What's new

*New* "One Day" Movies Tournament (1 Viewer)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I'll nominate:

Arsenic and Old Lace
Pulp Fiction (is it all one day?)
Quick Change

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure Pulp Fiction isn't all one day, at least it's not clearly apparent. I was under the impression that the events of the Golden Watch episode happened some time after the events of Vincent Vega and Marcellus Wallace's Wife and The Bonnie Situation.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you're right about Pulp Fiction. On the bright side, that means I get another nomination. Hmmmmm.....

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Angelo, you get another because george had already nominated 12 Angry Men.

Gabe, you get another because of Pulp Fiction.

Ric, you switched Halloween 4: The Return of Mike Myers for Mother's Day, and I only noticed it by accident. I'll change it, but usually, I don't see edits because edits don't come to me in e-mail the way original posts do.

Several people haven't used all their nominations. I'll give it a day more. If we get 9 more (after Gabe and Angelo have picked) we can just go ahead and start the tourney. There's no rule that says you have to have 2nds and 3rds, is there?

The list so far:

12 Angry Men
After Hours
Airplane!
Alien
American Graffiti
Arsenic and Old Lace
Before Sunrise
Bicycle Thief, The
Breakfast Club, The
Can't Hardly Wait
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
Christmas In July
Clerks
Cube
Dazed and Confused
Deep Rising
Die Hard
Die Hard 2: Die Harder
Do The Right Thing
Dog Day Afternoon
Dr. Strangelove
Escape From New York
Evil Dead, The
Fail-Safe
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Friday the 13th
Go
Halloween
Halloween 2
Hard Day's Night, A
High Noon
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
It's A Wonderful Life
Lady Vanishes, The
Mother's Day
My Dinner With Andre
Night of the Living Dead
Odd Man Out
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Playtime
Quick Change
Rope
Run Lola Run
Scrooged
Sorry, Wrong Number
Speed
Taking of Pelham, One, Two, Three, The
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The
Thing, The
Total Recall
Trouble With Harry, The
Waking Life
What's Up Doc?
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well quite a few of these don't technically take place all in one day, even though the primary action is a single day. If that's the criteria I'd like to suggest (since I've used up all my nominations) Groundhog Day, which is just as much a one day movie as some of these. :)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Uh, Vicki, I'm a little embarrassed, but one film I named, (Mother's Day) actually takes place over a weekend and not a day, so with your kind permission I'd like to withdraw my nomination of it.:b :b My new nomination is:
Three O'Clock High

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Would The Usual Suspects count? Essentially, it's all a flashback (or is it? he, he, he...) and Verbal takes much less than a day to tell the story.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I think I'm out of noms, so I'd like to suggest The Party; directed by Blake Edwards and starring Peter Sellers. Most of the action takes place during a ritzy party for the Hollywood set. I just saw this for the first time. :emoji_thumbsup: Freakin' hilarious!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Ah, 3 more noms, why not.

Angelo, I'm so easy you wouldn't believe it, but The Usual Suspects does seem to be pushing it a bit. I say uh...it's hard to say with some of these. I said yes to It's a Wonderful Life. Ack! This isn't my tourney, and I don't, to be honest, you know, actually, really, basically, fer sure, don't give too much of a damn, and don't know all the nominees well enough to be the mighty overlord.

Ok, I will say...

Um

Well

Er

No to The Usual Suspects.

To be fair, no also to It's a Wonderful Life. Sorry, I'm a dirty bird.

If any other titles are giving people problems, bring it up and tell me exactly why it shouldn't be considered a one day movie, because I may not have seen it.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Dial M for Murder (too much Hitchcock already, perhaps?)
Glengarry Glen Ross
You Can't Take It With You

Been a while since I've seen YCTIWY, but I'm pretty sure it's all one day. If not, I nominate Roman Holiday.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Vickie:
I have no problem with excluding The Usual Suspects; there is a sense, however, in which the film occurs in a single day, but it doesn't really have the 'feel' of a one-day film (whatever that is!).
Chuck:
Are you certain that Glengarry takes place in a single day? I thought it took place over two days. I'm fairly certain the action begins at night and extends into another day (during which they discovered that they've been robbed). However, speaking of David Mamet, I think the film version of American Buffalo does take place in a single day. If so, I'd nominate it.
--AM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks