1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New reference concert DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Varacin, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

OK...I'll probably get some slack for posting this since it's a country DVD, but has anyone else seen the Randy Travis concert DVD? I watched it a few days ago, and I was very impressed. The audio and video are second to none. Almost perfect use of the surrounds. I must say, this is the first video that I really, honestly felt like I was in a theater, watching the performance. After watching it, I put in the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and John Fogarty discs for an immediate comparison. I have to say...the Randy Travis disc beats them all in audio and video.

Bonus- it's in Widescreen too!

Mike.

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I can't say that I'm into his music, but my wife likes country, so maybe I'll get it for her.

Peter Frampton Live in Detroit is the best rock DVD I've seen so far.

DJ

3. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I would still argue that Nine Inch Nails "and all that could have been" is the best concert DVD out there for sound and picture. The music just isn't for everyone.

4. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

My vote goes to Roger Waters: In the Flesh. Top notch 5.1 anamorphic presentation.

If you are a Waters/Pink Floyd fan, this is a must buy.

5. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

I have a few votes from my 35+ Music DVD collection:

Overall Audio and Video (no particular order):

Scorpions - Acoustica (dts/5.1/PCM, 12 Cameras - Sound is simply astonishing)
    James Brown - Live HOB (all sony hi def cameras/dts)
    Joe Satriani - Live (amazing Sound and picture with his chrome guitar)
    Motorhead - Boneshaker (5.1)
    Metallica - S&M
    Ozzy Osbourne - Live at the Budokan (A surprising presentation, pure steroidal rock n roll )

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Best concert DVD I've seen in a while is Diana Krall - Live in Paris. Has Dolby Digital Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and DTS 5.1 Surround. Anamorphic widescreen. Awesome DVD.

7. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

somehow, this is like the old "audiophile LPs" - the quality of the sound being inversely proportional to the quality of the performance ! [​IMG]

8. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

Michael,
    I have to agree with you that the sound and video on the Randy Travis disc is fantastic. I watched it late one night after a movie to unwind a little and was stunned by the quality of the picture. Check it out.
    Later
    Jim

9. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Thanks, Vlad.

I sat on this thread for a couple of days because I responded to another thread asking the same question (on another forum)---- "reference Concert DVD"?

"diana krall-
    ............LIVE IN -----
    ...................paris

is the current reference concert DVD which I own. It surpassed Eagles HFO and Steely Dan's "two against nature", and that is hard to do.

In my system, and in my tweaked dedicated basement HT room, the "Live in paris" (dts track) is simply the best I have ever heard out of my system.
    Even if you are not a fan of her, or even soft jazz, the dts track is just loaded with detail, IMO.

Very well mastered soundtrack, to say the least (and she doesn't hurt your eyes either).

BOK

10. Jeff F.

Jeff F. Stunt Coordinator

I must say that ELO "Zoom" also has a great DTS track and is also anamorphic.

One of the best sounding and looking IMHO.