What's new

New MRS. DOUBTFIRE edition (1 Viewer)

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
That's just an announcement, though. I really don't want to buy it based on the slipcover and keepcase info. It just says widescreen 2.35:1 - not anamorphic as Fox always states on their discs. The bonus features listed are quite vague as well...

My FYE has an extra copy on sale for $16.99+tax

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Tough call. I just looked at the scan of the back cover. I can see your dilemma. But considering how only a few copies of this release slipped through the cracks before Fox put the kibosh on it, I'd say it's worth the gamble. Only my opinion though.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I managed to procure a copy of the "Behind-the-Seams" edition of Mrs. Doubtfire from a local Suncoast earlier this week. I'm watching it on my computer as I type this, and I can confirm that it is indeed anamorphic widescreen. I've included a screenshot as proof, in the DVD's native dimensions of 720:480. Note that it's a compressed JPEG, so it doesn't represent the actual image quality. Otherwise, this image is exactly as it appears on the disc.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Okay, I got a copy of this set from FYE, and it appears that perhaps it hasn't seeen a wide release because many features that were listed on the press release are not on the actual discs. Maybe Chris Columbus wanted his commentary restored, or Robin Williams' new commentary was accidentally left off. Hmmm.... Maybe this will be "released" again later with these features added. As it is, here is the press release with notations showing what is NOT on the set.

Disc 1: Main Feature
* 2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
* English DD5.1 & DTS 5.1 Surround [DTS not included]
* French & Spanish Dolby Surround
* Spanish subtitles
* Commentary by Robin Williams & Marsha Garces Williams [NOT INCLUDED]
* Commentary by Director Chris Columbus (from 1st release) [NOT INCLUDED]
* Over 30-mins of Deleted/Extended Scenes

Disc 2: Extra Features
Production Studio
- From Man to Mrs: The Evolution of Mrs. Doubtfire
- Behind the Scenes Photo Gallery
- Gag/Blooper Reel [NOT INCLUDED]
- Aging Gracefully: A Look Back at Mrs. Doubtfire [INCLUDED BUT NOT ON PRESS RELEASE]
Animation Studio
- A Conversation with legendary animator Chuck Jones
- Original Pencil Test
- Final Animation Sequence
- Final Animation Sequence with Alternate Backgrounds
Makeup Department
- Makeup application with Ve Neill
- Makeup Photo Gallery
- 5 Makeup Tests
Stage A (Improv)
- The Improvisation of Mrs. Doubtfire
Publicity
- Original Featurette (1993)
- Meet Mrs. Doubtfire (Robin Williams/Mrs. Doubtfire Interview)
- Theatrical Trailers
- 4 TV Spots
- Theatrical Posters
- Photo Gallery

Here are some menu screen captures:

Does the framing here look a bit tight? I don't have the LD or previous DVD to compare anymore.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Looks great!

And it seems like they put a lot of work in here, so to not relase it...

Hopefully its getting some fixups and will be out soon enough.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm hoping the same. I'm wanting this more now than ever. I can't see them putting that much work into it only to permanently shelve it. As Brandon said, it's probably just getting tweaked, perhaps a glaring omission or something. But looking at the menu shots and screencap, it looks too damn good to just obliterate it.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
All of the deleted scenes on disc 1 were remastered in anamorphic widescreen also, and some additional scenes not on the LD and previous DVD are also included (though they suck pretty badly). The alternate scenes are 4:3 widescreen, but some of those are also new to this release.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i found one at fye today. on sale for 17.99.

just for a curiosity piece i guess.
i'll probably get re-released either with new packaging or with the missing features.

this is what happened with fish called wanda, or was that just a studio change?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping the reason this was pulled last minute is to put back the DTS and commentary tracks.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Watched my copy last night, was in fact anamorphic. Got it courtesy of your friendly neighborhood HTF'er. Good quality. No Audio commentaryTracks, will have to see if they finally re-release the re-release, if that changes, and if there will be an upgrade path for those who got this version. Do want to watch the deleted/extended scenes and spin the extra features.

Word omission above corrected.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, that sucks - it's the silent movie version? :laugh:

I know you meant "no audio commentaries", but that line did briefly make me think the DVD came without sound...

John Gido

Second Unit

Wow. My FYE must really be rip-off artists. :angry:

Found a copy yesterday (they had 2) and bought it for $21.99! Knowing how scarce these DVDs seem to be, I probably shouldn't complain too much. :frowning:

Kevin Linke

Agent
If anyone can find a copy to sell to me, I'd like to talk. I went to my local stores and couldn't find it anywhere. Let me know, when this was originally announced, I was stoked, but it angers me that they do this for some great films.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

I'd hold off (and I am). Surely this will be released in the near future with the previously-announced extras.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I wouldn't be too sure about that. "That Thing You Do" had an audio commentary listed in the press release... nowhere to be found on the DVD. So it wouldn't be a Fox-first.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
There is one on ebay for a BIN of $240 bucks, so this better see a proper release because I won't pay anything ever close to that for it.....

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I found another couple of copies at the local FYE. I've already offered one of them to Kevin, but the other is up for grabs. If anyone is having trouble finding this DVD, PM me and I'll hook you up.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
I'd love to get that extra copy, but I'm kinda stuck on what to do here. Do I get this or wait to see if it gets released again with the missing DTS, Commentaries and Gag Reel or any of the above?

The fact that this actually made it out at all makes me think it was some sort of last minute thing they noticed and wanted to go back in and fix it. Because its not like it was abandoned all together, they did start production on it and some copys were shipped to retail. Gotta just be a delay.....aaaah, I dunno what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks