1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

new or refurbished

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ChuckM, May 29, 2003.

1. ChuckM

ChuckM Well-Known Member

I've decided to get a onkyo HT-S650. Now my only problem is deciding to get a refurbished one with 2 year warranty for $380 or getting a new one with a one year limited warranty for $500-$560. Is the fefurbished a better deal or is there usally a lot of defects with refurbished items. I would be greatful for any advice you guys can give.
    TIA!!

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Premium
    Supporter

Carl III
    At those prices I would go refurbished. Even in the unlikely event that the refurb dies a prematurely the $180 you saved will go a long way toward replacing it.

3. Jeremy Tebo

Jeremy Tebo Well-Known Member

Refurb should be fine. I bought the speakers from that set refurbed from Onkyo, and they sound great for the $.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Well-Known Member

that's a pretty significant price difference. i'd probably do the refurb too. if the price was closer, then i'd be more hard-pressed to make the choice.

the idea with refurbs is that they're actually a better decision since the unit went back, was "individually" checked out (versus random QA sampling) then packaged back up and sold for a discount.

i think the refurb will work out well for you. just think what dvd's you could buy with the money you'll save. [​IMG]

5. RickMo

RickMo Well-Known Member

I agree with Ted (pretty hot in Sacto, huh? I'm up in Truckee). I've had very good luck with refurbs in general, from cordless phones to scanners. As a matter of fact, I sometimes search for the refurbs first.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Well-Known Member

hey rickmo - howdy to a local boy! yep! this weather is killin' me! [​IMG]