What's new

New Nikon D300 or used D200? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I agree, glass is always golden and upgrading the camera itself isnt as important, but IMO the half life of a DSLR is about 1 year now. After 1 year the upgrades might be tempting but most will pass. By two years you are itching and 3 years you are really ready for the next one.

I love my 20D, the 30D was a sucky upgrade but the 40D is a monster upgrade. If I had never seen the specs of the D300 and especially the D3 I probably would have bought a 40D as a second body (permanently mounting the 60 Macro to the 20D) and replaced the 20D completely when the replacement to the 5D rolls around. Now however I'm sticking with the 20D solo and waiting till probably spring to see whats in the 5dmk2 or whatever they call it. It's going to have to really impress.

If I didnt have anything right now, I'd start with a D300 and an 18-200VR and probably be like a pig in mud. Assuming there are no major show stoppers with the D300 in the initial reviews.

I'd be really careful about that, on the wrong camera the EF-S lenses can jam your mirror box I'm told.

Sam

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I think Rob was referring to a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 lens on a Nikon film body, not a Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens. You are correct regarding Canon EF-S lenses on dSLR full frame or film bodies, though. The lens back sticks too far into the body, so the mirror will hit the lens back.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm still drooling over the D3, I think it's going to be a real milestone camera. If you are following this camera closely as I am you might want to check this page:

http://www.nikond3news.com/

Of course, _IF_ it turns out to be all that and a bag of chips I'd have to have an extra car payment to afford it and the nikon glass to feed it =) So just a pipe dream, but as they say in Wayne's World: Oh yes, one day it will be mine!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Haha. I can't afford that D3 pipe dream either. Well, I do plan to check out the PhotoPlus Expo here in NYC next month and hope to get my hands on the D3 just to see. FF for me will have to wait until Nikon decides to bring it down to the semi-pro level ala the future D500 or whatever.

In the meantime, I need to pay for all them violin/viola lessons for the family (along w/ the lovely instruments). :D

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... The D300 offering looks sweeter all the time. Nikon very recently announced that they'll (finally) include their Capture NX software w/ that camera (as well as the D3).

And for anyone interested, they also just announced a new version of their 18-55DX kit lens featuring AFS and VR. If the IQ is equal or better than my old 18-70DX, particularly at the wider end, I might have to get it to replace that widezoom. :D

_Man_

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I dunno, that lens looks like a $200 cheapy to me sir. And capture NX is no good to me, I'm 100% moved to lightroom. But I WILL have a D300 sometime soon =) Reviews are just tremendous so far.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
People are getting the D300s and D3s now, and the reviews have been EXTREMELY strong. Looks like two home runs for Nikon, hopefully Canon gets off their ass and gets the 5D replacement out for PMA08 in January. So far I've held off on the D300 as I refuse to pay full retail, but the Jellyfish.com and Military.com discount adds up to about 15% off and my resistance is weakening. Not really up for putting $2500 on a credit card at this time, I've basically lived credit free outside a small balance card just to keep it active, but this is tempting =)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I will be the proud owner of a D300 in a couple hours, I can post sample shots if you guys like, or any other info you need that I can provide, I'd be happy. My D200 was a great camera, I can't wait!

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks