What's new

New Sony $3000 SACD player (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I think we've been over the ground far more than is necessary. The fact is that Sony has a vested interest in SACD and is not going to do anything to help DVD-Audio along at this early stage. You didn't see Sony jump all over VHS early on. If and when Sony has lost the hi-rez "war", which is a questionable outcome to say the least, then I could see Sony jumping into the DVD-Audio game. The fact is that DVD-Audio has not earned enough marketshare to warrant Sony's attention right now. That is not to say that SACD has earned the marketshare to put DVD-Audio down for the count. SACD hasn't. That is why Sony will continue to push SACD. So now we've come full-circle. ;)

Ian Lascell

Agent
Am I missing something? Are there universal players out right now that top the individual SACD and DVD-A players? Sorry, I wasn't aware of it. I guess if one of them is 11K, that would explain why I hadn't heard of it. I must admit, I am surprised for the same reasons I already explained. But I guess they feel they can make a profit from those players.

Curtis, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your computer. It happens to all of us now and then. But I guess I don't see the relevance to the topic of the upcoming Sony SACD player. And I think you missed my point about there being plenty of audience for SACDs (at least as compared to DVD-A). While it appears I was wrong about the presence of high end universal players, my point that Sony isn't really counting on your support still holds true. You pointed out a number of universal players (one of which I own and like very much) that are less than half the price point of the upcoming Sony that you would be happier with and I think this illustrates it well. Sony makes SACD players. Other companies make DVD-A players. If you really want a universal player, I don't think either one of them will be counting on your business.

Sorry if my first post upset you. I didn't mean to give you a hard time. Just wanted to point out that there are differing opinions on the subject of SACD and DVD-A players, and hoped you would try to see it from a different perspective.

JackS

Supporting Actor
DVD-A is so previlent and almost standard with any DVDP produced today, I would think that most people who bought a player during the last year or so , already have DVD-a. If I were buying this Sony player(which I won't be), I would be happy to know that Sony used all their expertise refining and defining SACD and spent zero amount of effort on DVD-A.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Well,I suppose time will tell the tale.I spent only 1k on a multi player some time back(uses sony 999es chip),it works pretty good.I don't doubt sony's 3k machine will be sacd superior,it should be.No offence intended,non taken.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I have the entry level 5 disc DVP-NC650V Sony sacd player and through my Denon 5800/03 and 5 matched Totem model 1 speakers, (I'm sure it can though) I find it hard to imagine that anything could sound better. That goes for my entry level JVC FA92SL 7 disc dvd-a player.

My prediction however is that within 2 years, not only will Sony and Philips capitulate on dvd-a but just like DD5.1 and DTS most players particularly mid-market will be combi.

The high end players always risk the penchant of product reviewers of saying one format sounds better than the other in a given combi player.

I also predict that STEREOPHILE magazine will change its' name or go bust.

Sony has also come out with a new Flagship $4500US reciever at 170w perch like the Denon, with all and more than the required bells and whistles.

The people I feel for are the 2ch and analog audophiles who WILL jump on the mltich HIREZ bandwagon and will want he same quality that they now have, and its' going to cost them a fortune.

Anyway I'm sure Sony's new products are awsome and wish I could afford one of each!!

Peter m.

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
The people I feel for are the 2ch and analog audophiles who WILL jump on the mltich HIREZ bandwagon and will want he same quality that they now have, and its' going to cost them a fortune
Feel my pain. Multi-channel audio is out of the question ($$$), but I do have my eye on the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 2-channel SACD player.

Oh so Sweet!

Greg H Smith

Auditioning
Speaking of the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista and pertinent to the SACD vs. DVD-A discussion that this thread devolved into, I recently purchased a Tri-Vista and much to my surprise, it plays DVD-A's. There's no documentatation in the owners manual to that effect but I put in a DVD-A by mistake and it read and played it just fine. Interestingly enough, the remote has an audio mode button and if you push it when playing a DVD-A one of the modes is labelled "surr" on the front display (which is not documented in the owners manual either). When playing in this mode, my processor (a parasound C1) displays "Dolby 3/2" which (I believe) is Dolby 5.1 surround.

I'm as surprised as anyone by all this.

On a related rant, why do audio manufactures spend so little effort documenting their products?

Greg

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Your not hearing the DVD-A layer. Your listening to the 24/96 layer that plays on all DVD-V players and evidently your Tri-Vista.

$0.02

Greg H Smith

Auditioning
I believe you're correct that I'm listening the the DVD-V layer (that's what I thought also) but nonetheless, I'm surprised the Tri Vista plays DVD's at all since I've not seen this in any reviews or comments about it. As I said, I put in the DVD-A by mistake and was very surprised when it played.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks