What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I still don't like the idea of the series only being available via paid subscription. I decided to send an email to [email protected] and complain about the bad publicity this move is making and how as a CBS stockholder I am upset about it. It will be interesting to see if I get any response.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've been very down about the state of Star Trek. But this news is encouraging. At least Fuller was involved in good Star Trek.

In regards to the paid access to CBS to view the series, I don't really know how I feel yet. If It's good, it could be worth a look. What I don't like is now trying to use the CBS app and having to pay to view new shows. So I wait a week before I can see it, but then I forget and then it's no longer viewable. I don't have cable on purpose, so I'm penalized.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The new show has added none other than Nicholas Meyer to its writers. This should give the series a big boost of confidence from fans.

Amen. This is the first bit of news that has me genuinely excited and hopeful for the new show.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Unexpected and awesome news that will hopefully bring some much-needed character drama and actual storytelling instead of "let's tech the tech."

Still not subscribing to CBS All Access though.
Yeah, that's what Meyers did best - bring the characters and stories forward beyond the more supernerd elements. The latter has its place, but it's not what ultimately drives the franchise to its best representations.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Since most of Brian Fuller's Star Trek work was on Voyager, I'm more encouraged by his post-Star Trek work. I've given Voyager many chances over the years, and it's the only Trek show that consistently disappoints me. Fuller's DS9 episodes were very good, and obviously, he has built up an impressive body of work outside of Star Trek. With him and Meyer, the show could be in good hands.

I was less encouraged by Les Moonves' comments, that Star Trek is the "crown jewel," etc. etc. and that CBS wanted to exploit that to launch it's app, even though - and he admits - Netlfix, Amazon and Hulu were willing to pay "big bucks" for a Star Trek show. Exploiting Star Trek is exactly what happened in 1995 with the simultaneous launch of the UPN network and Voyager. Both were failures.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Sounds interesting, but not sure how I feel about it yet.

Still not going to add another subscription service just to see it. Hopefully, it will have other outlets soon after initial airings/streamings/whatever.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In regard to the streaming service that CBS is offering, $5.99 gets you the show with commercials, according to Les Moonves' speech the other day. They are considering a $9.99 option which will have it with no commercials.

Seems like a lousy deal either way; for $6 a month, I get to watch one show with commercial breaks, yet for $9 a month on Netflix, I get to watch more shows and movies than I can count with no ads. Yes, I know CBS will have other programming, but as yet, nothing that isn't available on other platforms. As a business idea, CBS All Access is not a good one.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
'Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country' was probably my least favorite Trek film. It is interesting that Fuller finds that film as one of his favorites. If the new series is heavy with political overtones, it may be interesting though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks