What's new

New HT.....Starting with LCR for under $400. (1 Viewer)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Ryan,

Have to agree with Alan and Nick: better to get the best possible L/R mains and no center, instead of compromising on a cheaper L/C/R combo. Doing HT with a good pair of L/R mains and no center is far better than listening to music with a pair of crappy L/R mains or crappy L/C/Rs.

I found during my speaker hunt a couple of months ago that nothing under about $1200 could really beat the Ascend 170s, which amazingly go for a measly $340 shipped. Clarity, detail, naturalness, zero listener fatigue...outstanding little speakers. Their only drawback is a less than gorgeous form factor but the sound is definitely gorgeous. (I went with the larger 340s only because I have a cavernous space so I needed the extra driver and wide dispersion tweeters.) Spend the change left over on some wall mounts or speaker stands and you'll be set!

Paradigm and Athena were the two retail brands that I found packed the most value for the money.

And unless you plan on listening to a lot of DVD-A/SACD surround music, the rear surrounds are really the least important speakers, doing barely 10% of the work during most HT apps---I'd recommend going with something like the Polk R15s for $100/pair, for a 15% speaker timbre matching is really beside the point.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Oh and I was leaning toward the HTD level 3 bookshelves. Im going to audition of course but would you guys say the Mini monitors blow away the HTD?

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

You have now started 2 different long threads about what speakers to buy. Get off the computer, and go listen for yourself!! ;)

You're going to be here for a while if your waiting for total agreement from people on which speaker is "best".

Go listen, then go buy what YOU think sounds best!! :)

Darryl

P.S.

For the money you want to spend, start with Athena first!

Nhan_H

Second Unit

I doubt one would "blow" the other away.

If you can find a Paradigm dealer, you can ask if you could bring the L3s in for a comparison. If you don't like them, you can return them within 30 days to get your money back. I can sit here and tell you that the L3s would outperform the mini monitor all day (or vice versa), but it won't do you any good, since you and I most probably hear things differently.

RyanJE

Second Unit
I know im going to listen but I dont have the chance until sunday so im just trying to make my selection as narrow as possible. Im at work when im on this forum so I cant just up and leave as Deryl suggests. But i'll stop posting now if it bothers people.

Thanks all you guys for your helpful input!!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Ryan:
I think Darryl is just making the point that listening for yourself will ultimately be what causes you to pull the trigger on one speaker over another. I don't think he meant that you were annoying anyone by posting :) A lot of us get really excited when someone is in your position. I know for me, it reminds me of when I first went through all sorts of leg work in order to make a decision that worked for me. Of course, few of us actualy stick with that first decision for very long (DAMN that upgrade-itis!), but you get the idea :)

Even though it can be confusing with all the choices and options, remember that this is a hobby that is meant to be enjoyed! And also remember that you may end up finding something that none of us has mentioned in these threads.....ultimately what matters is that it sounds good to your ears. I think that's probably the one point that we all can agree on :emoji_thumbsup:

darrylCHER

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

My post was meant to be taken just as Alan took it.

I thought I used enough smiley faces and !!!'s to let you know it was (mostly ;) ) tongue-n-cheek! :) ;)

Darryl

RyanJE

Second Unit
Oh no offense taken Deryl, I actually was starting to get concerned about how many threads I was starting so I was actually waiting for someone to say something.:) I felt my posting was getting exhausting after they were in the top recent posts for so long. I guess I just felt overwhelmed by all the choices and thought Id sponge off of experienced peoples knowledge. Anyways, I cant wait to get the hunt started!
Ill post back when I find my toys.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
Believe it or not, but you don't own the record for long posts/threads re: purchasing speakers. There was one poster who actually drove all around town, and to different towns mulling over a couple of pairs of speakers. The difference in cost was only like $200. I had to gently remind him that his posts/time/gas/etc. was costing him way more than the price differences :)

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Ryan,

What I meant was, the surround speakers do about 10-15% of the work during most HT, so you would hardly notice if they were timbre matched or not to the fronts.

If I had to guesstimate, during HT the center speaker probably does 60% of the work, then 30% the fronts, and the rest are the surrounds. A nice big full-sized center speaker like the Ascend 340c therefore is worth every penny...however, two high quality fronts alone can IMHO sound far better than a mediocre L/C/R combo...especially given that nowadays most HT receivers have a "phantom center" setting. And listening to most movies in high quality stereo comes very close to mediocre or poor quality 5.1

RyanJE

Second Unit
Hey I was wondering about that. I dont think my receiver has a "phantom setting" I have a pioneer 1014 and I can say "no" to center channel. Would that be a phantom center?

eddieZEN

Second Unit
I'm not familiar with all the different sound processing options on the Pioneer, though I think that if you say "no" to cc then at the very least it automatically distributes the usual cc signal to the front L/Rs. The Onkyo 601 I used to have claimed to "simulate" the presence of a center by running some funny matrix which as I remember was not too impressive...but that was the Onkyo.

Before I got my system I used to listen to movies using a 2.0 setup and it was fine.

BobP

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if you got your speakers yet, but as far as Paradigm goes I can definitely tell you that if you bought from a retail source you would only be able to get the Mini-monitors and no center for $400. As far as retail for Paradigms, you would be able to get the Titans(new) and the CC-170(new) in a package deal perhaps for about your $400 I would think. Now if you go used, say here or elsewhere you may be able to get a used pair of Mini-Mon's and a CC-370(matches the Monitor series)version 2 probably for around $400.

I can tell you personally that if you do not have a "large" room that the Titans/CC-170 is a decent set until you decide to upgrade. This is what I started my HT with and were quite enjoyable. Now have Mini's(v.2) and a CC-370(v.3) for the front stage.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Im going to be checking out the minis this weekend. Theres only one "nearby" dealer so I have a feeling they wont be priced to competitively. What do you consider large?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The HTD Level 3 towers are now on clearance for $350. The center is on clearance for $120. If you could stretch out the budget i think i'd go that way. If not maybe a pair of Swans 2.1s and add a C3 later.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I was in a similiar situation a few years ago. This is how I built my system over the course of a couple years.

I bought a pair of bookshelves(Axiom M22s) for my Mains.

Then I bought a pair of floorstanders(Axiom M60s) and moved the M22s to the back as my surrounds.

Then I finally bought a Center Channel(Axiom VP100). It took me a couple of years but it turned out really nice in the end.

When you are ready to upgrade I would definitely go for the surrounds before the center. Phantom center sounds really good if you are in the sweet spot. The surrounds are what adds a lot of the WOW factor to hometheater especially in action movies. Even in dramas just the little bit of ambient sounds they add can make the experience noticeably better.

You may never need a center channel if you are satisfied with 4.1.

The advantages I've noticed since getting my center are:

1. Being able to adjust the dialog independently of the soundtrack. Some movies have the soundtrack music mixed to loud and it drowns out the dialog. With a center channel you simply bump up the center a decibel or two.

2. It does make the system sound less congested in really busy soundtracks. I guess just having the seperate discrete channel eases the load on your mains to just produce special affects and music.

Dont get too stressed out about your choices it is a hobby. Also more expensive doesnt mean better.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Yea, Im actually working on finding Two High quality fronts (bookshelf) right now. Then Ill swap those to the back. Therefore Im trying to stay in speaker lines who have towers I could pair with the books eventually. Having a good center in the line is a plus but that would be my last piece. Or eventually if I could just get an individual bookshelf instead of center. But for now I want good Fronts. Ill probably complete the rest over the next 1yr.

Oh and for the fun of it Im going to audition HTD new level 3's. Front books and Center.

RyanJE

Second Unit
I must say this is one of the most guiding "what speaker threads" I've read in a while.

Instead of just throwing out ideas you guys are giving great info as to why. :emoji_thumbsup:

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Good post, Jason :emoji_thumbsup:

That's exactly what I WISH I'd have done at first, but it took me a while to figure out that a good 4.1 could be just as satisfying as a 5.1. Even though the surrounds are not nearly as active as the rest of the channels, I agree with you that they can really enhance the movie experience. (Anyone who doesn't believe that, pop in a visceral film such as Saving Private Ryan or Cast Away and turn off the surrounds....completely different experience.) I still don't believe in spending a lot of money on surrounds, but if you have two good main speakers that can present a nice cohesive front stage, I'd definitely go with the surrounds before I'd go with the center.

Other people feel differently, and that's more than fine.....that's what makes this hobby great :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks