1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Superbits from Columbia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Mirza, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Well-Known Member

Here are the three new additions to Columbia's Superbit line: Resident Evil, Heavy Metal 2000 and - prepare yourself for this one - The Who's Tommy (!)

All are due on 12/17.

Tommy?!?

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]Heavy Metal 2000??! WHY!??
    Why didn't they release....anything else?!
    Ridiculous.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Well-Known Member

I'll at least be doing Resident Evil. Wonder if it's a Deluxe?

Troy

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Well-Known Member

Where is Das Boot?
    In my Anconda SB there was a flier and said "Look for Das Boot soon" or something like along those lines.

5. Jehan

Jehan Well-Known Member

Whoa, I don't know how they decide on these but Tommy sounds great! [​IMG]

6. Daniel Mai

Daniel Mai Well-Known Member

Somebody over there must want the Superbit format to fail. COME ON!![​IMG]

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    I think Lawrence of Arabia is a possible title as well.

It's on their poll and they just made a new DTS track.

The DTS track happens to have been approved by Robert Harris, I think...so perhaps Columbia can also color time it properly.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Well-Known Member

I'd rebuy LOA SuperBit if Mr. Harris approved it
    Das Boot as well (w/o Harris connotation)

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Well-Known Member

Superbit: Making crap films look and sound great!

10. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

I've said it before - as did someone else - Superbit is about reference or near-reference transfers and NOT about good movies. Columbia seems to be only concerned about what movies will give the best transfer. Period.

For whatever reason, it appears that the majority of great transfers from Columbia are BAD movies.

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Well-Known Member

Damn...how about Dark Crystal or Dr. Strangelove with PCM or...man, just fill in the blank, you know?

12. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Well-Known Member

Fuuny you folks should be discussing this...
    Just saw my first superbit yesterday, which was cool. Unfortunately, it was Bram Stoker's Dracula, which was not cool. Sure looked nice, but an actual screenplay would've helped the movie a lot more than the beautiful (and it was!) transfer did.

13. JoshB

JoshB Well-Known Member

This will not be the last Resident Evil release. Director Paul Anderson has already stated that the soon to be released Special Edition will include different recorded commentary from the previous edition, along with other new features. So if anything this new superbit will be a superbit deluxe, with the few features found on the original release on a second disc. But since no mention of a superbit deluxe, it will more than likely be a single disc release.

14. Blaine

Blaine Active Member

On this "Superbit" thread, has anyone figured out what's up with the "Mask of Zorro"? What does the Superbit give us that the reciently released "Special Edition" does not?

Blaine

15. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member

Superbit dvd's use different quantizer values than those from other studios. This allows more detail to reach the encoder in the first place. This is why they need more space on the DVD. More detail, less easy to compress, higher constant bitrates.
    The problem is most people don't have a good enough/big enough display to appreciate the difference.

16. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Well-Known Member

a DTS track that is pretty aggressive (sometimes too much for my taste).
    otherwise, the picture is a little bit darker, maybe a hair tighter, and thats it.
    i've been pulling out the 1st edition and the SB for the last two days and trying valiently to see all the new, finer details that higher bit rate should allow me to see and i can't.
    i re-read the SB jacket copy over and over trying to brainwash myself into believing the MOZ SB is a significant improvement over the original release, but it just ain't worked yet.

on my 75" wide screen, both versions look about as good as the NTSC format gets.

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph

18. Jeff F.

Jeff F. Well-Known Member

Two thumbs up for "Tommy."

It's one of my favorite films and is deserving of a Superbit treatment, IMHO.

19. JamesY

JamesY Well-Known Member

Ever since I got a FPJ, Superbit titles have really been great, but it is too bad that their efforts are towards movies that (in my opinion) would NOT appeal to their superbit audience. Most users with nice setups are also film buffs, and these titles do not meet stature of a "Lawrence" or even "Das Boot."

Even though I love Superbits, I really wish they would work on restoring and releasing catalog titles rather than on RE-RE-releasing already satisfactory dvd's. Oh, and if ULTIMATE audio/video is their goal, why no EX or ES tracks? I understand the half bitrate DTS for space reasons, but EX and ES does not take more space.

20. JeremySt

JeremySt Well-Known Member

Am I the only one asking for a Superbit WOLF? LOA and Das Boot are at the top of my list, but the current Wolf is in dire need of a new transfer! The visual flair of this movie is prime Superbit material!