What's new

New Panny DVD player with Faroudja DCDi & HDMI - MSRP $299.95 (1 Viewer)

BryanM

Auditioning
Well,
If all of this is true and does pan out, I will have a reason to get rid of my XP50 and region free Bravo D1. The only thing holding me back on my fabulous XP50 is the no DVI (or HDMI to which there is an adapter) output. Hope it's true. Panasonic has been flaky with their specs online before. Here's hoping for the best.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
For those like me confused aobut HDMI: http://www.hdmi.org/faq/faq.asp

What do they mean by providing "high quality, uncompressed digital audio/video signal transmission?" This just means nothing is added to the signal such as Macrovision?

edit- ok, dug deeper and it just means HDMI sports over 5GB/sec of bandwidth, meaning it's *possible* for uncompressed material. Uncompressed on a DVD player would only apply to a CD. :p)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
None of these new players have the scaling feature of the RP-91, apparently.

I was hoping for a good cheap 5 disc changer with Faroudja chip like my current CP-72 which I know won't last forever, along with the scaling feature of the RP-91.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm happy with my CP-72 and hope it lasts for quite a while, but it's nice to see an alternative of sorts appear in the market.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Reading the press release more carefully, it looks like only the single disc S-97 has the Faroudja chip. It could be my imagination or just the way some newer dvds are mastered but my CP-72 seems to be doing klunkier layer changes lately.

I originally saw no use for dvd changers but now would not want to go back to a single disc player. It's very convenient to be able to load an entire 4 disc set like the LOTR EEs into the player all at the same time.

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
S97 looks like a good DVD player for the money. Internet price will probably be around mid $200s. I've been looking at DVD players with the Faroudja chip and most are quite pricey. This looks like a solid choice at the price point. I just have to see what kind of video and audio DACs it has.

Brad HP

Agent

Is this known for certain or just a guess (I didn't see any mention of it either way in the press release)? I'm holding out hope that Panasonic will someday provide an updated replacement for the RP-91.

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder which mpeg decoder it uses. If it is the same as the RP91/RP82 then this should be a hell of a deal. Does anyone know if this will output 720p/1080i from the HDMI connector?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, the S97 will have DACs comparable to what the new Denons are using which I think are 12-bit 108mHz or 12-bit 216mHz.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I'll be very interested in the S97 if it has the 4:3 aspect ratio correction for 16:9 TVs that lock on "Full". I have been fairly happy with my Panny RP91 which does show 4:3 correctly on my TV, but I have noticed that it combs on some video material (concerts) and mis-flagged material. It performs superbly on DVD-Audio though, so I hope the S97 will perform similarly in that respect...

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
An updated Panasonic press release now states that the S97 will NOT have the Faroudja de-interlacer - so it will be similar to their other newer cheap player models.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I can't believe someone here is already assuming it will perform like the older cheap models....Lets wait until the player is available before we judge it. :rolleyes

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm not one who will assume it's as bad as the older players, but I have to admit, the odds are for it. The ones that have performed well in the Shootouts are the ones with the Faroudja chip, and the ones without tend to not do as well.

I wonder what the deal is with Panny and Faroudja - are they having trouble coming to terms? This isn't the first time that an upcoming Panny player was announced with the Faroudja chip, and then have it pulled before final spec, IIRC.

David Kyser

Agent

No this is supposed to mean that the DVD-S97
will feed an uncompressed 6 ch DVD-Audio signal thru the HDMI to Pani's new reciever. This is a big deal as the new reciever has the Ti digital amps, meaning for the first time you could listen to uncompresed (not the DTS or 5.1 track)DVD-A that is converted to analog only as it is being amplified.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

I don't think that's right; the current version of HDMI doesn't support 6-ch DVD-Audio yet (will be supported next version). Only carries Dolby Digital AFAIK, maybe 2-channel audio also.

What's uncompressed is the video; HDMI is carrying uncompressed digital video, coming from after the MPEG decoder of the player.

David Kyser

Agent
Actually the reason the new pani reciever isn't due out till august is because they are waiting on HDMI's next revision which will allow the uncompressed DVD-a transfer. I lost the link I had, but that is what panny is telling the press.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I think there's a huge difference between 10bit/54mhz and 13-bit/108mhz of my Philips 963, to answer the question earlier in the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks