What's new

New surround format announced (1 Viewer)

Alex F.

Second Unit
A new 12.1 surround-sound format, expected to become the industry standard by early 2004, was announced in a press conference this morning. The new system will utilize five loudspeakers across the front of a room, two on each side, and three in the rear, plus one LFE channel. While it will make all current home-theater receivers, preamp/processors, and DVD players obsolete, a spokesman stated that the new format provides the most realistic surround performance ever heard in a home environment. According to the press release, leading manufacturers of home-theater components intend to introduce the new surround system during their next product cycle, and not later than April 1, 2004, when another format change might be announced.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I thought that the new sound format would be 15.4 + A(x), with 5 fronts, 3 rear, 4 sides, 3 ceiling, 4 subwoofers, and x numbers of Aura bass shakers, x being equal to the number of seats in said configuration. Too bad we might have to wait a couple of weeks before this new sound format is integrated into the newest receivers and processors, as well as maybe even a 72 grace period after that before we get the new, THX Super Ludicrous Ultra XXX certification on the newest components from Altec Lansing and Bose.;)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
April fools aside, there is a 10.2 format being pushed by Tom Holman (the TH in THX) and other groups that i believe are based in Australia. Bjorn's Audio/Video in San Antonio was the first store to have a certified 10.2 room open to the public. the system actually has 12.2 speakers, and a computer decides on which of the rear speakers to use to create a 10.2 soundfield.

it's VERY cool :)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
No, Thomas is being serious... it's kindof interesting... on the level of complete immersion, but I don't know that it could become a reality anytime soon in America, since it would cost a FORTUNE to do.

Alex F.

Second Unit
I had Holman's proposed surround format in mind when I wrote the original post. Recalling his idea of 10 channels, I decided to go with even more, hence 12 channels. Hmm, maybe I should've gone with a 12.3 system.

It would be funny if a loudspeaker manufacturer read the post with initial glee, thinking about future sales possibilities. "Oh boy, are we gonna sell a ton of speakers next year, the year after, and...!"

Yogi

Screenwriter
The more the number of channels introduced in new surround formats the more I am drawn to plain 2 ch stereo.

Ron_L

Second Unit
Well DTS unveiled their XD10 commerical theaterical processor and it has 10 channel capability.

I think this is the future.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
the 10.2 definitely exists...i read about it...says its great...

but its so impractical...

plus could imagine trying to explain to the wife why you need speakes on the ceiling????

V

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I like the idea of having speakers in the ceiling for a fly by effect. They can be like in-walls, totally recessed. Or they can have motors on them and flip down when needed. I already have upgraditis, doesn't matter if I add to it.

NicholasL

Second Unit
Tomlinson Holman is a sound professor over at USC where I go to school, and I quote his sales pitch "10.2. It's twice as good."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks