What's new

New Speaker design (PICS) (1 Viewer)

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=13015

Scroll down a little

Hopefully the above link will work. Need to copy and paste.
These speakers are based on a Ed Frias design, the ARdiys. I used the same drivers, crossovers and cab volume.
Having seriously listened to them, I find they are as good as the box version of this design or bit better in the imaging; soundstage. I made them so I could use them ported or sealed. This allows me to play with the integration with Tempest diy.

This link will give a view with my Tempest.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=13152

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Absolutely gorgeous!

That had to take some serious time routing all of those
seperate pieces but the end result is nothing short of
complete elegance!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Wow, those are gorges, very nice work:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:Love the sub too. Do you plan to put any type of finish on them?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Joe,

From what I can see (Hopefuly Mike will confirm this) they
look like they are finished. My eyes tell me they are done
in some sort of peachish color of textured Latex Paint?

I am just guessing but it doesn't look like raw MDF to me..

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Very Nice,

I can see some B&W nautilus inspiration in them. If so, then the baffle is similar to a TL enclosure which may have an impact on sound.

About time ppl start thinking outside the box.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Beautiful work and design, I almost did the multi ring thing myself, but instead went for a hybrid of rings for the front baffle and staves for the tapered back end.

Love to see unconventional designs, I'm tired of the old box thing, and I myself haven’t built a conventional box in many years.

Good work.

My weird & similar design

http://www.geocities.com/kingdaddyke...?1016664567380

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
Brett and Joe

The finish is from a spray can paint 'Speckle Tone'; it gives a nice textured speckled finish. I topcoat it with a clear low gloss acrylic. I went with the peach, shell colour to go with the style of the enclosure.

I like to thank everyone for the positive feedback. Now that I've had time to give them a listen, I find they are equal to the standards of the regular ARdiys (which I've always thought to be a great sounding speaker; to my ears anyway). Hopefully I'll get around to the center channel and rear channels in this design.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Michael, those are very unique - I really like the non-box approach. Congratulations on your cabinet work!
Mike: you too!

Geno

Supporting Actor
so, i guess the next ? to ask is, which sound better, ported or sealed???
ps how did you layout circles on MDF board???

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have an SPL meter at the moment to measure the bottom end of the speaker in sealed vs ported. But I suspect in the sealed configuration the bass rolloff will be a little higher vs the ported. My previous measurements with the regular box design with the port was rolling off at about 38Hz. The roll off of the bass is a moot point for me as I prefer the Tempest in handling the bass. I strongly believe in a seperate subwoofer to handle bass. There is so much more flexibility. Plus I think most speaker systems will do better when the bass is handled by a sub. But of course this dictated by personal prefrences.
I'm currently running these speakers in the sealed configuration with my Tempest. I'm liking what I'm hearing!

Karl FS

Grip
would you happen to have the original box design for this speaker? I'm thinking of building a set but the page on audioreview doesn't show any details on the enclosure. Your's look great but I'm not sure if I can handle cutting out all of those circles!

Michael Hartwig

Stunt Coordinator
Here are the original cab specs:

AR.com Kit Cabinet specs:

3/4" MDF material
13" high x 8 3/4" wide x 9 1/4" deep

Port size is 2" Dia (ID) x 6" deep from rear surface.
Rear Port hole is centered (widthwise) and 3" from top to center of port.

Speaker input terminal hole is 1 15/16" Dia. It is countersunk 3/16" deep x 3" Dia. This can be changed if you desire another type or size speaker terminal. Rear Speaker terminal hole is centered (widthwise) and 3" from bottom to center of hole.

Front Tweeter hole is 3 5/16" in diameter. Front tweeter hole is also centered widthwise and also 3" from top of cabinet to center of hole. If you opt to countersink the tweeter, cut 1/8" deep x 4 1/8" Dia.

Front woofer hole is 5 5/8" Dia. If you opt to countersink, use 3/16" deep x 6 15/16" Dia.
Front woofer is centered 4 1/4" from bottom of cabinet.

For more discussion about these speakers go to the Audioreview site and then Discussions -> Tweaks, Mods and Diy. You'll a lot of posts about these speakers.
luck

Cam S

Screenwriter
Those speakers look like they took an incredible amount of time and patience to build, though it seems to have paid off rather nicely. Kudos for thinking outside the box (pun intended) and coming up with something different.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Those are some dope speakers. Very nice. Designs like that (with good components of course) fetch commanding money on the open market.

Geno

Supporting Actor
I have one ? Micheal: how did you get the rings to stick together, i imagine glue but did you use something else too?
I guess pressure and glue would work but im just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks