1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

new laptop purchase help needed....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Allan, Jan 23, 2007.

1. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    If you end up getting a computer with Vista on it, you'll want 2GB of RAM (I use 2GB on this XP notebook as well). That said, I usually recommend buying the minimum RAM you can get and purchasing the sticks you need from crucial.com, as computer makers always severely overcharge on RAM (assuming you feel comfortable enough to change out RAM, which is pretty easy on most notebooks).

I'm typing this from my Dell Inspiron E1705 w/ 2GB RAM running XP. It can do anything but run heavy duty games smoothly.

2. xiaxie88

xiaxie88 Auditioning

Not any more. Lenovo quality is going down.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Allan:

What size screen do you want since this laptop usually stays in one place? I would go with at least a dual core processors, 2G of RAM and add additional later, a good size HD like 340G.

Here are a few suggestions to look over

Amazon.com: Toshiba Satellite A305-S6908 15.4-Inch Laptop: Electronics

Amazon.com: HP Pavilion G60-230US 16.0-Inch Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 Processor, 3 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Vista Premium): Electronics

Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV6-1030US 16.0-Inch Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 Processor, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB Hard Drive, DVD Drive, Vista Premium): Electronics

Amazon.com: Toshiba Satellite A355-S6925 16.0-Inch Laptop: Electronics

16 inch models are new additions over the traditional 15.4 and 17 inch. I would go to Best Buy or some place like that and see what size screen you like and then go from there. I personally would just get a new machine as it will do more for you in the future if you decide to add any type of peripheral to it later.