1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

new sci-fi movies?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kevin Farley, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Well-Known Member

You woulda thunk after Matrix making ten gazillion dollars, it would pave the way for more hard sci-fi movies. not so far... What do we have to do to get more real sci fi movies? (more like niven, heinlein, gibson, not xmen 3 crap)

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

Hollywood only sees the surface of things, thus The Matrix only paved the way for wire-fu in fashionable clothing.

To get hard sci-fi on-screen you need some risk-taker to make one which goes on to become a big hit and there doesn't appear to be anything in serious development right now.

3. DavidPla

DavidPla Well-Known Member

There's two that I can think of. There's "The Fountain" coming out later this year and James Cameron's mega Sci-Fi secret project.

4. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Well-Known Member

Chuck Mayer
    A Scanner Darkly is also coming.

Hard sci-fi doesn't sell as well. As The Matrix Trilogy got more into harder sci-fi territory (also known as philosophy [​IMG] ), fans got less enamored of it. Contact made less money than Men in Black.

It's a good year, with A Scanner Darkly and The Fountain.

That's a win [​IMG]

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell

Hey hey! Be nice now! While not fantastic, they are hardly crap!
    [​IMG]

6. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Well-Known Member

? (click on me)

7. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Well-Known Member

As far as I know there is a project to film Arthur C. Clarkes "Rendezvouz with Rama", one of my favorite science fiction books. Morgan Freeman and David Fincher are supposed to be involved, but I have not heard anything new about it for a year or so.

8. Pete-D

Pete-D Well-Known Member

I think part of the problem is The Matrix ... after you've seen the Matrix, really I think almost every sci-fi trailer now gets a "oh, its a Matrix rip-off" response from the audience during a preview.

Then again, Aeon Flux and that other one with Milla Jovovich just looked like bad movies to boot.

9. AlexCremers

What trailers of what sci-fi movies? All I keep seeing are comic book adaptations. Where is the real sci-fi film?

10. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Well-Known Member

I know people will laugh if I mention the new Superman movie in this thread; but just think about it for a moment:

1. He's the last surviving alien from a species indigenous to another galaxy.

2. His "superpowers" are derived from a combination of the lesser gravity of earth (compared to his native Krypton) and the less-dense properties of our "yellow" sun (again compared to the denser "red" sun of his native solar system).

Doesn't this classify the film as Science Fiction??

11. AlexCremers

No, that's fantasy. It's completely bogus, like Star Wars.

12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's one of the ones that's in development hell [​IMG]

I guess the Masters of Sci-Fi spin-off of Masters of Horror should be mentioned, although that's television.

I can't seem to get excited by A Scanner Darkly because of the "animation". I'm afraid I'd get a migraine watching an entire movie in that style [​IMG]