What's new

New Monster Legacy Sets (1 Viewer)

ElAhrai

Stunt Coordinator
That's a shame.

But I'll bet that Bob Burns should be fun to listen to, his book was a hoot.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
quote:I'm keeping the original disc too, but that's because I was lucky enough to get Ben Chapman and Julie Adams to autograph it.

I'm bumping this thread to ask this question again. How'd you manage to get those autographs, ElAhrai?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I just picked up the Mummy DVD.

I love the design of the gill man, and even had an Aurora model of him as a kid, but dang, that movie is slow and kind of ponderous. As for the sequels...eh.

I love the original Invisible Man movie, but the sequels are pretty lame IMHO. So, that's a pass, too.

My existing copies of Creature and Invisible Man are good enough for now.

Of course, if there had been a three-DVD box set with mini-busts, I'd have purchased all three, but lacking that, I only went for the Mummy.

Just IMHO, of course.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I have yet to pick up any of these sets
frown.gif
But I want to, I'm definately picking up Frankenstein and Dracula since I've seen those two and love them. But The others I'm not sure about, I hear mummy isn't that good
frown.gif

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i really enjoy the invisible man films (at least the fist two and the Invisible Woman...though not as much as i always expect to, given the presence of John Barrymore- haven't seen the last two films yet).

Revenge of the Creature i like better than the first film, primarily for the glimpses of South Fla in the 50s.

one thig that really annoys me about the first film is the score and the duh duh DUUUUHHHHH theme every two minutes.

very tedious and grating to me.

apart from the first Mummy film and the Mummys Hand, all the sequels blur into one for me.

i already own the first single disc and don't have a burning desire to see hand again anytimne soon, so even with the set bargin priced at BB this week ($16), i don't feel much pull to pick it up.

now that these have come out, i'll be looking forward to a release of the 50s sci-fi films.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
oh...and even though this is old news- i just recently picked up the Frankenstein legacy soley on the basis of the word that BOF looks better, and damned if that wasn't the truth.

very happy to finally have a beautiful looking copy of that one.

the image looks exactly the way i expected it to look the first time i bought it.

oh well, better late than never.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Have any improvements been made to the sound on the first Mummy? The sound on the earlier DVD was really muffled....

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
quote:I hear mummy isn't that good

The original MUMMY is a very slow and moody film, but I consider it one of the best of the classic horror films. Karloff's performance is one of his best, and director Karl Freund really makes great use of the camera. The sequels are all good fun, though they are definitely more in the "B" monster genre than the very poetic original film.

I didn't notice any major improvement in the sound of THE MUMMY from the last disc, but the picture seems to be crisper, with better contrast. I also watched THE INVISIBLE MAN last night. The print used still suffers from some damage, but the transfer is definitely improved. It has a crisper, much more filmlike picture than before.

Haven't gotten around to the CREATURE set yet. I'm actually looking more forward to watching the sequels, which I haven't seen since they were shown on Saturday afternoon in the early eighties. I've definitely had my fill of the original over the years; good film, but overexposed.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm actually holding off on the Mummy set at this point... I grabbed the other two for the sequels and new commentaries, but the Mummy set doesn't feature anything new. If the transfer/sound on the first film hasn't been significantly improved, then I don't really need it. Of course, that completist voice in my head is whispering something different...
biggrin.gif

Now then! What can we expect next? I'm thinking maybe single-disc/single-film releases (PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, etc)....

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Went ahead and got the Mummy and Invisisble Man Sets, thinking about the Creature. By the way, a bit of trivia, but I believe that Revenge of the Creature was the film debut of Clint Eastwood.

Only got the Frankenstein set from the last wave. I still have the '99 disc of Dracula(actually the only one from that wave that I bought), and until Universal corrects the audio on the Legacy set, I don't think I'll get it. The '99 disc is missing a short cue of music; annoying, but on the Legacy set, the entire soundtrack is supposedly an unrestored version, missing some ambient sounds and a few censorship deletions (Dracula's moans, Renfield's screams, etc.). It probably doesn't amount to much that's missing, but as I said in another thread, you almost have to try to make a mistake like that. Does anyone know if Universal is even aware of this?

At any rate, other than that, these sets are pretty nice, and a pretty good way to collect the '30s and '40s Universal horror line. I'm glad to finally have The Mummy, which IMO, had one of the best character freak-outs in film history:

"...He--he..heee...he-he went for a little walk.......You should have seen his face...a-haa-hahahahahaha-aaaaaaaa-hahahahahahahahhahahaha......"

That cracks me up every time. :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
quote:I still have the '99 disc of Dracula(actually the only one from that wave that I bought), and until Universal corrects the audio on the Legacy set, I don't think I'll get it. The '99 disc is missing a short cue of music; annoying, but on the Legacy set, the entire soundtrack is supposedly an unrestored version, missing some ambient sounds and a few censorship deletions (Dracula's moans, Renfield's screams, etc.). It probably doesn't amount to much that's missing, but as I said in another thread, you almost have to try to make a mistake like that. Does anyone know if Universal is even aware of this?

One disc has the groans and screams, but is missing the music cue at the Opera scene fadeout.... The other disc has the music cue at the Opera, but is missing the groans/screams!

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Have the Mummy and Frankenstein sets but need the rest. Hope they arent Limited. Dont think they are though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks