What's new

New receiver or not (1 Viewer)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
First Post.
I just bought a new set of inifinity IL-60s for my HT which consists of a 61 inch HD TV, Kenwood pre amp, Kenwood reciever and a Kenwood four channel amp for the front and rears.The audio copmponents are a few years old but perform well. The sub is IL-120 and the rears are Bose double cubes with bass module( I know Bose sucks!!! but for the time being its OK for the rears).Is HK-avr8000 better alternative to what I have right now?
Also since the separate amp is only four channels I cannot use the center channel as i bypass the reciever. I have an infinity brand new center channel lying around, hence the question. Will I be better with upgrading to a better receiver and also use the four channel amp i have for the fronts and the rear.
Thanks

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
IIRC, the 8000 is an older 5.1 channel AVR (that has circuitry for 7.1) but would be a vast improvement over your Kenwood unit. Either the 8000 or the newer model 7300 will have enough horsepower to drive your speakers well all by itself. I guess you could use your existing amp to drive the mains and let the AVR handle the rest but doubt there would be a lot of benefit. You might get lucky and fry your Bose cubes with a big HK AVR ;)

Mort

Yogi

Screenwriter

I doubt that would happen because the HK would be putting out clean undistorted power and speakers can take upto 5 times their rated power for typical short durations. You would have better luck frying those Bose speakers with a Bose amp.:D

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Are there any separates I can be better off in this price range. I donot mind used. Please share your views on this.

Jimi C

Screenwriter

Why do you say that?

Exactly how old are your kenwood seperates? Do they support dolby digital and dts? Can we get model numbers?

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
here is what I have
Kenwood cassette deck-KX-W893
Kenwood amp KC-993( which is bypassed)
Kenwood Processor SS-992
Kenwood Power Amp(four channel)993
Kenwood CD palyer DP-R893
Fronts-Infinity Il60
center Infinity IL251c
Rear Bose double cubes with stands and bass module
Sub-Infinity IL120
Let me know if HK-7000 or 8000 will be a vast improvement. I can go with a separate system if you guys advice.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
Girish, ok go here for manuals, they are all there:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/ma...productId=2320

first off, you are using seperates. the KC-993 is your preamp, then because of pre 5.1 days you had 'surround processors' not 'discreet surround processors' which took your 2.0 signal and matrixed it though your ss-992 then your power amp ran most of your speakers. I hope I got this right.

so yes, the HK would give you 5.1 or up in DISCREET channels. the receiver would handle all of your speaker amp needs but you can still use use the 993 if you wanted a bit cleaner sound. basically, if you get an updated receiver, your mouth will drop the first time you watch a movie.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
You got it perfect. I will definitely want to use the 993 amp with the receiver I buy. Apart from HK-7200, HK-7000 which other can I consider. Is getting a slighlty cheaper model like AVR-500 still do the same job since I will be using the amp.
Thanks

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
I would look at the available options you can get with each. figure out what you want and then look at amps and such. I really dont know enough about the new receivers out there.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
yea... that is a stereo processor.. i would definatly upgrade. For ht virtually any new 5.1 avr would be an improvement.

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I just purchased a HK AVR-500. I am still usin the Kenwood amp for the front speakers( although its a four channel amp). When I listen to music in "Surr off" mode the sound is very clear and loud(i love it). But when I put surround on in "theater" mode the sound level drops and the volume of sound from the rear speakers is very low. The rear speakers are hooked to the HK AVR-500 not the amp, so is the center channel. With the previous setup( see above post) I got a lot more sound from my rear speakers. Is this normal with a 5.1 system? Am I better off using the remaining two outputs of my amp for the rears?
I will appreciate the input as I am a total newbie at these.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
you first need to calibrate your system. it makes sure that each speaker plays at the correct levels.

if your kenwood amp has 2 extra channels open, i'd use one for the center and leave the other channel open. If I had a passive sub, I might run the sub though that channel.

Id leave the reas to the HK and dont run them though the kenwood.

PS nobody uses the DSP's ['theater', 'hall', 'stadium' modes] unless its DPL or DLPII

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
buy an SPL meter at radio shaq. then buy an Avia Calibration disk. its pretty easy. the disc sends tones to each speaker and you make sure each speaker is set at the same level. therefore when you watch movies, youll know more or less that all speakers are powered how they should be.

read the beginners primer here at HTF if you havent already. it should tell you alot.

braden

Agent
i am new to this stuff...do you have to have seperate amps to run a HT..i was thinking of the Yamaha 5760 with JBLs around along with a SVS sub,,, would i need anymore power for just HT use 95%

braden

Agent
Other suggestions for a better setup?? Room is 15X45X8 couch sits in about 15-18ft from 65 HDTV.. Budget of 1800.00

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
braden, please dont hijack Girish's thread. but I will answer:

'do you have to have seperate amps to run a HT..i was thinking of the Yamaha 5760 '

no, your yamaha has amplifiers inside that will run all your speakers, except your sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks