What's new

New Order Fans: new box-set? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
not sure if there are any new order fans here, but i've been listening to the webcast at http://www.woxy.com
now i gotta have that...
does anyone have any info on this? i checked their site neworderweb with no luck.
tia
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
i haven't heard about this, but I am with you......MUST HAVE IT!! Do you own the new album yet? i do, I paid $25 last month and got the english import, I am such a sucker.

JasonD

Agent
Speaking of New Order Boxsets, do you guys know about a soon-to-be-released boxset of Dead Can Dance? Check out 4AD's website for more info if interested.
I really like my Joy Division boxset! Tons of rare stuff. Highly recommended.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Ted, with respect, are you sure you're not confusing this with the oft-rumoured boxed set of New Order singles? This has been promoted for years (and indeed at one stage the artwork, packaging, etc, were prepared), but has never seen the light of day.
With regard to the Joy Division boxed set, it is indeed excellent. In case you haven't noticed them yet, there are also two live concerts now (legally) available - one from Paris and the other from Preston [an industrial town in tne North-West of England] (the latter turns into a near-riot).

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
(btw - thanks to whoever posted this station on another thread - i LOVE this station)
You're welcome.
biggrin.gif

The 97X site has a Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Ted, with respect, are you sure you're not confusing this with the oft-rumoured boxed set of New Order singles?
hey andrew...i suppose it's possible, but i don't think so. the station specifically said this is some sort of new release not available to the public. i've heard the promo at least 5 or 6 times so i'm pretty sure about it...but then again i wouldn't bet your paycheck on it either.
jason: dead can dance are also totally awesome. i'm sure you must also know about 'this mortal coil' then. they also kick ass and must be my number one melancholy-mood music.
kelly: glad to know i'm not the only hardcore fan. i've been listening to these guys for as long as i can remmber. i'm pickin up this album this tuesday when it's released out here. i can't wait. what's your opinion of it?
david: thanks for that info. i'm completely diggin' that station. i'll check out the thinktank!
thanks again guys!
ttys :)
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well...i just checked the woxy site and here's a direct quote from their home page:
New Order's new CD, Get Ready, doesn't hit store shelves until Tuesday. But you don't have to be one of those poor schmucks waiting for Tuesday because this weekend 97X is giving you the chance to win it before you can buy it. We'll even throw in the limited-edition, not-available-in-stores New Order retrospective, 20 Years of New Order, and get you registered to win the new 4 CD box set from Joy Division.
guess i'm gonna have to check on monday and see if i can win this online...somehow. if anyone else has info that would be great.
i'm obsessed now...
biggrin.gif

------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a promo 'greatest hits' package (I've a similar one for Elton John's 50th birthday). 'Get Ready' has been out in the UK for some time now - IMHO, it's okay, but not vintage. I'm intrigued by the Joy Division box set - are they referring to the 'Heart and Soul' boxed set or a brand new one?
[Edited last by andrew markworthy on October 15, 2001 at 01:37 AM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Sounds like they are indeed talking about the wonderful 'Heart & Soul' box. What else would you want to put in a Joy Division box anyway, other than the recently released live material?
As for a NewOrder box, I keep hearing rumours about them trying to put together an equivalent to 'Heart & Soul', but I don't think this is it.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've just checked an excellent site on Joy Division:
http://members.aol.com/lwtua/joydiv.htm#123
and there's no mention of a new boxed set (the only thing vaguely fitting the bill is the Preston and Paris concerts coupled together in a box set).
Indeed, Iain, I doubt if there's enough material for a 4 CD set unless they appropriated bootleg recordings. The only 'officially recorded' material which hasn't been released are the Pennine Studios and RCA studios demos (recorded as 'Warsaw'), a few more studio demos of individual songs, plus a few radio and TV appearances. Having said that, the Pennine and RCA recordings were released as a CD called 'Warsaw' which was widely available in 'normal' stores a couple of years ago, but which doesn't seem to be available any more. So, without appropriating poor quality bootleg recordings and releasing them officially (a la ELP and the rest) then the cupboard is pretty much bare.

Jason_H

Second Unit
On the topic of New Order, I just recently picked up the "New Order 3 16" DVD that was released in Europe and Australia (I have a Malata player that does PAL->NTSC conversion). It includes a concert they did way back in 1981 in New York and of course their big comeback gig a few years back at the Reading Festival in 1998. It also has a great interview that was done recently.
The New York gig looks very good considering its age and is very intense. The Reading gig looks FANTASTIC...I cannot stress how good it looks and sounds...I was worried about PAL->NTSC conversion artifacts (there is a bit on the New York portion), but the Reading portion looks far better than most NTSC DVDs I own. I cannot get over the image and sound quality. I watch it on the Toshiba 56H80 RPTV for the record.
Two BIG thumbs up for this DVD, get it if at all possible. And order it from Australia to save money, it's the exact same version at the UK one. And I will definately be buying the new album tomorrow.
Oh, and for the people saying they buy import albums...try www.amazon.co.uk ...they are much, much cheaper than buying from your local Tower or whatever. I have bought thousands of dollars worth of UK music over the internet directly from UK sites in the past five years and saved a lot of money.
[Edited last by Jason_H on October 15, 2001 at 11:11 AM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
316 is rather nice, isn't it. Its not that surprising the sound is pretty good; its uncompressed PCM! Oh how I wish they would use that more often.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all - fyi...
i just went to the woxy site and registered to win the box sets...i guess they have another set or something.
figured i had nothing to lose.
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I think the new album is alright, I think its worth owning just for the first single! Not as good as some of their older albums, which I will admit I was hoping they would come out sounding like.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Good to know there's a Joy Division fan base on the HTF.... no one could do gloom and angst like Ian Curtis. (And yeh, I love that Heart and Soul set, too!!)
------------------
Mark K. Lee
"Life is like a sewer -- what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
- Tom Lehrer

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
20 years of new order is a new promo cd for the u.s. markets. it's cool and you can find one on ebay.
heart and soul was just released here stateside, licensed to rhino i think - i do not own it as i've had the lovely london records box since it was released.
arthur baker has a 2-cd set out 'breakin' that includes his 2 electro anthems: planet rock and confusion (he produced)
- confusion is the original 12" mix (8.02)!
the box set has been rumoured for ages and is hopefully having all of the tracks and b-sides re-mastered now by london. the factory bankruptcy publishing issues have been cleared up, so that's one less obstacle in the way..!
a
------------------
visit neverville

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I think the new album is alright, I think its worth owning just for the first single! Not as good as some of their older albums, which I will admit I was hoping they would come out sounding like.
so far i'm diggin' it. i haven't listened to it all the way through yet...probably up to the 5th or 6th track. i definitely like it better than 'republic'. i guess it's hard to not want it to sound like their older stuff, because it's so cool...but i respect their intent to try to do something a little different.
i do like how the guitar "twang" stands-out more on this album...i think it's a nice touch.
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Alex, can you confirm that for me? Confusion is the original 12" mix, not the one with re-recorded vocals that first appeared on Substance and is always used now? I've still got my 12" vinyl of it, but a 'proper' CD version (rather than a home recorded copy) would be nice.

JasonD

Agent
I like the new album as well. Song 2 is my favorite on the whole album. As a whole, the songs still maintain the "new order-esque" sound. I also like Barney's accoustic song towards the end of the cd. Did you know that a film about the "Factory Years" and the scene in general is coming out soon? It's been mentioned on this forum once before but I forgot the name of the film. Something like "24 Hour Party" I think. Not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks