What's new

New receiver or a sub?? (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of updating the HT which has remained untouched for the past almost six years. I've gotten a new Panasonic 58" plasma and two new DVD players: a Panny BluRay and an Oppo.

The rest of the system has remained the same. I've got a DD/DTS HK receiver, Audio Refinement 3-channel amp, JMLab front and center speakers and NHT in-ceiling surrounds. I decided against putting in a sub since my fronts (JMLab Electra 920.1) could go down pretty low and the new baby and a sub probably wouldn't mix well.

With the new TV and DVD players, the weak points of my system are the relatively ancient receiver and the lack of a sub. I'm looking at getting an Onkyo 705 receiver and an SVS PC12-Plus sub. The problem is I'm pretty much tapped out due to the TV purchase.

Which upgrade should I prioritize: the sub or the receiver??

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Which BD player did you get? Does the HK receiver have analog in? If so, hopefully you got either the Panny BD35 or Sony 550, since they can both send lossless audio to your receiver via the analog outs.

However, regardless of the BD player/receiver scenario, I'd get a sub first.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
The receiver does have analog in and the BD is a BD35.

Sub it is then.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

Oops, sorry. Meant to put BD55 in my post. Any chance of exchanging the BD35 for the BD55? If you did, you might not need a new receiver at all.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sub first. I wouldn't spend the extra money upgrading to the BD55 anyway, when that money would get you closer to an updated receiver. Analog high res audio is always a second choice to hdmi audio. I would just live with standard audio, keep the BD35 and update the receiver later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks