1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Sony KDL-46HX820: problems with flashlighting & clouding - returnable? fixable?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Charles_Y, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Charles_Y

Charles_Y Stunt Coordinator

Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
    I own a Sony KDL-32XBR4 which has been great for four years but I wanted to trade up in size to something newer and just purchased the new Sony Bravia KDL-46HX820. This is one step down from the top of the line XBR HX929 and is pretty much the same in all ways except that it is dynamically edge lit rather than a full panel LED display as in the HX929.

I've had it since Monday and noticed something I've hoped never to see: flashlighting in the lower corners and extensive "Clouding" in many areas of the screen. This is apparent on black backgrounds. There is also a decided faint shift left to right in color tinting from red to greenish blue on solid white backgrounds.

My question is do I have sufficient grounds for a product return/excange and if not can it be elminated/alleviated by ISF calibration or even Sony service? I'm rather depressed over this issue as I have invested quite a bit of money in it. The salesman believes Sony has the best video processors out there and I'm not so positive after living with this for some days. I've fiddled with the video settings to no avail.

I've read of these problems over the years and prayed that I would never encounter them. I guess my time has come. Sad...

Has anyone been a victim of this? How did you handle it? I realize no TV can be perfect but this to me is a legitimate performance problem. If all of these models did this then I would say there is little to do but such is not the case.

I would appreciate hearing from others. Thanks.

2. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Definitely contact Sony, but first check out the Sony support pages for your model. You may find info on the problem, and maybe even a Sony recall.