1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Line Press Release: BLADE II with new Release Date

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THE HUNT BEGINS AGAIN!

“Pure action, bloody well done!” Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“Pulse-pounding!” Elvis Mitchell, New York Times

BLADE II
    WESLEY SNIPES RETURNS AS THE SUPERHERO BLADE IN THE
    ALL-GUNS-BLAZING, ALL-SWORDS-SLASHING ACTION EXTRAVAGANZA COMING TO DOUBLE-DISC PLATINUM SERIES DVD & VHS
    SEPTEMBER 3 FROM NEW LINE HOME ENTERTAINMENT

LOS ANGELES, CA (June 3, 2002) -- Half vampire, half human, all hero -- Blade is back on the street and looking for vengeance in Blade II, coming to a double-disc Platinum Series DVD and VHS September 3 from New Line Home Entertainment. Blade II will be available to rent or to own on VHS and Platinum Series DVD,
    with suggested retail prices of $22.94 for the VHS and $29.95 for the double-disc Platinum Series DVD.

The over $80 million box-office hit Blade II stars Wesley Snipes in the role of the vampire hunter Blade, the half-vampire “day-walker” superhero who lives to kill the undead. Snipes, himself a practicing martial artist, has built a loyal following of action fans with hits like Passenger 57, Demolition Man, Rising Sun, Money Train, U.S. Marshals and The Art of War. The first Blade film, based on the Marvel Comics superhero, was a blockbuster hit grossing more than $70 million during its theatrical release in August 1998, and the VHS and Platinum Series DVD of Blade have gone on to sell more than 3.5 million units since release.

In addition to Snipes, Blade II stars Kris Kristofferson (Planet of the Apes), returning as Blade’s mentor Whistler; Norman Reedus (Gossip, Deuces Wild); Luke Goss; Leonor Varela (Cleopatra, The Tailor of Panama); Ron Perlman (Enemy at the Gates, Star Trek: Nemesis) and Donnie Yen (Iron Monkey, Shanghai Knights). Already a star in Hong Kong martial arts films, Yen was also enlisted by Blade II’s director, Guillermo Del Toro (Mimic, The Devil’s Backbone), to help choreograph the predominantly wire-free fighting in the film.

Blade II was written by David S. Goyer (Blade, Dark City), based on characters created by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, with Gabriel Beristain serving as cinematographer. The ground-breaking soundtrack brings together hip-hop and techno artists such as Eve with Fatboy Slim, and Ice Cube with Paul Oakenfold, for exciting collaborations, and has sold over 170,000 units since its release on March 19.

Two DVDs Packed with Extras
    Bonus Features on Disc 1:
    •Commentary track with director Guillermo Del Toro and writer David Goyer
    •Commentary track with producer Peter Frankfurt and Wesley Snipes
    •Isolated score
    •16X9 Widescreen (1.85:1)
    •Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound – English
    •DTS surround sound - English
    •Stereo surround sound – English
    •English subtitles and closed captions
    •Animated menus

Bonus Features on Disc 2: (Approximately three hours of video material!)
    •Production Workshop:
    oDirector’s Notebook: Interactive reproduction of director’s notes with an intro by Del Toro
    oA Pact in Blood: Interactive collection of original documentaries -- various docs on production, story and other subjects
    oArt gallery
    •Original theatrical press kit
    •Deleted/alternate scenes
    •Blade II video game survival guide
    •Music video: Cypress Hill and Roni Size “Child of the Wild West”
    •Theatrical trailers

DVD-ROM Content
    •Script-to-Screen
    •Original Website

The Blade II VHS edition will also feature the bonus Cypress Hill/Roni Size “Child of the Wild West” music video from Immortal Records. The packaging will be stickered to call out this added feature.
    Blade II Synopsis
    When the world is threatened by a new and deadlier breed of super vampire, the legendary Blade (Snipes) and his mentor Whistler (Kristofferson) must join forces with the Bloodpack, an elite team of vampire warriors made up of Blade’s sworn enemies. These ravenous fiends must be destroyed at all costs in this high-voltage adventure exploding with spectacular effects and martial arts action.

BLADE II Basics
    TITLEFORMATSRP
    BLADE II (English)VHS$22.94
    BLADE II (Spanish)VHS$22.94
    BLADE II (Platinum DVD – 2-disc)DVD$29.95

MPAA RATING: Rated R for strong pervasive violence, language, some drug use and sexual content

TRT:117 minutes

2. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Well-Known Member

Here's the box art, courtesty of IGN:
    [​IMG]
    Looks sweet, I'm glad they stuck with something resembling the original poster art. The reaper sillouhette (sp?) rules ass.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Well-Known Member

Definitely a purchase for me!

I was hoping for a Infinifilm release with DD-EX...but I can dream.

Troy

4. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Well-Known Member

Surprised. The case is a keepcase for a Platinum edition. New Line was only using keepcases for Infinifilm and snappers for everything else. Must be because it is two discs!

5. Richard cash

Richard cash Well-Known Member

i am very happy it has a dts soundtrack. The other extras look good too. I cant wait to see the deleted scenes.

6. Marc_E

Marc_E Well-Known Member

I am happy about DTS too. This is soooo bought it is not even funny..Looks great, sounds great. New line Plat does it again.
    Marc_E

7. Blu

Blu Well-Known Member

I am wondering if they will release a 2 movie package with the first Blade and the sequel sold together.

8. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Well-Known Member

This is truly everything I hoped it would be. My number one requested DVD for this year so far. They were pretty damn smart picking September, as it's a dead month for releases and they can get several weeks of momentum.

Matt

9. JamesCS

JamesCS Well-Known Member

[Reading out-loud through Ron's post]..."let's see here, commentary track commentary track, OK, isolated score, good, Ah Ha! Here it is! 16X9 Widescreen (1.85:1). Excellent! I'm definitely picking this one up on release day."
    Sorry folks, been traumatized with all the Pan&Scan nonsense going around lately. Seriously though, this is a thrilling action movie with outstanding DVD specs. I nominate it for the no-brainer-DVD-purchase-of-the-year award. [​IMG]

10. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Well-Known Member

11. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Well-Known Member

/rant on

Ugh, why do they muck up great looking cover art with a reviewer's quote...even if it is Ebert? Get the quotes to the back I say...or leave them off. Blade II holds its own,it doesn't require help from a quote.

/rant off

12. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Well-Known Member

Joseph E Fisher
  13. Ken Bentley

Ken Bentley Well-Known Member

i cant wait for the release.. and its keep case,two disc set plus nice extras... i must say new line has done very good this time round. i hope maybe they will re-release blade someday with a keepcase/ two disc set..

14. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Well-Known Member

15. Chris M

Chris M Well-Known Member

From DVD File:

16. Chris M

Chris M Well-Known Member

The Digital Bits posted an update on this, and have confirmed that it was "moved" ahead to the 20th. Interesting [​IMG]
    Chris.

17. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Well-Known Member

This is so mine the date it comes out. This movie kicked sooooo much ass it isnt even funny. I remember in the theater I saw it at my friend and I who are all about reference soundtracks for HT were blown away by this film. The second thing we said after leaving the theater(after the obligatory "HELL YEAH") was that this is gonig to be one amazing sounding DVD. The sound when I saw it was bowels threatening.
    CANNOT WAIT! New Line is going to rule this august...Lord of the Rings and Blade II...hell yeah!
    If only Blade II were DD EX and DTS ES.

18. greg_t

greg_t Well-Known Member

Same thing here Sean, I walked out of the theater knowing this was a must buy. This baby will be awesome in DTS. Now if they could only move it up another 2 or 3 weeks.

19. Sean Moon

At the rate they keep moving this up, it may as well come out same day as LOTR and Simpsons...making me broke.[​IMG]

20. Sean Moon

Go to www.ign.com on their DVD section. They have a menu grab and the back box art. It looks like this will have a DD EX and DTS ES track after all! BOOYA!