance would indicate, but the boxes we ship in are BIG (to help limit damage).
With most shippers you could be sending 5Lbs in boxes like ours and we'd still be paying thru the nose. It's all based on "cubes" (cubic feet).
As it is, we lose money on every sub shipped if you consider all the time and expense Tom and his crew go thru to ensure the subs get there in one piece, and pay off UPS. Making a great sub is pretty easy. Making a great sub you can ship at an affordable price and have it arrive like it left...that's the trick.
So far UPS's record is better than FedEx ground. Though they did manage to destroy one CS-Ultra already.
Keep us posted on your sub's arrival. Every one we send out is like the first...we don't rest till we know it's gotten there in good shape and set up without issue.
Next time let us know, I'll drive out to your place and deliver it. My 5 years in Sierra Vista AZ were some of the best times ever.
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on August 01, 2001 at 09:16 PM]

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
Now you tell me!! But you are welcome anytime to visit us here in the greater Phoenix area, but just a hint, wait until January or February when the weather isn't 105 and muggy. Most of the time it's a dry heat but not the last week or so. I sit here in anticipation of the UPS man and I'm sure I will be back later to let you know that the subs arrived and everything is okay, and then I get to enjoy my first HT upgrade in my long list. Talk to you soon!
Mike

Eric Porper

Agent
Just got my 20-39cs yesterday, and I am impressed. I am powering it with a Marantz MA500 monoblock. I haven't even done full calibration yet, just hooked it up and did a quick ear calibration(I couldn't wait to pop a movie in!) and I was 110% satisfied and impressed(I just cant wait until I calibrate and crank it)
It sounds beautiful. I am listening to music now and it is really brilliant. Thanks to everyone at SVS!!!
------------------
Eric,
-----------------------
Equipment list
Reciever - Onkyo 787
Mains - Paradigm Monitor 11v.2
Center - Paradigm cc370
Surrounds - Paradigm Studio ADP
Sub - SVS 20-39cs
Amp - Marantz ma500 monoblock
[Edited last by Eric Porper on August 02, 2001 at 11:18 AM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Rhett,
adding the EQ will have the most benefit when you experience severe room induced response peaks at one or more of your listening positions.
>>>Just got my 20-39cs yesterday, and I am impressed. I am powering it with a Marantz MA500 monoblock. I haven't even done full calibration yet, just hooked it up and did a quick ear calibration(I couldn't wait to pop a movie in!) and I was 110% satisfied and impressed(I just cant wait until I calibrate and crank it)
It sounds beautiful. I am listening to music now and it is really brilliant. Thanks to everyone at SVS!!!
Eric,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks