What's new

new receiver vs. new power amp? (1 Viewer)

Scott Andrew

Stunt Coordinator
So my current set up is:

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1014TX
Fronts: B&W DM 604 - S3 x 2
Rears: B&W DM 602 - S3 x 2
Centre: B&W LCR 600 - S3
Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK2

The problem is I want it to be louder, I have the DM 604's bi-amped from the Pioneer but it seems as though they are still not getting enough power. So would I be better off spending $1000 on a 2 channel power amp just for my front towers and keeping the exiting receiver or buying a whole new receiver that has more power??

Thanks

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
What are the dimensions of the room?

My first choice for receiver to match the B&W 600 Series would be a Rotel RSX-1057. Alternatively I would recommend purchasing a Rotel RMB-1075 poweramp off of Audiogon ($800), which will deliver 5x120W all channels driven. This may not sound like much, but keep in mind that the Pioneer's wattage ratings are highly inflated, you're likely only getting 45-50WPC.

The B&W Group owns Rotel and Classé, so the two compliment each other very, very well.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
You could get one of those behringer A500 amplifiers.:D Does that sound familier?:D

Nomo

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom

I do seem to remember hearing that advise........ somewhere..........Hmmm....

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
highly inflated?

I thought that the vsx-1014 actually passed the "all channels driven" tests with flying colors-- and that's why it was so popular.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Jeremy - I stand corrected, the 1014 has been tested to handle 115x5 with all channels driven. In any case, the Rotel setup I suggested above will put the Pioneer to shame :)

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I find it hard to believe the 1014 is 100 WPC ... I have both this unit and a yamaha RX-V630. The Yamaha appears to have more real world power when used in my system.

Back to your question ... How happy are you with the pioneer for features and sound? If you are happy but want more power ... add a nice amp.

4VTHOKIES

Agent
Real Name
Ted Pugh
I was in the same position as you except I owned the Denon 5805 at the time with B&W 803's, HTM1 and I bought the new McIntosh MC 207 7 channel amp which is rated at 200 watts per channel. This made a huge difference in my system. Everything improved from the bass tightening up to the midrange becoming more open with a dramatically improved soundstage and imaging.

I think if you gave a nice power amp a try you will not be disapointed.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It's possible that the speakers aren't getting enough current. The impedence curves of some B&W speakers are interesting...

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Keep in mind if you can go used that Adcom GFA-555's are widely available for around $300 each. They put out 200 watts per. I have owned many-great amps.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator

I assume this is an inside joke, as I was going to suggest just that. Considering the price point of the 1014, an A500 is a relatively inexpensive addition and will provide a noticeable power increase over the internal amps of the Pio.

A used GFA-555 as Dorian mentioned would also be a pretty solid solution for a bit more money, really any well built two channel amp that will ouput 100wpc or more will noticeably improve the power to your 604s and take a bit of the load off the 1014 which may improve it's power performance to your other speakers... -TD

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
I assumed it was an inside joke Jeremy due to the 'grin :D' icons Seth used and Nomo's reply. I'm pretty familiar w/the A500s, I have two and they hit pretty hard for the money... -TD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks