What's new

New Seven Samurai and more Kurosawa from Criterion? (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Oh, well if it's up on their site I'm a little more optimistic. :):emoji_thumbsup:

I've been holding off on a few titles for just this reason.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
In regards to the original Seven Samurai DVD, keep in mind that Criterion can only do the best they can with the source material they are given to work with.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wow, that Is quite a difference between the two DVD's but I always knew that the Criterion DVD was handicapped by TOHO's policies regarding the availability of quality elements. I praise Criterion for offering us the best presentation that they could with what they were given to work with. As far as the less than perfect compression, this was the very first Criterion DVD (even though it has the spine #2) so they were still learning how to do compression properly along with everyone else in the business.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
In regards to the original Seven Samurai DVD, keep in mind that Criterion can only do the best they can with the source material they are given to work with.
This is definitely true, but it seems that Criterion might have done a little too much video processing to the image, to the point that some weird artifacts occasionally pop up. Toho is not exactly known for being gracious to whoever releases their titles in R1, so we can't fault Criterion 100%.

I put off buying Seven Samurai because I wasn't happy with the transfer, and I am glad I did so.

Hmm, I may hold off buying the Criterion Seven Samurai now, as I wouldn't want it twice. I was considering the BFI edition (with it being PAL and R2 and all), but it has hard-coded subtitles.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'll repurchase this title gladly for the new subtitles and (hopefully) improved transfer. While made in the early days of Criterion DVD, it's still not a horrible transfer, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but after asking Jon Mulvany if there was any truth to this rumour, the response I received this morning is:

We have no plans to do so at the moment. Maybe sometime down the line.
:frowning:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
See what I mean? Never assume anything based upon a rumor with inordinately high hopes....Murphy's law will prevail.

Time will tell though...hopefully I will at the very least get to see this in a theater.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
That might sound like bad news, but I can assure you it's one of the most promising things Jon Mulvaney ever says. Having no plans to do so at the moment simply means they aren't currently working on it - which, with Criterion, who are notoriously secretive about what they work on, certainly does not mean it isn't on the agenda.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just a random semi-related question-if Criterion re-releases a title, does it get a new spine number? I'm sure that the purists will debate the merits of both alternatives.

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Just a random semi-related question-if Criterion re-releases a title, does it get a new spine number? I'm sure that the purists will debate the merits of both alternatives.
The new 400 Blows and Beauty and the Beast transfers still have spine number 5 and 6 ...

I agree both options have merits, I like it this way since I'm trying to get as many Criterions as I can afford.

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I'm positive Criterion will re-release Seven Samurai eventually. Here's a more revealing reply from Mulvaney:
I'm afraid I cannot discuss upcoming titles that have not been officially announced.
That's like saying "no comment" when someone asks if you've ever used drugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks