What's new

New Joss Whedon show announced: Dollhouse (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm all for it.
At least seven episodes has been committed.

I will definitely give it a chance

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep, I'll give it a chance. If nothing else, for Whedon's dialog alone.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i'll give it a chance, though typically Whedon shows suck till about episode 8. *crosses fingers* :P

Chris

Senior HTF Member

I hope in jest ;) Every ep of "Firefly" I thought was pretty good. If this is up to that level, it's worth it ;)

But, then again, with a writer strike pending, I'll be lucky to watch anything.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Yeah, the writers strike could be a problem for most shows. But, I wonder how it would work when the creator/director/producer of the show IS a writer. Do you think he would honor the strike and shut down his own show? Or, do you think he would bang out a script himself and claim he wrote it last month (before the strike) if anyone asked?

As for FOX network? I can't imagine why Josh was willing to deal with them again. I can only hope that they have some kind of agreement to show the episodes on order.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Same reason Minear keeps coming back - they're the guys that will pay for expensive high-concept shows. The thing a lot of people forget about the TV business is that a lot of attrition happens at the pilot stage, and Fox is your best chance of getting past that hurdle.

Plus, Eliza Dushku was a deal with Fox. If you want to work with her, you work with Fox.

Anyway, I dig the concept even if I do wonder how far it extends past that initial seven-episode story. Still, I imagine the roles of the "dolls" will be an actor's dream - they get to potentially play a new character every week while still having the (relative) security of a TV job. It'll be fun and challenging for them and the writers to try to build strong continuing characters out of that kind of discontinuity.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Agreed. There are so many ways to take this concept.
1) Do we focus more on the week to week plot of the different characters Echo becomes (ala "Quantum Leap")?
2) Or do we try to find out who she really is/was?
Perhaps they wiped her mind so she could be uploaded with new identities, but the "real" Echo is still on a hard-drive somewhere. If so, which identity is really her? Does it matter? Or perhaps her identity has been loaded into another "human chalkboard"? If so, then which one is really her? What if she finds her file, uploads it, lives with it for a season, and then discovers it belongs to someone else? What happens if two dolls upload the same file?

It will be fun watching Joss Whedon balance all these elements. Some of them can get pretty philosophical into the question of "self" - if he wants to go that route. If I had to guess, something tells me that he won't be going the "Quantum Leap" route for long.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I was kidding. I thought Firefly was okay, but by the time it got to the unaired episodes on the DVD, it was getting really special. A shame that one.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Learning new skills instantly reminds me of The Matrix.

I never got pulled into Angel, though I have the whole collection of episodes. The few times I almost saw it (flipping), it never grabbed me. I really liked Buffy, which I didn't think I would. Didn't see an episode until the season was over and I just happened to rent S4 on DVD and got hooked. Firefly was entertaining, but I only saw it on DVD as well. I never saw Tru Calling, so I've only seen Eliza Dushku on Buffy as Faith.

The concept of this show sounds hokey to me, but it's all about the execution (writing, acting, production quality, etc.). My intent is to give it a shot, even if it's only to record the show for the first 7 episodes until I see how it goes.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
He directed something I saw this week.

Since the only sitcoms I ever watch are My Name is Earl and The Office, it must have been one of those.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

You didn't miss much. I went and watched Tru Calling since she's cute (ok, I admit it) but that show had a neat concept for the first.. oh.. four episodes, and then they brought on Jason Priestly and it became a terrible, god awful train wreck.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ahh, a new Joss Whedon show, another chance for the sick bastard to kill off characters we love and fuck with our heads, and hearts, for his own personal amusment. ;) I will NEVER forgive that man for killing Fred...never! :angry:

Of course i'm in. :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But, hey, we can look forward to him reviving/recycling these characters. You just know this series will have room for a lovable but kind of awkward smart girl (Willow/Fred/Kaylie) and a jerk we like for always saying what's on his or her mind (Cordelia/Anya/Jayne)!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks