1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New RPTV - need advice

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Harrison, May 15, 2003.

1. Mark Harrison

Last week I received the new Toshiba 51H83 Widescreen RPTV. I love the set but had a couple of questions. When using Avia to perform a basic video calibration I have to turn the brightness up to 83 in order to see one of the moving black bars. The room lighting was moderately dark when I performed the calibration. Is this going to shorten the life of the set?

On another note, I currently have a non HDTV cable signal coming into the set and would like to add over the air HDTV however my landlord will not allow me to mount a dish so I was hoping I could capture some OTA broadcasts with an indoor antennae (I am only 5 miles outside of Boston). What equipment would you recommend I purchase in order to receive HDTV in this manner and does it matter that this set now incorporates some funky DVI input in the back and how does that effect any of my decisions? Thanks.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

High brightness will have a neglgible effect on TV life. High contrast ... quite the opposite.

It just means your SErvice level brightness was set on the low side ... happens on occasion.

Regards

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Mark,

If you have Comcast cable, you can receive their HDTV box for an extra $2 a month and receive ABC, NBC, HBO, Showtime and PBSHD from them.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Federal law prohibits your landlord from preventing you installing a satellite dish.

5. KevinFC

KevinFC Stunt Coordinator

Federal law? Really? because half the apartment complexes here in Vegas wont let you do it.

6. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

7. Adrian D

Adrian D Stunt Coordinator

Mark,
    I am thinking very hard about purchasing that exact same TV soon. Do you mind saying where you bought it and the cost?